Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    No, it's not meant to be. The graphics are shoddy, and the framerate is incredibly low. You won't have a fun, interesting experience with it, and thus, it's not meant to be played with an iPhone 4. Use a higher-end device.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    *sigh* I'm having a fun, interesting experience with it and I'd recommend it to anyone with an iPhone 4. If you've got an iPod touch 4th gen though...forget about it.

3. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Once you have completed the story, does everything remain unlocked so you can continue to replay levels, upgrade items etc?

4. Adamo

Adamo Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Yep everything is free to replay.

5. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    There are three locations with six levels in each, plus two levels as you travel between them. So that's 20 levels plus the "arena" modes in each location. (there may be more, I'm not done yet) Judging by my progress so far (I'm 75% complete) I would estimate that it takes around 10 hours to play through the story levels, but you could add as many hours as you like on top of that playing in the arenas and replaying levels.

6. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    ok now we know this game isnt short, how hard is it?

7. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Thanks

I think I got confused because Of the name, having the previous mission been about the bear pygon and honey, and with switching gates back and forth a little. Thanks for the help!

8. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    The game gets harder as you progress, but it isn't exactly hardcore. I think the difficulty level feels just right for the average casual gamer.
    If you want something more challenging, I recommend the arena levels. You play wave after wave of battles earning currency along the way. (lots of it, later in the game) You can opt out at any point after each battle and take the currency you have earned, but if you continue and die, you lose the lot.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    QFT. Think infinity blade. The enemies attacks will come out faster and hit harder later on, but their patterns are still there, which you shouldve familiarized yourself with along the way.

10. regkilla

regkilla Well-Known Member

lol. iPhone 4 FTW!!!

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Heeeellz yeah~!

12. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Great shots. What a visual masterpiece this game is , I never expected my ipad2 would have something so beautiful , in the form of a true console-like game (unlike things like the IB games ) . The older devices were definitely holding back games for the newer ones .

13. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Can someone please explain in plain English (small words!) which iOS devices have this Tegra thing (and whether it not it makes a difference in Horn).

Also, can people please stop bitching about people bitching? This is the Internet FFS. Yeah, there are problems in the third world and animals dying and whatnot. If that stuff bothers you do much, why not go save the planet and stop hanging around on a forum that exists specifically to discuss games that run on first world devices. ;-p

14. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #494 EightRooks, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
    I was having a fun, interesting experience with what I played on an iTouch, thanks. Was I 100% happy with it? No, of course not; I understand it's visually cut to shreds, not intended to be played on such limited hardware, so on. I wish I wasn't nearly broke, wish I could afford to get an iPad 3 too. I can also understand that Phosphor must be somewhat nervous about saying "Yes, there's a patch that makes it work on iTouch devices now" given lots of people on this very forum will probably interpret that as "The game will look like these screenshots on an iPod Touch" whether or not English is their first language. (Hint: It won't. Like I said before, on an iTouch 4G it looks pretty much like a PS2 RPG from about halfway through that console's lifespan.)

But if they do patch it, and the game carries on working for me past the point it crashed, at the same framerate and all, I will happily play the thing to completion. The art design and the audio were both still obviously very good, the game was getting fun to play, and despite the low resolution and lack of effects it ran at what I'd call a more than acceptable framerate with only the odd serious glitch or brief freeze. Only the 2D cutscenes looked utterly horrible with the detail down so low. I'd like to play it the way it was intended to be played, but what I got was still an acceptable compromise given my limited resources and I'd definitely like to see more.

No iOS devices have a Tegra graphics chip in, as far as I'm aware. It's Nvidia's technology for Android phones and tablets. Nvidia has made a lot of noise recently about persuading developers to release Tegra-exclusive versions of their games which normally won't run on anything that doesn't have a Tegra chip, with added graphical details that don't appear on other releases. People get angry about this partly because they like to think that the shiny toy they bought is the best of all the shiny toys, but to be fair it's also because it's been proved that if you've rooted your Android device and run the right programs first some Tegra games will run fine on much less powerful hardware than they're supposed to. I don't know that Nvidia have flat-out lied about their technology but they definitely seem to be much more interested in marketing it as the best thing EVAR!!1!!1! than actually making that be the truth.

I'm really not that bothered I don't have a Tegra device - many of the games that will only run on a Tegra chip are not that great and a lot of the Tegra-exclusive graphical features are just pointless. Shadowgun's Tegra features are flat-out ridiculous - incredibly realistic water! Never mind we've just added it to all the existing levels for no good visual reason and poured it in where it doesn't make sense, look how realistic those ripples are!!!!1!1! Yeah, I'll keep my £500, thanks. No offence intended to Phospor - the intro clip to Horn does look pretty, if that is the Tegra version. But I'm not seeing anything that makes it a whole different game, and I already know I can't afford the most powerful shiny toys around. :)

15. Shinsaku

Shinsaku Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Basically I agree with the previous post about calling this Horn HD and maybe in the future release a SD version for older models. Grant it, I own an iPod Touch and still wanna get it to see what the fuss is about. I know the limitations of the iTouch but would still wanna see if (after the patch is released) I can make it thru the game.

16. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    Wondering if there are any possibilities of alternate control schemes in the future. (joystick movement instead of touch to move)

17. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    @EightRooks

Great reply, thank you.

18. iosgamer4s

iosgamer4s Active Member

Aug 19, 2012
    #498 iosgamer4s, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
    I am at Westernesse and seem to be stuck at the stupid wheel with arrows again. This time the game doesn't cause Horn to "stick" in a spot like it did in Sudenne. But the wheel keeps reverting back to its original position as soon you hit it.

This is a very awkward type of checkpoint control. It there a way to get rid of this altogether?

Speaking of checkpoints, can the saving be more frequent? I am tired of fighting the same characters towards the middle of a level, only to be reverted back again at the very beginning the next time I try to pick up where I left off.

It seems that this partnering with Zynga requires in app purchase. Otherwise, your stuck. I think IB2 just has the right blend of IAP and earning points without purchase.

19. iosgamer4s

iosgamer4s Active Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I am experiencing the same problem at Westernesse, minus the "sticking" part. The wheel keeps reverting back to its original position almost immediately. Also, it seems you can only strike the wheel from right to left.

Whoever came up with this type of puzzle control didn't think it through. Since there is no manual save, I will be thrown into the beginning of the level once again. What a waste!

I don't think the player should be penalized this way.

Any workaround? The previous tip doesn't work for this level.

20. Linebarrel86

Linebarrel86 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Cog in the corporate machine.
    In my skin...
    Simply strike or swipe in the direction that the arrows on the wheels point.

The game is pretty well fleshed out. No sense in blaming the devas if you can't figure out the puzzle.