Support our Sponsors:

Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I agree about RTS games and this includes Tower defense games too, and card games as well, will play so much better on a larger screen. That said, im not a big RTS fan at all, nor a tower defense fan. So my opinion would lie more true on games that handle pretty well on the mini.

Ended up abandoning my ipad3 (and decided to give it to my father-in-law) as the minipad proved to be of more worth to me than the retina pad.

But the the points above are all still purely subjective.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:29 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
I have 3 words for you, iPad Mini 2.

When that launches without retina, again, it will be iPad 3 redux...
Not the same thing. If Apple had waited until the mini had a Retina screen and the hardware to make proper use of it before releasing it, there still wouldn't have been one at all until the end of this year (if at all), which means they would have lost money and market share, and they made a lot of money on the device precisely because so many people wanted it and there wasn't anything quite like it in Apple's existing lineup (the 3rd-gen iPad was still an iPad, and people who already had one weren't necessarily inclined to "upgrade").

After the mess in 2012, I find it very unlikely that they'd go ahead and push out a pointless second Retina-free mini, or a "3rd-gen-style" iPad mini 2 that doesn't actually have the hardware to power its Retina screen optimally, but I guess we'll burn that bridge when we come to it. ^_-
Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Not the same thing. If Apple had waited until the mini had a Retina screen and the hardware to make proper use of it before releasing it, there still wouldn't have been one at all until the end of this year (if at all), which means they would have lost money and market share, and they made a lot of money on the device precisely because so many people wanted it and there wasn't anything quite like it in Apple's existing lineup (the 3rd-gen iPad was still an iPad, and people who already had one weren't necessarily inclined to "upgrade").

After the mess in 2012, I find it very unlikely that they'd go ahead and push out a pointless second Retina-free mini, or a "3rd-gen-style" iPad mini 2 that doesn't actually have the hardware to power its Retina screen optimally, but I guess we'll burn that bridge when we come to it. ^_-
Burn the Bridges HD

That is a catchy app title. I wonder why no developer had sold that game yet?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I think it's a bit too early for me to decide between the new mini and ipad 5. I'm really planning on getting one of the new ipads, and should be able to afford the ipad 5.

I really hope Apple doesn't screw up the mini. I'd like to go the cheap route, but I don't want another badly inferior product like I already have.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Ill probably get a mini at some point in the future, to use as a handheld mainly. i love my ipad 2 and not planning to sell it but the size of the mini does fit much more comfy holding it like a console pad so when it gets 128gb and a beefier processor Ill get one.

I really dont think retina makes such a difference on the bigger screens, I seem to noticed much much more on the smaller devices. I do have an ipad 4 and it has an amazing screen for sure with some games looking incredibke beautiful on It, its just something that would not have weight on my purchase decision.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

I own both a mini and an ipad 2, and I use the mini more because of portability.

Like those who posted before, being able to hold the mini in one hand for long periods of time is a definite win, a trade off worth lacking the retina, beefier cpu and larger screen estate. It still performs as fast as the ipad 2 anyway. Cheaper than a full sized ipad too.

The ipad 4 definitely has more horsepower and that large, nice retina screen, so go with that if you're more concerned with having those.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:53 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post

Ended up abandoning my ipad3 (and decided to give it to my father-in-law)
whipped haarrrrrrrrrd

Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
That game is obviously not optimised to run on iOS. It looks more like a PC roguelike that was just straight ported to iPad. So that game is the last one you should use as an example of the functionality of various screen sizes in the iPad or iPad Mini.
You're correct about it being a PC game, but there is one very good reason to use it as an example...

...it's one of the best damn games you could ever hope to play on iPad.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Personally, I have an iPad Mini with no intention of getting a full size iPad. Aside from the games, everything I would want/need an iPad to do I can do with my computer - and its size would mean it'd end up on a stand on my desk, right next to my computer. I do have an iPhone, and can (and do) enjoy iOS games on it. Essentially for me, iPads were nifty but I'd never use them enough to justify the price.

However, I have a messenger bag that comes with me everywhere. My Kindle fits perfectly into it. After seeing the size of the iPad Mini and handling it - helping a friend solve the "four pictures and a word" game, of all things - I had a renewed interest in getting an iPad, one that'd fit just as well in my bag as a Kindle and would be just as portable.

I went home, I did my research and read all the articles/blogs/websites about the Mini that I could get my hands on, and decided to get it. The only hesitation I had wasn't iPad vs Mini, but whether to wait for the iPad Mini 2. (I'm glad I didn't wait, though if the Mini 2 has retina I might sulk a little.)

This is, of course, just my personal opinion & experience. YMMV, and all of that. But I wanted to contribute as someone who wouldn't (and didn't) buy an iPad until the Mini caught my eye. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy with my PC and my iPhone.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM

My advice is yo buy the newest device you can afford. Buying a mini or ipad 2 and you will find ourself orphaned out quicker than a ipad 4 or a newer ipad mini when they are available. I have a mini which i bought december of last year love it but am already seeing games like Xcom that rate it as the lowest common denominator for use. Btw that game runs just fine on mine but the forums are full of complaints on the mini and ipad 2'. As always YMMV this is IMHO.