Sony is open to put its IPs on social and mobile platforms!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LOLavi, Mar 1, 2012.

1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Just read this article on Gamezebo: http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2012/02/29/sony-says-its-open-putting-its-ips-social-and-mobile-platforms

Gaming is becoming more and more fragmented thanks to the availability of multiple consoles, phones, and handhelds, to say nothing of all the free stuff that's available on Facebook. It's enough to make a game lover ask, "Why can't we live in peace? Why can't console engineers just put some of their exclusive IPs on mobile platforms?" Surprisingly, Sony has said, "You know what? That's not such a bad idea."

Earlier this week, Sony informed Industry Gamers that the company is open to the idea of bringing its IPs to mobile and Facebook. "That's a really good question, and that I believe is totally possible," said Shuhei Yoshida, the head of Sony Worldwide Studios. "We've been discussing [that possibility] and if you noticed, we released an inFamous-themed Facebook game at the launch of inFamous 2. So we are experimenting, and I don't necessarily believe we're competing against cell phones or social networks – because everybody uses Facebook and lots more people have cell phones and smartphones already. With people's lifestyles, they're always connected and engaged socially, so why not put our IP on there... or give some small experience [related to our IP] like you said?"

Yoshida's inFamous Facebook example illustrates another point that he made to Industry Gamers: Sony could theoretically introduce new audiences to its established franchises by making relevant social and mobile games. Meanwhile, the deeper and more complex entries in the same franchises would be reserved for Sony's consoles and its handhelds, like its new PS Vita.

Industry Gamers' James Brightman wonders if the day is coming when we might see a similarly relaxed attitude from Nintendo, given that the "old guard" is under increasing pressure from investors to expand into mobile. Currently, Nintendo hovers over its IPs like a dragon hovers over its cache of gold, and it shows no signs of loosening up. Sure, Nintendo would earn every last dollar bill on Planet Earth if it released an iPhone-based Pokemon adventure, but at this point, it's not happening.

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Hmm.. weird, no one seems to care about this kind of big news... Sony is possibly bringing its games on mobile platforms and no one cares? :confused:

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    It's already been happening on android with the PS suite thing but I don't think it will ever happen on IOS simply because there is no way Sony would give Apple a 30% cut I really couldn't see Nintendo doing it either.

4. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    I doubt this has any relevence to iOS. If sony are going to make anything for mobile it would be for the android devices that have playstation suite.

I also highly doubt anything really big would show up as that would detract from the Vita. For instance they would never try to port Uncharted golden abyss to smartphone as its an exclusive experience on the vita, and they will want as many people to buy the vita as possible as all the profits go to them, not just the money made from the game.

Its nice to hope, but I see the only way of getting sony properties on iOS is through jailbroken emulators

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree, i'll believe when i see it. If there is a big Sony title ported to iOS then yeah, this is big news but i dont believe this will happen.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    No one said big. it clearly said bigger are for vita!

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    The only thing is that most Sony IPs that anyone would want on the iOS are the "big" ones. Look at the "minis" that they already have for the PSP/PS3/Vita. I think they're all from other developers that aren't under Sony and most of the "good" ones are already publishing on the iOS.

It's Nintendo's IPs that are possibly more suited for the iOS environment (ie., Mario platformers, Pokemon...). That won't happen unless they ever pull completely out of the portable business.

8. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Hahaha. What a troll.