iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Hi Mack, The Undead is the faction of characters (cards) and The Swamp is the area on the map where they live (black outline). So sometimes you might hear us talking about the Swamp monsters. Someone correct me if Im wrong there.

Re: the forum, personally I wouldn't bother, makes no difference where we chat and there's more chance of new players seeing the thread here. I would ask them if you are allowed to have a 'forum link' on your website leading here (let them do the work lol).

Maybe in the future when there's lots of players and you need to jump in and moderate?

2. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    AI

I'd like to see more variation in the AI decks as they do become very predictable. When you make the changes, Bloodfire Peaks at level 50 is really tedious. He puts out 5 Magmaspheres, then a couple of Wild Growth cards, and then every turn you have to wait for him to go through 7 animations.

Whilst Im being petty, the main page writing "spellcraft decent into chaos", I think it needs sharpening up. It's looks like 3D when you are not wearing the glasses. I find it fuzzy looking on my iPad retina screen and my iPhone 4, maybe it's better on other people's devices?

I've just seen the video on your news page, it's fabulous. I also saw Sheinfells deck submission, I'd love to submit my deck but then you'll all just beat me in 2 player lol.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE X X X

3. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    #283 Steve at ThreeGoblins, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

Yes , it's the same. Each faction had to be given some sort of name in-game so we opted for a terrain or element for each.
    Eg Ocean, Fire, Air....

The undead hail from the swamps and swamp is therefore mostly concerned with the undead. However other things might live there too...

4. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    #284 Steve at ThreeGoblins, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
    I will look into that particular deck. Random decks won't be coming any time soon but they *will* one day. The next update will see which deck you get to fight vary a bit (eg you might have to face the previous deck to the one you were expecting)

Incidentally, you can switch all animations off from settings screen if you really want the fastest play experience.

Steve @ Goblin Xmas HQ

5. Krossek

Krossek Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Germany
    #285 Krossek, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    With the fast and friendly help from the goblins I m back in the game with my previous achievements restored.

Thanks to the goblins ! ��

Until now I played against the AI because I never found a player on the game center :(.

If some of you guys are looking for a fast win I ll be the victim :D

Look for krossek33.

Happy Xmas to you

OK! Now I realized how to find a Partners for a spellcraft game in the game center.....please be patient with an old man ��

6. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Glad all is sorted Krossek.

Wish Apple would sort Game Center...had lots of problem today with inviting friends in various games I play!

Steve @ ThreeGoblins Xmas HQ

7. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    I was having the same Steve, although you and Krossek were overlapping invites so it became a stale mate.

And I had that horrible thing where a two players match starts, but you get an empty board, the only way out is to close it then it says YOU LOSE and you drop down the ranks even further!

Hello to new player Frank the Ripper. It says he is level one but he certainly had me on the hop earlier!

Nice to see a few people in the two player today!

8. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Hi Krossek,
    nice to see that you figured out Gamecenter :) accepted your friend request right away.
    And your comment about being from the abacus generation (don't know how to properly translate "Rechenschieber" into English, and too lazy to look it up now) made me smile big time.
    While I am a bit younger than you, I can be quite oldfashioned with my gadgets; to my girlfriend's amusement, I have a mobile phone that is specifically designed for elderly people.

Now, all I need is some time to actually play...

and Cat, 65 points and top spot in player vs player?
    Who the heck did you play against, and how long did that take you?
    Anyways, BIG applause for that! Definitely not easy to get there.

9. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    something unrelated

Oh, and, Krossek:
    How does Speedball play on an iPad? I remember playing the original on my c64 way back when :) so I am somewhat interested, if only for nostalgia reasons.

10. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
  11. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Steve do you have an iPhone?

I was thinking if so, you have my email address and can add me on iMessage? That way you can let me only when you want to play (I only need about a minutes notice) but also it might make communicating during play easier.

I always seem to be hanging around in the lobby then your invite comes in, or vice verse.

Although its great to see last few days there have been new players in the lobby so it's less of a struggle to get a game.

12. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #292 Sheinfell, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    @Mark: just played your challenge.
    "Score 40 in campaign" means level 40, right?
    I am past that already, but did not get a confirmation message or anything after finishing the game.
    And it did not help with updating GC, I am still stuck at lvl43 there.
    I even changed my GC username, to see if that updates it, but apparently not.

If anyone of you checks the campaign leaderboard, do you see me as Null/Zone, or as Sheinfell? This might give a hint if anything on GC updates for me currently.

I remember having had a similar problem a good while ago, then with the PvP score. It did not update for a few days, after at first flawlessly updating after every match.

But now it is almost two weeks, and it looks like a bug to me.

Hhmm, sidethought: might this be related to the GC match connections I have sometimes, as in having a common root cause? It happened a few times that an automatch got done, but then got stuck at various points (automatch screen with "connecting" message, with the board not populated, and either only my username, or no username at all showing).

@Cat: Using iMessage is a good idea :) Will have to setup another email account (sigh! another...) to use it, as my iPad is WiFi only, and I don't want to use my normal one for that.

@Goblins: Is it possible without setting up your own server (=using GC) to add an ingame lobby: a place where people who wait for an automatch can chat?

13. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    No, sorry. I don't have a cell phone at all here :(

14. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Sheinfell, I've passed on your queries to Mike, but sounds like GC is confused. You show as "Null Zone" by the way.

Steve@ThreeGoblins

15. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Sheinfell, I have lightning-fast responses for you:

Challenges : We don't support or use those. Mark said he pressed it by accident as he didn't know what it did :rolleyes:

Chat Lobby : possible but not anytime soon.

GC level : Mike pondering the matter.

Steve @ 3Goblins

16. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    We are headed for a small update as soon as we can. This is mainly to deal with Game Center misbehaving.
    The App size also needs to be made smaller so we've had it on a strict diet over the holidays!

There will be a handful of very basic amendments to a few cards, these being most likely:

Heart of Darkness -1 cost
    Accursed -1 cost
    Dark Secrets -1 cost
    Taken Under : +1 cost
    Skeleton Crew : will be improved a bit to grab better stuff
    Triton Waveriders: -1 ability cost
    Shimmershoal : will get same ability as Triton Waveriders

Nothing big, just thought I should let you know. We do not plan to have regular changes to cards as this annoys people , especially me :)

And to keep our resident Cat happy, a certain AI Deck has had a goblin pick-axe taken to it.

Steve @ ThreeGoblins

17. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Hi Steve, thanks alot for the quick replies, much appreciated.
    And the update sounds good, you guys do amazing work.

Well, now he knows :p

No rush, there is more important stuff.

Good luck to Mike, take care that his head doesn't explode ;)

Raising the cost for "Taken Under" by 1:
    Quite needed I guess, as the "Lost / Taken Under" combo is brutal. Well, will have to come up with another strategy; makes for a good challenge.

Might I suggest to add a timer to the "Accursed" card as well?
    And I disagree with making it cheaper than the 4 it costs now.
    It is extremely powerful, and most other cards that do similar nasty stuff (e.g. Psychic Vortex, Narrow Tunnels) also have a timer. With the cost lowered to 3, and no timer, it will most likely become the new "Taken Under" card.
    Hhmm, one fiendish way around this could be to make it affect both players, like Psychic Vortex does. In this case, you might not even need the timer, and a cost of 3 could be okay too.

"You do not want to make the Cat angry" (movie quote, guess which one? Hhmm, she should get her own card, how about that? Some bad kitty in dusty boots... :p ) . No idea which AI deck you talk about, but none of them are difficult to win against. But whatever keeps the Cat happy :D

18. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    We are headed for a small update as soon as we can. This is mainly to deal with Game Center misbehaving.
    The App size also needs to be made smaller so we've had it on a strict diet over the holidays!

There will be a handful of very basic amendments to a few cards, these being most likely:

Heart of Darkness -1 cost
    Accursed -1 cost
    Dark Secrets -1 cost
    Taken Under : +1 cost
    Skeleton Crew : will be improved a bit to grab better stuff
    Triton Waveriders: -1 ability cost
    Shimmershoal : will get same ability as Triton Waveriders

Well that's me buggered haha. And Mike the goblin, the lost/taken under is his signature.

And okay, I'll say it, I don't want to, but I agree about the accursed being too cheap at 3 cost. I feel genuinely bad laying that damn card and there's always a massive pause while you know your opponent is thinking 'oh nuts....what do I discard!!'

Also, many a time I have two accursed in my deck, so it's feasible I could lay 2 in one turn. That's savage!

It's a good idea to have the accursed affect both players...I SUPPOSE!! Maybe that's a new card in itself for a future deck though. The timer is a fair option, same as narrow tunnels now have, they were a little bit of an unfair advantage before.

Sheinfell, I think I was moaning about Bloodfire peaks which had all the smegmapheres and natural growths....waiting for the animation each turn was tedious.

And, if its the last thing I do, I most certainly WILL get my own card. I have no idea how, but I WILL. I don't know what character though, Fairies are lame, goblins are (eek...sorry guys) ugly. I already know what my special power will be but need to figure out how it would fit into a faction theme.

Why don't you design a card too? Your style of play is similar to Steve....BIG heavy hitters that like clubbing things over the head.

Mark Goblin, I will design his card. It is called 'Death by 1000 papercuts'. It's an item that spits out random papercuts and nips the ass of random cards each turn. It will cost 3 to play.

I have spoken!

19. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Sorry, I'm in a stupid mood today. Friday and all that :D

20. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Who's signature? Mike's or mine's? Sorry, confused here.
    Have to give credit here to graymane48. I played him like a dozen times in a row (yes, he got alot of his 54 points score from me), with different decks, and he totally curbstomped me every time with the Lost/TU combination. The deck I mainly use now is modeled after his actually, with some modifications for my playstyle.

"Accursed" card:
    I did not manage to get more than 2 out against the AI yet, so question:
    What happens when you play 3 or 4, and get your opponent below a zero card hand?

Agree, alot of animation cards were a bit of a hassle. Good thing we can turn them off now to speed up things :p

You need a cat card, of course! Go watch "Puss in Boots" for inspiration. On my version, there is a bonus short movie with 3 little kitties, something like them would be a fun card, too.

That was just the style that fit me best so far. I am already experimenting with a few new approaches, but with TakenUnder still being 3points, nothing beats my current deck in terms of speed and nastiness. Wait and see...

Hhmm, how about a Paper(cut) Golem?
    Serious, all 3 of you goblins should have your own card.
    From your logo: The middle goblin is "Superior Thinking", something like "gives back 2 power when activated" . The painter on the right could be alot of things; from "paint your own monster by numbers" (allows you to draw a - random(?) - monster from your deck), to "my colors!" (taking over an enemy minion) . Only for the left one I do not have a good idea at the moment, mainly because I cannot clearly see what he is holding (is it a laptop?).