Dungeon Rally - Deck-Building Puzzle RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by slothwerks, Feb 8, 2014.

1. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

#1 slothwerks, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    Dev Blog
    http://slothwerks.tumblr.com/

Twitter
    https://twitter.com/slothwerks

Try Dungeon Rally in your browser (pre-release version)
    http://gamejolt.com/games/rpg/dungeon-rally/21400/

I've finally gotten my current project, Dungeon Rally, to the point where I'm ready to share it with you guys. I'm calling it a 'deck-building puzzle rpg'. It's a puzzle RPG in the vein of 10000000, Dungeon Rally, and Puzzle Quest, but with a 'deck building' twist.

At the end of each turn in Dungeon Rally, you're given the opportunity to buy new tiles (heroes/weapons/items) to your 'deck'. As you complete chains and tiles are removed from the board, instead of populating them with completely random tiles, they're populated with tiles from your deck. This adds a new layer of strategy: customizing your deck and finding powerful synergies between different types of tiles is a key part of the strategy.

If you've played popular deck-building games like Ascension (also on iOS), Thunderstone, or Dominion, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I've been pretty active posting new info and news over at Game Jolt; in fact, I just uploaded the new 0.4 build today (Feb 8, 2014). The game is playable in your browser today if you want to give it a try.

You can also follow the development in this thread, on Twitter, or my dev blog (links above).

I'd love to answer any questions you have, and if you do try the version over @ Game Jolt, I'd love to get your thoughts. The first episode is pretty much 'done', and future dev work will mostly be on additional episodes. I'd love to tweak/refine the first episode based on any feedback you guys have.

Hope you enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Hoping I'll get a chance to take a look at that tomorrow as I loved Dungeon Raid

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #3 LordGek, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    Ohhh garsh! A deck building/match 3!? I'm all over this. :eek:

Will soon post impressions from the web version...

Okay, played a bit. While I like the concept, I HAVE NO IDEA what is going on.

My stats never seem to increase or decrease, baddies seem to disappear when included in a path but I have no idea how much damage either I or the enemy are causing each other. All the tutorial says is that you need to start your path at a hero and that the other heroes, swords, and coins are being added to my total but those values never seem to change nor do I ever see my health decrease OTHER THAN if monsters get all the way to the top of the screen (which is never explained anywhere).

4. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

#4 slothwerks, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Well, I'm stupid. Apparently, there's a long-standing bug (feature?) with the Unity web-player that exists only with the web-player. Since I do the bulk of my testing with Android and Desktop, I completely missed that the game is unplayable at the moment. No wonder you were so confused!

I'll update the thread when I have a fix -- my apologies for wasting your time with a broken build.

EDIT: New build containing the fix is now available over at Game Jolt:

5. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Great idea, keep working. Added to watchlist!

6. gamgo

gamgo Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    This looks really nice! Well done.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    OHHHH SHOOT! :eek:

This now is amazing and just as you described it. Create a path of exactly X tiles (sorry I can't recall the number, something like 6-8) in such a way so as to take as many baddies out as possible. Your starting hero for that turn's path determines your initial attack and hp and will not allow you to draw a path that would kill the hero (either by trying to draw a path through a monster doing too much damage or a monster that your hero didn't have sufficient attack power to kill in that move). Part of the game's real beauty is the whole deck building aspect which comes into play in between each round of play. At the end of each turn in the game you'll get to spend any coins you've collected in the game's shop to buy all, some, or none of the random 3 items offered. These purchases can range from anything to new hero types, handy items, or even really valuable coins which will be added to the mix of tiles used to refill the board after your next move (they could show up on the board immediately or, just like a true card game, might get way down in the deck and take a few turns before they show up). Also, much like a card game, once purchased they are part of your mix for the rest of this level, so after you include them in a move they go back into the mix to come up again at some random point in the future.

There is only currently 1 very nasty bug I've noticed. If a baddy works his way all the way off the top of the board (each turn all of the monsters, who come onto the board from the bottom, move up one space), the game will lock up next turn (the used tiles from that turn aren't replaced and the buy phase doesn't come up). I assume this would be a very simple fix.

So far a MUST for fans of deck building games, Dungeon Raid, and Puzzle Quest!! :D

8. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Thanks so much for checking out the game everyone!

@LordGek Awesome, that's more like it! I know there's room for improvement, but I knew something was wrong when the legendary LordGek was completely perplexed by it. I feel so stupid -- someone who was familiar with the game said "hey, how come you can't collect gold anymore? It was really weird" and sure enough, I discovered that the game was essentially, unplayable. Good times.

I got a similar report from another tester, and I think it's probably the same root cause as the original bug, although I think a particular item is causing it. The good news is that I've found an easy way to test all my builds using the web version of Unity going forward, so I hopefully I can reduce these kind of issues going forward. The joys of posting in-development builds :p

For people who've played the game: do you feel like the 'card building' aspect is communicated clearly enough? Do you have any ideas on how it can be improved?