Universal Rogue Heroes (by Peter Shoferystov)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Apr 15, 2014.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Same here. I'm still not sure. Maybe playing on the iPad makes a difference, or you (not YOU, but whoever has an iPad) can see things that, on the phone, I can't...

But I'm still thinking that they're inspired by, not directly ripped from. Going back and playing Scribblenauts Remix, while they do look similar, I haven't seen anything that was exactly the same. I should also say that I did just re-install Scribblenauts, so I haven't been able to really see too many characters, as with Rogue Heroes - I've only played 5-6 games now, and haven't gotten very far, but I've also not seen too many costumes.

Maybe you guys know what/who to look for - and can find some scribblenauts images - or something, and could post a side-by-side?

2. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    K... here's Batman in Scribblenauts and the Batman mask in this game - along with a viking, and the closest looking viking image I could find with a scribblenauts tag on it (I'm not really sure if it is from the game, which I'm not sure because of this---

[​IMG]

So...

Yeah...

Attached Files:

3. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Looks inspired by it (heavily so) but it doesn't look at all ripped in my opinion...

4. agaetis181

agaetis181 New Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Wow @ all the negativity. I find this game to be pretty fun. Should only be 99c though. I also find the new Hitman game to be awful while others are praising it.
    >dem opinions

5. LightningX32

LightningX32 Member

Apr 17, 2014
    New York
    Anyone give this game a try yet? Thinking about grabbing it but on the fence.

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    So,far I like it. The controls aren't as bad as people say they are, or at least I don't find them to be. The game just doesn't follow the tried and true convention of how wall jumping normally works from the days of Batman and a Ninja Gaiden back on the NES, which is sad because it's a simple concept that has been around so long for this developer to overlook with its own wall jumping mechanics. In this game the wall jumping feels more like N+ If N+'S jumping wasn't reactive. I can literally climb a wall with wall jumping on one side without ever having to traverse back and forth.

I like the game so far. It is difficult due mainly to mastering the controls, but I find it fun and not nearly as bad as some here are saying. I will say that I wish (as always) that I could move the buttons as I find the button layout to not be ideal for iPad gamers, but it's not so much a deal breaker either. So far a decent game from the couple of stages I've played!

7. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    This is the first one I found, if you compare it with the wizard head at 0:33 in the trailer you should see that, although not an absolute rip, it's clear that it's the same wizard just recoloured. The angles of the beard are identical as are the ones in the hat - I imagine I could find more as well, this was one of the first I checked so not exactly filled with confidence unfortunately.

Attached Files:

8. PeterSh

PeterSh Member

Apr 16, 2014
    #28 PeterSh, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Hello guys.
    My apologize to anyone who was confused/offended by character graphics. Yes, it was heavily inspired by Scribblenauts (some of them even to much). All the other graphics was bought from an artists or downloaded from royalty-free websites like OpenGameArt etc.
    I admit my mistakes and promise to make changes in the nearest update, which will be available ~ in three weeks MAX (I wish it could be faster, but the appstore approvement takes a while). Meanwhile, I'm pulling the game off from the store until the update will be released.
    Also there will be a bunch of game balancing fixes, some new content and gameplay improvements (for example, upgrades won't be wiped after player's permanent death. However, the upgrades price will be increased)
    Sorry again, I didn't expect that much of negative attention. This is my first experience in such level of game development and I'll do my best to change cons to pros in future updates.

9. Paps Shenanigan

Paps Shenanigan Active Member

Apr 10, 2011
    That's pretty noble of you to approach it in this way. I compliment you on your strive to make a better game and listen to the community of gamers who have played it. A lot of Devs don't give two shits as long as they have a game on the shelf. I was pursuing purchasing the game today when I saw it wasn't there. I hope you make all the improvements necessary to make it as solid of a game that it looks to be. Cheers.

10. WoodLoaf

WoodLoaf Active Member

Jan 27, 2013
    It has potential

11. PeterSh

PeterSh Member

Apr 16, 2014
    #31 PeterSh, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    Rogue Heroes are back on the App Store. Updated.
    Changes:
    - new character graphics
    - player upgrades and gold coins are now secured even after the perma-death
    - control improvements
    - minor bug and enemy AI fixes
    - price dropped to 0.99$ (no inn-apps)
    And some gameplay video, of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dA-49-1oxQ

New content are coming in June.

12. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Really like the look of this, any impressions?

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Eh... The controller support (on MOGA/extended), doesn't really work. You can use the joystick to move but that's it. No menu support, no jump button no attack... No dpad... I know it's beta, but I hope this is fiddled with soon.

14. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Could you comment on whether the on screen controls are better with this patch? I see there were complaints beforehand.

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'd say yes. The wall jumping feels better, and the controls do feel tightened up and smoother. Personally, the wall jumping could use a few more little tweaks, but it's definitely not something that's going to keep me from playing, and enjoying, the game anymore.

16. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Excellent, thank you :)

17. PeterSh

PeterSh Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Okay, got it. Apologize, I was testing the game with xbox gamepad and moga controller on an android device. Worked well. I'll delete this from feature list till the next update (which will surely have full gamepad support for iOS)

18. gng75

gng75 Member

Jan 22, 2014
    IMO the game is too hard. Too much going on that will kill you, and it gets in the way of enjoying the level design, etc. the controls aren't tight enough (for me) to really get into playing for longer than a few minutes - which is a shame because I'd like to. Too many things ranged against you, like even the bullets need upgrading to be effective.

19. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    As a rogue with persistent upgrades, it's almost too easy. Definitely not too hard from where I'm standing. Difficulty is subjective though.
    I think the controls are pretty good with the exception of wall jumping.
    On a side note, when you're holding onto a wall your character should shoot away from it. As is he just shoots the wall unless you jump off of it, which is a chore given it's the only problematic issue with the controls.

20. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    This looks good! How's the procedural generation? For those who've played it a bit, do the levels seem repetitive or are they fairly random?