Levitar - Vector download numbers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Lesbird, May 9, 2014.

1. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I really like the game. I really dislike the IAP... not just yours, I hate IAP in general. Haha. But it's a great game! Awesome physics, great retro graphics and sound and it plays really nicely :) TBH though, I'd rather pay for it outright than have a free game with IAP. Any chance of a paid version?

2. Lesbird

Lesbird Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    I completely agree with you about IAPs. All of my previous games were paid, generally launching at 2.99 which seems to be the sweet spot, however after the initial 20 or so purchases the sales would stop and the game would rot. So I would then try a couple price drops to keep the game visible and hopefully get another couple sales but eventually the downloads would just stop completely. Usually when that happens I will make the game completely free - you get the full game for free. Back in 2011ish I added IAPs to one of my games, iBots Time Bubbles, which was more of a donation thing where you could pick whatever price you thought the game was worth. I got only a few dollars this way but most people just want a free game. With Vector I wanted to try for the first time to launch a game out of the gate as free with an IAP monetization system.. Even with that, I am not aggressive at all with forcing people to use IAPs and in fact I posted here (see link below) about how to play the game without using any IAPs:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=228347

So if you follow my suggestions in that post you can pretty much play the game for free.

The IAPs are used only to get currency quickly but you can certainly earn plenty by just completing the levels.

- Les