★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Turn-and-Tile-Based Crawler 'Dungeonism' $1.99 > Free

10-03-2017, 02:21 AM
Turn-and-Tile-Based Crawler 'Dungeonism' $1.99 > Free

Published in 2013, updated yesterday ("fixed some buggy buttons, iOS 11 support"). Full premium. Free for the very first time. Very recommended!

TA main page review (Eric Ford) 'Dungeonism' Review - Great Dungeon Crawling with a Touch of Rogue

Quote:
At first glance, one might take a look at Jeffrey Fal's Dungeonism [$1.99] and dismiss it as yet another retro-inspired dungeon crawler. However, anyone doing so would be making a big mistake, as they'd be missing out on an impressive addition to the App Store. With a deceptive amount of depth, plenty of content and a great art style, Dungeonism is an excellent addition to the old-school dungeon crawling scene and must be checked out.

Dubbed as a 'rogue-ish' dungeon crawler, Dungeonism challenges players with completing a set number of zones, each offering minor storytelling in the form of narration (or occasionally, cutscenes) found between maps. While the number of levels don't change, each individual map is mostly randomized with each playthrough, meaning a second romp through an already cleared level will be mostly different. There are even maps with multiple levels, emulating the traditional 'endless' nature of standard rogue-likes. These end up being good maps to grind on, with more risk/reward as dying in a map wipes away anything earned in that level.

Dungeonism offers a ton of content. There are a decent amount of zones to discover, each with their own maps. Players can also discover maps in-game, which can be used to unlock new maps or even new zones. While beginning zones are filled with pretty easy enemies (probably my biggest complaint). Later zones up the ante with baddies that offer more than just increased stats, occasional boss battles which require a bit more strategy, and different environments that affect movement, energy, and more. There's plenty of opportunity to grind, improve your characters, and develop your own playstyle to pass those harder zones.

A lot of the appeal of a rogue-like is the ability to simply engage in an endless run until you win or die. I'd argue that Dungeonism's move to take that gameplay and divide it up into zones and maps, combined with its excellent character system, adds a certain amount of purpose that I find missing from more traditional rogue-ish dungeon crawlers. Sure, Dungeonism has a few small issues like the above-mentioned difficulty curve and a tutorial system that could be organized better, but overall it's an excellent title and well worth checking out.
148apps.com (Carter Dotson) Dungeonism is a roguelike for the on-the-go gamer.

TA main thread in the games forum (200+ postings).

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
10-03-2017, 03:35 AM
Fantastic! Thanks!

Game Center: FiloMJ

My Steam Profile
10-03-2017, 07:42 AM
Downloading. Thanks, Habakuk! I rarely miss sales. Somehow this slipped through the radar

Last edited by UnhappyUnlucky; 10-03-2017 at 07:47 AM.
10-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Best icon ever... just saying.

ıllıllı ȼǥɲƹƮȿƹ˅ƹɲ ıllıllı
DEVELOPERS I ADORE
CAT IN A BOX QUANTUM SHEEP CS54 ONE MINUTE GAMES ELEFTHERIOS CHRISTODOULATOS RAVENOUS GAMES ORANGE PIXEL RADIANGAMES CAVE LLAMASOFT (RIP) MADFINGER PASTA GAMES TOUCH FOO KODE80
10-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Completely missed this on release and I'm enjoying it a lot. Very nice stuff thank you