We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Really? So, if no one had bought any EA games for more than a dollar, do you think we'd have almost 100 games from them on the App Store? I doubt it. If their games had bombed and only done moderately well like most devs, they just wouldn't have bothered. They don't need the App Store to survive, they're only using it because it brings in a profit, and it's bringing in a profit because people are paying for their slightly more expensive games. The same goes for other big publishers.

Mario is due soon. After the success of Galaxy and seeing that ominous tail on the end of the concept logo, any gamer would have to be mad not to get some hands-on time with that.

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I dont think you have any idea what you're talking about.

3. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    I had quite a bit of hands on time with the 3DS. Nintendo set up a 3 week long "test cube" where I worked in Chicago and I had the opportunity to play a few of their games, including Street Fighter and some Submarine game before the 3DS was released. From the unimproved, dated graphics to the gimmicky 3D, I came away unimpressed. If I had kids it would be a great product to get but Nintendo seems to have no problem completely abandoning gamers age 20 or over. It started with the Wii and continues with the 3DS. Like the head guy at Sony said, and I paraphrase, what self respecting 20-something wants to be seen playing the 3DS!?

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I agree with 3D being a gimmick, but that doesn't change how good the games are. The 3DS has a ton of really good 3rd party support from the likes of EA and Capcom and even interest from some of the popular indie devs such as Team Meat and 2D Boy. That's some impressive backing already, if they can deliver the games it'll be pure gold. The biggest problem with the Wii was the lack of support and the poor library, the 3DS just needs to overcome that to be worthwhile.

I'm not sure how the graphics are dated either, it's only just come out and already it's show examples of blowing the iPhone away (Stree Fighter IV being the main/best example) but you play games on that.

I'm a self-respecting 20-something but I'm also into gaming journalism and the business behind everything, and Nintendo make some BIG games. To miss out on them would just be a huge hole in my knowledge I don't really want to work around. I don't own a 3DS yet because of the price but I'm determined to get some quality time with the games somehow.

5. falken

falken Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Just throwing my 2 cents in to this train wreck. :)

I'm fairly new to the iOS platform, I got the iPad 2 on launch day and that was my first device. I had fully expected to pay $10-$25 for some of the higher quality games and was going to have no problem doing so.

However, I quickly noticed that any higher priced game goes on sale fairly often. I have so many games at this point I see no point in buying a game when the price point is over $2.99, I just wait for a sale... and you don't have to wait long.

If the premium games had been priced at $10-$25 and rarely went on sale I would gladly have bought the ones I was interested in, I now find myself scofing at a $4.99 game as being "too expensive". It is what I have quickly been conditioned to pay.

6. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    #1206 Eduku, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    Pretty sure that statement got him condemned by gamers and sites alike as pretty much BS. Maybe he was trying to appeal to really insecure people.

7. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Im with you there mate. He doesn't have a clue what he is on about. Premium games losing quality, Not in a lifetime. There only going to get better and better.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Haha, man, mainly just to play Pokemon Black/White. Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed, but I haven't played a Pokemon game since the days of crystal version on the GBC. Plus, I grew up playing mario on the SNES and GBC, and haven't played anything recent from the series, gotta see how much has changed. Plus, none of my friends really play games on their iPods, but generally everyone has a DS. Not sure why. I think you're wrong though about the graphics. The 3DS actually outshines the iOS in every way when it comes to this department. I started out portable gaming with my second gen. PSP, then moved on to the iPod. Going to try out what Nintendo has to offer now, but hopefully, I don't move on from the iOS in a similar fashion. Haha, like that's going to happen though.

9. DavidGQ

DavidGQ Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2009
    These idiots that gave 1 star review because of the price and not universal. I mean, before they bought the game, they didn't know how much it costs? If too expensive, then don't buy. What you want to see in reviews are the game itself.

10. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    They bought it because they love the game, the concept, the music, etc. They hate it because it is published by a huge corporation whose only gain is to get as much profit as possible. As long as you're happy being a part of capitalism, you won't be able to understand those whom you refer to as 'idiots'. Though to be fair, to us, you're the idiot.

11. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    I bet you are one of the people who gave 1 star.

12. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    On the contrary, gave it 5 stars on the iPhone version, but been playing it on my iPad w/ fullforce on.

13. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    And in communism, you wouldn't even have the opportunity to buy an iPad and its attendant silly games. Good luck on your move to North Korea.

14. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Those 1 star people are lame.. There is always someone out there who
    wants it universal.. and saying that it's not fair, cause the paid for the Iphone version already..
    How about google, there was plenty info about the Ipad version.

15. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Seriously wtf ?

Subscription for iPhone MMORPG ? Lmao . This has got to be my joke of the day .

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #1216 Vovin, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

Why? This is normal for an MMORPG. A bunch of iPhone browserMMO's have it, too.
    And it keeps the free-to-play-idiots away.

It's cheap, 3 bucks for whole 6 months subscription. WoW takes three times as much per month. And when GL brings content updates, even better. Severs, staff, content programmer and game masters also cost some money.

Anyway, your comment (with mine) will soon disappear from this thread.

The world seems to be quite big with all these different zones.

Well, who would have guessed that Gameloft is the first on the finishing line when it comes to a 3D iOS MMORPG?

17. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Well yeah , not that I can't afford 3 dollars but I just don't like subscription based games :) Same reason why I don't play WoW . I just don't think it's worth it anyway . However , Eve on the other hand is an exception . Even though I've never paid for it , I'd gladly pay for it . Cause I'm a sci fi freak .

Thing with subscription is that I can get something that's even better without paying for it e.g. guild wars 2 .

18. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    wait a minute. BETA? is this really a beta? then why do you have to pay for it?

19. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Same reason people paid for the PC version of Crysis 2 :rolleyes:

20. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Wait, there's IAP on top of a subscription?

I just died a little inside.

If you can buy your way to being the best then I may not stay long past the included free subscription period.