Universal Tiny Tower: 5th Anniversary Edition (by NimbleBit)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    I have a few concerns myself:

1. Costing 1 Bux to move a single floor is a little unreasonable. Since we obviously always have to build new floors on the very top, our towers forcibly become stacks of stores with residential areas stuck in randomly. Call me a perfectionist, but it makes my tower uncomfortable to look at since the convention in a hotel is to have all the living spaces together above all the stores and stuff. And making my tower look the way I want it to is far too costly at its current price.
    2. Is there anything preventing people from repeatedly firing and re-hiring people in their hotel to get perfect stats for all departments?

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tiny Tower does not seem to be saving my progress with any reliable frequency, or almost at all. I've been rebuilding from second floor for quite some time now.

Also, I've had quite a few crashes, each costing me my progress (see not saving progress, above). The only crash I am able to recreate reliably is the game crashing as soon as I press the "Dress up" button in the character panes.

I am using an iPhone 4 and iOS 4.3.3. If this problem occurs on all such devices, I would advice iPhone 4/iOS 4.3.3 owners to stay away from Tiny Tower for the time being.

3. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    #83 Georgina, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
    So adorable. I'm not far enough into it to have any real impressions, but I've found a couple of tiny bugs so far:

- When I emplyed one of my Bitzens at the photo studio, and he Bitbooked: "Woot, just scored my dream job at the photo studio." But his dream job is actually a game studio. His job isn't being recognised as his dream job in the big Bitzen list so I think the BB message may be a mistake.

- I restarted after about fifteen minutes (I accidentally hit a button and wasn't sure what I'd done, so it seemed safest) but the Bitbook log from my previous characters stayed.

Like I said, tiny bugs, but I thought I'd mention them. Back to my tiny people!

Cheers.

4. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Are you jailbroken? Perhaps your download was corrupted, you might try deleting and re-downloading.

5. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, one more suggestion: Maybe add a notification for when a store runs out of a product?

6. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Not had any problems yet with the same set up

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This device is entirely unbroken ;) Re-downloading does not seem to have fixed any of the problems. Are the savefiles stored solely online? If so, perhaps some sort of connection problem is to blame (though my 100/100 line is working splendidly at the moment), as I did have troubles reaching Game Center at the start of the game.

Hope fer me yet ;)

8. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Your game is saved and loaded locally. I can't think of any possible reason for the crashes during dress ups especially. Will try to take a look at the relevant code tomorrow.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Methanks!

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not trying to be arumentative here, but the game is clearly designed for playing on the go. Suck it up and use your iPhone/iPod. It's great you've got an iPad 2, I'm sure games play wonderfully on it, but I think you knew when you bought it you wouldn't be playing every single App Store game on both devices. This is one of them. It plays great on the smaller devices, just try and enjoy it for what it is.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I've replaced my NZ "purchase" with a UK one, I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to sync the new one over just to be doubly sure it's uploaded the most recent save state possible. If this goes wrong I could lose 10 floors.

12. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Your game might survive deletion and re-installation without restoring from a gamecenter backup.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Would copying the Documents folder using iPhone Explorer backup the save?

On another note: I'm beginning to sympathize with the person wanting floor moving to be cheaper. I'm kinda OCD with collection games and I can't figure out a good pattern of apartments and businesses to keep them all occupied :p

14. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You shouldn't have to manually back up anything. Give it a try.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Alright, I'm going for it. If the game asks me to restore I should decline then, right? Provided I'm seeing the latest developments already of course.

16. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You should be able to see if your game is restored before it prompts you to restore. If it doesn't shoot you to the tutorial you should be right where you left off.

17. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    15 bitizens
    14 floors
    Upgraded elevator

and somehow I'm 3rd place behind people with 8 floors and 10 bitizens?
    Am I missing something? How are the rankings measured? In sales?

18. Jellowpy

Jellowpy Active Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Will having 2 ios device (ipad2 and IP4) result in having 2 towers?? I wont mind if ill have 2 towers if ever 2x the fun but iwm worried that it will cause a problem on my saved file since i have same game ceneter account on both...

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It worked!

I've just remembered a couple of questions I wanted to ask: As there are 80~ buisinesses, will each new floor always be one we haven't had before or could it be a duplicate? Also, is there a maximum number of appartments?

Oh, and I think I noticed another small bug. One of my appartments seemed to paint itself... either that or a bitizen didn't like the theme. It was yellow, then a few minutes later it was purple... I clicked default and it went back to yellow again. I definitely didn't paint it myself as I've still got 100 buckets and haven't used any.

20. Stream

Stream Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    Downloading it now on the Australian app store. It's finally out here. :D