Has the definition of "Universal" changed for Apple? (ie: 3rd gen ipad's resolution)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by the loafer, Mar 22, 2012.

1. the loafer

the loafer Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    So it's a simple question, the term "Universal" always meant for me "works in native resolution of iOS device". I'm not sure that's how Apple saw it but it's how I saw it. So now that we have a new ios device that uses a new resolution, will apple change "universal" to include the new resolution, or will we see a "Universal HD" to signify to us the app supports all 3 resolutions?

Hopefully we'll hear something from apple in the near future. Not a big deal, but they really do need a way to identify to the masses if an app supports the native rez of the 3rd gen ipad.

2. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    That's not what universal means. It only means that the app works on iPhones/iPods/iPads. There are plenty of universal games that don't support the retina displays on 4th gen devices. Just like 4th gen owners had to do research on games to see if they were retina-ready, iPad 3 owners will have to do the same.

3. the loafer

Feb 1, 2011
    #3 the loafer, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    I believe your definition is incorrect? Many iPhone apps are not universal and they work just fine on an iPad, but in 2x mode. ALL universal apps run on an iPad 1 or 2 in its native 1024 x 768 resolution.

http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad-Glossary/g/What-Is-A-Universal-App.htm

"The code for the visual aspects of the app could determine whether the user is using an iPhone or iPad and make the needed changes to correctly display the information. In this way, a universal app running on an iPad can take advantage of the higher resolution of the display."

Here are a couple more links that further explains the term "universal"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_binary

In revisiting this, you are not wrong, you are right, it does not mean "retina" but I do think it is tied to "native resolution", however it is possible apple's definition simply means "full screen". However neither of us know this for sure.

4. the loafer

Feb 1, 2011
    re-reading this sentence, I really cannot argue with it, well said.

5. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I don't know the exact technical definition of universal, but I believe it has to do with an option the developer checks when compiling the app. I remember once a new developer chose to compile his game as universal (he didn't really know what it meant at the time) when there was no native iPad support built in. This led to the game being listed as universal in iTunes, but it would auto-run in 2x mode. And of course, there were complaints from forum posters.

I don't think there's really a reasonable way for Apple to know if a game runs at full resolution or not. Some use black borders because they don't use the entire screen. There's also no well-defined definition for retina-supported. Some games use like 90% high-res assets with some low-res ones speckled in. Other games use all low-res assets, with high-res fonts. And there are a lot of middle cases of mixing/matching high-res and low-res.

It sucks, but owners of retina display devices need to check the game's description to see if it's mentioned there, and if not, then either do a search in the game's thread here on TA or ask in the thread. As of now, there's really no other good way to know.

6. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    I believe you have your definition wrong loafer. Universal is the term used when a game works on both iPhone and iPad in full resulution. The definition there for will nt Duane for the new iPad. Just like it didn't change when the iPhone and iPod's display improved.