Universal DoDonPachi Blissful Death (by CAVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    #41 Trev1, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    Your kidding right...

it's cave.... Only best in the biz when it comes to this genre... It's actually cheap compared to their others...

Can someone Plz tell me the diff between this and the last don don pachi on ios ...basically I guess I'm askin for impressions.. :)

2. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    actually no, the item which increases the drop rate was quite expensive and was really important, because otherwise you should grind really a lot for the equipment which is needed to get good scores. yes you can win the game even with common equipment but getting good highscores is quite important for cave games.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ahhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhh AHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHH!!!!!

Guess I'm losing more money this week than I had planned.... eufloria, ddp bd, corpse party... Time to get another part time job....

4. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It might be important for you, but I get plenty of enjoyment out of playing the game as it is. I don't need the IAP to get all of the enjoyment I need.

5. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Shouldn't have sold that Psp bro! You would have saved on corpse party at least and also be in PSX Bullethell heaven !

6. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    No, no, no. The item you talk about is not necessary in any way. It's useful in the smartphone mode IF you go for treasures -- aka better equipment, weapons, basically more firepower. Thing is, those things are needless for scoring (I'd say they're bad for it!). To get good scores in SP mode you need to do four things basically. Play on hard mode with Satan's Doll, survive, and don't kill things quickly. The latter is super important, that's why you don't need to be too powerful. At least, I tend to play with lesser gear for score.

All in all, you don't need IAPs to be successful in the game.

/end off topic mode

7. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Important thing to remember here is Dodonpachi Daioujou/Blissful Death predates Daifukkatsu/Resurrection by quite a few years, so this is the prequel. :)

Blissful Death shares a lot more in common with the original Dodonpachi that you might have played in MAME, and is generally considered to be the hardest DDP in the entire series so far.

Whereas Resurrection based the scoring system around bullet cancelling to builld up hyper gauge, then storing your hyper and chaining, Blissful Death is just raw chaining.

There's no bullet cancelling at all - everything must be dodged or bombed out. There is also no leniency with building the hit counter. It doesn't just decrease once the gauge is empty, it completely drops. Every time.

Hypers also work differently. You have a hyper gauge that you fill up on chaining and bee collecting (bees fill the chain gauge more when your hit counter is higher), and every time the hyper gauge fills up, an item drops from the top of the screen that you need to collect.

You can collect up to 5 hypers at one time. However, these don't stack. Once you use the hyper, they ALL get consumed at once, and the hyper count dictates how fast your hit gauge goes up.

You have a choice of two ships - A Type, which is a straight shot, and B Type, which is a wide shot.

You also choose from three 'dolls'. These gauge your power. Shotia increases your shot power, Leinyan increases your laser power, and Exy increases both of them, but only gives you a single bomb instead of three.

8. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA

Very very well said bro exactly what I was looking for and much more ...hardest DDP ? Ouch hell mode shall be freakin wild then! Thanks again bro...

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah I know, I've been regret in it ever since you pmed me... But who woulda thought a psp would be useful? =oP

Anyway... Can't wait to get into blissful death... The way Vally talks about it, it's one of the most hectic Cave games out there...

I stayed up all night last night playing Cave games on my iPad, and it's a LOT easier than on my iPod... Weaving through those intense bullet patterns isn't as stressful. It's re-igniting my love for the games. =oD

10. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    #50 Vally, Feb 8, 2012
    Daioujou is hardcore without a shadow of a doubt. It's up there with Ketsui for difficulty.

That said, this is mainly from a scoring perspective, and as I've mentioned previously I think the unrestricted movement speed of the iOS port is going to help ease the difficulty.

The timing, position and routine on stage chaining is so ridiculously strict that the slightest screw up and drop of a chain mid-stage leaves a ridiculous sized hole in your score that you simply aren't going to recover. I personally just found it frustrating but the top tier shmup fanatics consider it one of the best.

11. relsircspotcat

relsircspotcat Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Apps Developer
    so excited for this game to come out later. :)

I've bought all cave games, so far haven't been disappointed yet.

12. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I guess my 3GS and I will be sitting this one out. *angrily kicking a rock*
    Seems to be happening a lot more lately.

13. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Japanese store just got it. :) I'll post impressions up shortly.

14. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I haven't been able to give it too much of an extended play as I'm at work, but the application is completely iPhone. As previously mentioned, it isn't even universal like Bug Princess was. Which means iPad users will be playing it in a 2x window.

Oh, and I was wrong about the game being easier to chain with touch controls... Gulp.

Interestingly, they seem to have added a Wait Control option in the menu so you can toggle whether you want slowdown or not. Why anyone would want to play this without slowdown is beyond me. :)

15. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #55 eev, Feb 8, 2012
    if you dont get enjoyment from the main aims of the cave games, which are highscores than it's you but still getting needed equipment for highscores is too complicated without buying that iap.

16. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I read the description a few times, does this not work on the original ipad?

I have an ipad2 as well but I play most everything on my ipad.

17. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    No support for 3GS. :(

18. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    well that doll it quite hard to get without charm, even if it's on normal. and you still want to have the banishing broom, which you can get only on hard in the castle and the drop rate is ridiculous, so you need powerful setups to grind on hard and with charm you can get it more easily.

19. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    #59 0-FeliX-0, Feb 8, 2012
    Oh, the torturous wait for this to come out...

(This is just one of those times where I feel blessed that I have an iPod instead of an iPad)

20. zeth

zeth Active Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Anyone know if one of the modes has a grazing mechanic like DDP: Res. smartphone mode?