Tree Wars - a squirrel-strategy game (by Funday Factory)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Funday Factory, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    This sounds like it's very much in my wheelhouse, and looks great. Wish I'd seen this earlier, when codes were available.

2. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Is this a castle defense style game? Artwork looks fantastic!

3. Funday Factory

Funday Factory Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Aarhus, Denmark.
    Thank you! It is castle-defense style game indeed. I hope you'll all check it out next week when we release it :)

4. Funday Factory

Dec 13, 2012
    Aarhus, Denmark.
    I have updated the main post with new screenshots, release date, and info on how you can get an early-access promo code for Tree Wars. Even though the testing is done, we would love to hear what you guys think about the game.

5. Funday Factory

Dec 13, 2012
    Aarhus, Denmark.
    Hey Guys. Tree Wars patch 1.2 is now live! Since we are 6 days short of release, you probably wont be able to update the game if you have redeemed a 1.1 promo code. If you want to try the new patch, let me know and I will send you a new code. The patch notes are as follows:

* Fixed a bug in level 2 where a squirrel would get stuck (Thanks to JCho133 from the TA forum)

* Fixed a bug where the AI’s fireball cooldown was reduced permanently, resulting in a barrage of fire and mayhem (Thanks to Jrec15 and ste86uk from the TA forum)

* Fixed a bug where the next level would not unlock after a victory, if the retry button was used in a previous attempt (Thanks to Jrec15 from the TA forum)

* Fixed a bug where flying squirrels would ressurrect after retrying a level (Thanks to ste86uk from the TA forum)

* Turned up the music volume (Thanks to Exact-Psience from the TA forum)

* Turned down the difficulty of early levels

Thanks for beta testing guys!

6. LegACy99

LegACy99 Active Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Oooh, would love to have an early-access promo code for the game, where do I sign up? =D

7. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    If I read the first post it said to post for a code? Or did I read part of it that was older? I would love a chance to play it early if so!

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Great that you got those fixes in! Glad I could help :)

9. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    The game is so very fun. Finished level 2 - only on the first difficulty level. It appears there are two more to increase the re-play value. Is it normal to have to unlock the heroes each level? I am not sure I really like that as if the difficulty gets way harder it will be tough at the start. Or maybe it is supposed to be that way?

More when I play more. Bottom line - get this guys. Just get it.

10. Funday Factory

Dec 13, 2012
    Aarhus, Denmark.
    Thank you very much for the kind words!

Yes, you are supposed to unlock the squirrels/spells in each level. We designed it this way, so you have to take a strategic choice on what you want to unlock first. The game will get harder and harder, but there is always a victory strategy! We made sure of it :)

11. LegACy99

LegACy99 Active Member

Dec 3, 2012
    #71 LegACy99, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    Finally got around to playing the game and I just finished level 5 (and also finished level 2 on 2nd difficulty).

Quick question, is level 5 intended to be easier than level 4?

Anyway, on to my opinion:
    Overall it's a decent strategy game, though I wish there's more variety/depth to the strategical aspect of the gameplay. So far my strategy is to just keep spamming and leveling up the melee and ranged unit and it's been working wonderful. I don't even know if a strategy based on using magic would even be viable.

And also another question, does the enemy only use their flying unit if we unlock/use the flying unit too? Because I only use the flyer on level 3 and that's the only time the enemy use that unit.

And speaking of the flying unit, I will just say that they are the most unique type of unit so far in the game. And because of that, they needed a totally different approach, making the game more "deep". Too bad I didn't see more of them =/

Okay, time to list some bullet points!
    What I liked:
    > The transition between scene is cool, I like it and it gives a nice first impression too =3
    > I really liked how the path/map is branching, it adds more decision making to the game =D
    > The progression/difficulty ramping is really nice to, I learn something new every level
    > I quite liked that each level has multiple difficulty, it adds to the game replayability.

What I think is problematic:
    > There should be some sort of indicator when a button is pressed. Right now, the buttons only changes/animates AFTER we release the touch, which means we don't know if our initial press hits the button or no.
    > And my first point leads to my confusion when I first tried to use the magic. I don't really read the tutorial :)p) , so when I tried to press the magic button and it does nothing, I'm confused on how to use that magic stuff.
    > I don't think there's any clue/hint/tutorial that the upgrade menu exists. Seems like a lot of people could miss that.
    > And when I tried the upgrade menu for the first time, I don't know that the 4th upgrade bar is for the flying unit, since I haven't encountered that unit yet. So at first I thought it was a general upgrade for all units, until I finally met the fliers. I'm just glad there's a reset upgrade button.
    > The unit behavior seems inconsistent. For example, when they're attacking enemy base/dam and encounter an enemy unit, should they switch target or keep attacking the base? Sometimes I see them keep attacking, another time I see them changing to attack the enemy units instead =/

Whoa, that's kinda long. And sorry for nitpicking so much >.<

12. Funday Factory

Dec 13, 2012
    Aarhus, Denmark.
    Thank you VERY much for the in-depth feedback LegACy. We appreciate it a whole bunch, especially the nitpicking :) Now on to your questions.

Level 5 is not intended to be easier than level 4. If you found it easier, I hope it is because you got better at the game or found a perfect strategy quicker.

Multiple strategies are viable on normal difficulty, but as the difficulty ramps up, there are probably fewer and fewer ways to win. A strategy based purely on magic is probably not viable, as most magic spells excel with multiple squirrel targets.

In some maps, the AI will use flying squirrels even if you haven't unlocked them. Hopefully, you will see more of them in the later levels when it becomes a staple in his arsenal :)

Your UI feedback is particularly useful to us! We are adding those UI concerns to the drawing board of the next patch. It would be nice if there was no confusion when it comes to these things.

The unit behavior can appear inconsistent, but they are meant to keep attacking a target until they or their target dies. If it looks like they switch targets, it could be because multiple squirrels are stacked up and some of them joined the stack a bit later. The latecomers will shoot at whatever is closest.

Thanks again for all your feedback. It's gold!

13. Funday Factory

Dec 13, 2012
    Aarhus, Denmark.