Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-14-2013, 06:14 AM

Default Note from the developer

Hello guys,
You can find more information about the game on our web page: [url]http://www.20fingersproductions.com[/url]
There's also the game's manual for download: [url]http://www.20fingersproductions.com/docs/LinesOfFireManual.pdf[/url]

If you have any questions we'll be happy to answer.
Enjoy the game!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:43 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
I'll keep my eyes on this...but to be homest, I'm not a big fan of dice rolls in tacticsl strategy games.

Yeah, I know this is a boardgame, but so was Europa Universalis and Europe on Fire.
The odds of what the dice roll results may be are a perfectly great tactical choice to have to make in strategy games, especially when depicting war, where things don't happen perfectly (e.g., that sharpshooter is going to miss once in a while), but you can make calculated decisions about what the odds of success will be.

I just read the manual and it looks great. I'm buying it. I also thought it was a Memoir 44 clone, but not really (or at least, there's enough that's different to distinguish it). Also, the idea of tilting the screen to show/hide unseen troops is brilliant and a great use of the technology. I'm probably never going to play this other than against an AI, but I do think it's a fun option.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudunza View Post
The odds of what the dice roll results may be are a perfectly great tactical choice to have to make in strategy games, especially when depicting war, where things don't happen perfectly (e.g., that sharpshooter is going to miss once in a while), but you can make calculated decisions about what the odds of success will be.

I just read the manual and it looks great. I'm buying it. I also thought it was a Memoir 44 clone, but not really (or at least, there's enough that's different to distinguish it). Also, the idea of tilting the screen to show/hide unseen troops is brilliant and a great use of the technology. I'm probably never going to play this other than against an AI, but I do think it's a fun option.
An upside down screen may be great during those rare occasions when you have someone in real life who actually wants to play Lines of Fire on the iPad with you and both you you have the same amount of free time for a game at the same time and happen to be both physically in the same room.

In the other 99.99% number of times when playing this game against the AI player, you will be faced with an upside down screen. At least that was what it looked like in that Touchgameplay Youtube video. Can anyone who actually have this app confirm if upside down display can be disabled for single player games?

After I had read the manual the developer linked to, would it be accurate to describe Lines of Fire as a turn based Assault Wave, for those who had played this game?

Last edited by iPadisGreat; 07-14-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Old 07-15-2013, 12:10 AM

Request: since the video is not helpful at all, any reviews, from whatever source, is very much appreciated.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

I have not had any luck finding any reviews or other information about Lines of Fire, other than that Youtube video and the manual...

If anyone knows of any, or who has first hand experience, do share...
Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I wouldn't hold your breath, the devs lack of interest in promoting the game at all isn't encouraging. From what I've seen in the manual and video the game doesn't look worth the asking price. I'm an avid board gamers, I probably have 20 hex and counter physical games so this type of game is right up my alley. These are just my impressions, I haven't played the game so it might be really good. It just strikes me as very odd that a developer would release a game with a premium price tag and put no effort into "advertising". I mean a post on BBG or something would go a long way.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 PM

Notification: price slashed to US$5.99 if you care.

Statement: It could have been a Steel Panther-sic app, but too bad about the choice. Still no motivation to get it.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
I mean a post on BBG or something would go a long way.
The developer did contact us, and we reported about it on BGG here.

The board is always upside down for your opponent, even in single player. There is a layer of opacity that I just don't get. Each move you make costs you Command Points. When you spend them, your opponent gets them (there's a sliding scale from 6-0-6 on the right side of the screen). I cannot figure out how much any move will cost me in terms of Command Points. It almost seems random.

It is very "Memoir'44"-ish. The art looks very similar (I'm going to compare my version's hills and town tiles...they look almost identical to Lines of Fire), and the dice rolling mechanism is nearly identical. Not sure of the distribution on the dice, but I wouldn't be surprised if it matched Memoir's dice. The differences are: you have to request units from HQ instead of them being laid out at the scenario beginning (this costs more of those elusive Command Points), there is sustained lines of fire when you attack (I'm not sure of the strategy or reasoning behind this), and there are no cards to direct troops (you can move one per turn until the level of Command Points goes below 0).

It's not a bad game, so far, but I really have no idea how my Command points are earned, so I feel like I'm running blind right now. The tutorial is pretty terrible, and doesn't really help. The manual is short blurbs, but I couldn't find anything about what actions cost how many Command Points...
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Lines of Fire was reviewed by iPadboardgames which seemed to really like the mechanics but disliked the AI...

iPadisGreatisNotRelatedtoiPadBoardGames...