Lesser-known games that deserve attention?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SkyMuffin, Aug 16, 2010.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #1 SkyMuffin, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    What are some games that you think deserve more attention on the appstore? Post 'em here and I will collect them all in this post. If you don't add a description I'll make one for you. :)

This got so long that I ran out of space. Here's part 2: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1254716&postcount=42

SkyMuffin: I'm a big fan of PONOS. They make a lot skill-based/reflex arcade games, and their apps are always perfectly designed and beautiful. I've had more fun with their games than a lot of other developers/apps.

Brim!, by Invictus, is a puzzle game with three distinct minigames inside of it. The 1st one is all about placing a shape down and letting it expand to fill space. There are obstacles, different shape sizes and antagonistic monsters which try to mess you up. The 2nd is all about using the accelerometer to roll/move your shapes into the goal. The 3rd is a "boss fight" where you navigate gravity and other enemies to fire at the big boss.

Gunblade1190: Razorleaf Studios' Gushers, a pipe-dream style game with upgrades, unlockables, tons of different powerups and pipes, and other bonuses. Planned lifetime updates and all profits go to the Gulf Coast Oil Spill Fund.

TheUnrealEngine: The lesser-known works of Kiefer Bros., creators of the popular word game Abca. Orba is a chain-based color-matching game with beautifully simple graphics and intuitive control. Hyper Puck takes the traditional air hocket game and adds powerups, shootouts, and messy action into the mix.

Machiavelli's Ascent is similar to the popular Mega Jump, but more relaxed. Its most notable feature is that it plays landscape style, allowing for a more free-flowing experience. The graphics and sound are beautifully done and work perfectly.

Eco Punk, by the creators of Rasta Monkey, is an action shooter with precise graphics and controls, as well as powerups and a unique premise-- you pick up trash while avoiding cars and other environmental baddies.

Tomena Sanner is absolutely AMAZING. It takes the Quick Time Event and makes a side-scrolling race out of it, with bonuses based on timing. It features a completely goofy, cartoony style, and multiple levels that are filled with unique characters and outcomes.

THE_BOSS: Watermelon! is similar to a game of horseshoes combined with a gallery shooter. You launch watermelon in arcs to hit enemies in the background and foreground. There are lots of different enemies with unusual qualities, and the game uses a combination of accelerometer and touch screen.

Poppy, an indie dev with charming retro graphics, has several gems featuring simple gameplay. Brave Man is the iDevice version of the "knife point between fingers" bar game, while Monster's Valley is a deceptively simple platformer focused on getting the monsters to the other side.

tblrsa: Shape Escape doesn´t have a story, it puts you right into controlling an obviously bored elephant who decided to place the objects back inside the correct shaped holes just for the heck of it. Or maybe it´s just an obsessively tidy elephant? ..... Who cares about this anyway. Don´t expect any fancy art or sound effects, this game is pretty much straight forward. You vs. the Puzzle, that´s about it. Speaking of puzzles, there are quite a lot of it. Shape Escape does include 300 handcrafted(!) rooms for your heavy friend to solve. Yeah, they are hand made, according to the dev there was no soulless random level generator being used at all.

The developer claims that "Shape Escape" is addictive and we all know that almost every dev is playing this card, only to leave you disappointed later. But trust me, this game IS addictive, yeah it really is. I find myself to keep getting back to the game only to solve "one more level" before getting back to work half an hour later. Despite it´s minimal presentation, this is a fine game. I´m sure that every true puzzle addict will love this one. A true hidden gem and a nice take on the Sokoban Genre.

Touchgamer3g: pure hidden is a game featuring three modes: hidden object, spot-the-difference, and collect-the-object. There are 400 achievements, tons of unlockables, 150+ levels, and beautiful artwork for each level.

The Magic Blackboard is a breakout game with 500+ levels and tons of powerups. It has trippy, colorful graphics, and lots of different variations on the traditional brickbreaking game. There is an ad-supported, full version and a paid, ad-free version.

Marblenauts is a puzzle game where you guide your Marblenauts through various obstacles to their destinations. It features, precise, beautiful pixel art and 10+ hours of gameplay. It's stress-free and allows undoing moves.

Pathpix Is a deceptively-simple, but awesomely fun number puzzle game where you draw paths to connect number pairs. The main stipulation is that paths cannot cross. After each level, you are rewarded with a picture. A similar game is Lab Mice, which comes with 10 free levels and DLC for 100 more. Another similar app is Piczle Lines.

Dinogems is similar to PopCap's AstroPop (demo, Internet Explorer only), or the 1989 puzzle game Klax. You pick up/collect blocks, then fire them to make match-3s of the same color. There are multiple control modes, game modes, multiplay with bluetooth, and global leaderboards.

PEP the dragon is a run-and-jump platforming game with spells, line-drawing, fireballs, magic, and lots of worlds to explore. It is beautifully-polished and has its own original soundtrack as well.

Watson: The Beginning is an adventure game similar to Phoenix Wright, with mystery-solving, puzzles and clues, and clean graphics and polish. Features an excellent storyline and translation.

Dandarya: KIL.A.TON is a tanks/artillery game featuring tons of different weapons, realistic physics, campaigns and 4-difficulty AI, and a multiplayer game lobby. Up to 6 players can be in a game at the same time.

chrisf82: Run! Is similar to Tomena Sanner in presenting the player obstacles to react to and avoid while their character runs the gauntlet. However, it has additional unlockables, multiple game modes, and a multiplayer "challenge" mode where you can set up your own gauntlet for your opponent.

starmonkey101: Battle Blasters is a 1v1 laser-shooting deathmatch game, featuring 6 different characters, each with unique abilities and play styles. There's a campaign, bluetooth multiplayer, and face-to-face in person multiplayer on one device.

Ultimate Alphabet is an intensely difficult hidden-object game with four modes. Instead of knowing what objects you're looking for, you only know the first letter of its name, testing your vocabulary and intelligence. The first game is free and there are three others you can buy in-app.

tblrsa: THe Novice is a puzzle game similar to the PC freeware game Tower of the Sorcerer. Unfortunately, it has been abandoned for the past year and it has some nasty bugs. Worth a try though, since it's free.

Jack111: Star*Burst is a match-3 game similar to Dinogems/AstroPop/Klax as mentioned above.

Wumbo is a Chip's Challenge style game, with keys, doors, obstacles, and other neat things. It also has a funny name, 50 levels, and a built-in editor.

Slyder Adventures is an accelerometer/touch-controlled, tilting puzzle platformer.

2. slimothy

slimothy Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Definitly Tap Master. Especially if you like quick games and/or reflex games!

3. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Which one? It looks like there are three on the appstore.

4. Gunblade1190

Gunblade1190 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    NJ
    Gushers by Razorleaf Studios. Great game that it seems almost no one picked up.

5. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I just checked it out and the pictures look fantastic! picking this up.

6. TheUnrealEngine

TheUnrealEngine Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Student/Lifeguard
    Vancouver, BC
    They aren't totally lesser-known, but Kieffer Bros. is one of the best developers out there, I wish their other games like Orba and Hyper Puck got more love.

Otherwise Machiavelli's Ascent is a very pretty Mega Jump-esque type of game, Eco Punk has a lot of charm, but it's gameplay is great as well, and Tomena Sanner needs some more love as well.

Also, obligatory inb4 TMT says Hoppy.

7. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    #7 SkyMuffin, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    I've played Machiavelli's Ascent, and it is a really fun game. I especially like how it plays landscape mode- it's much more comfortable and you can really feel the gameplay with the animations that way.

Eco Punk is pretty neat. My biggest issue with it, however, is its large file size (95mb!). Otherwise the animations and gameplay are excellent.

T-Sanner is absolutely AMAZING. It takes the Quick Time Event and makes a side-scrolling runner out of it, with bonuses based on timing. It sounds like a bad idea but it plays brilliantly with the goofy/funny style. :)

8. THE_BOSS

THE_BOSS Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    england
    Watermelon! Is great, but monsters valley and brave man by poppy are also great but not very well known titles. You guys really should try them.

9. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #9 tblrsa, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    Great thread, here goes my list of games which flew under the radar of attention:

Shape Escape

"Shape Escape" doesn´t have a story, it puts you right into controlling an obviously bored elephant who decided to place the objects back inside the correct shaped holes just for the heck of it. Or maybe it´s just an obsessively tidy elephant? ..... Who cares about this anyway. Don´t expect any fancy art or sound effects, this game is pretty much straight forward. You vs. the Puzzle, that´s about it. Speaking of puzzles, there are quite a lot of it. Shape Escape does include 300 handcrafted(!) rooms for your heavy friend to solve. Yeah, they are hand made, according to the dev there was no soulless random level generator being used at all.

The developer claims that "Shape Escape" is addictive and we all know that almost every dev is playing this card only to leave you disappointed after the purchase in most cases. Trust me though, this game IS addictive, yeah it really is. I find myself to keep getting back to the game only to solve "one more level" before getting back to work half an hour later. Despite it´s minimal presentation this is a fine game. I´m sure that every true puzzle addict will love this one. A true hidden gem and a nice take on the Sokoban Genre.

Gameplay Video

---------

I might add more later, but i wanna stick to the true hidden gems out there.

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Nice, I enjoy these types of threads. No matter how many games you know about, there are always more you don't know about.

11. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Pure Hidden: hidden object game that is very artsy (with 400+ achievements)

The Magic Blackboard: very trippy breakout game with 12+ hours of gameplay

Marblenauts: awesome puzzle game where you guide your Marblenauts through a series of obstacles to there designated colors

Pathpix: INCREDIBILE number puzzle game where you connect pairs of numbers to for a picture.

DynoGems: match-3 game from the bottom up with a great control scheme and graphics

PEP the Dragon: cute platformer with "magic spells" to use such as drawing a bridge for the dragon to cross over

Watson: The Beginning: Text based adventure game like Phoenix Wright with an amazing storyline and great graphics

12. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I'm telling you, all the sales for PEP in the past few weeks are all your doing! Good on you girl.

13. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    +1 for The Magic Blackboard. If David Lynch created a version of Breakout for the iPhone I figure it would be like this. :)

14. Touchgamer3g

Oct 18, 2009
    It's such an underrated platformer. I hope I have helped get it out to the public more!

Agreed. Everyone should download the game being as it is free :)

15. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    ....So, if anybody still wants to know about my lesser-known game, just let me know and I'll post. XD

16. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    HOPPY!

@Touchgamer, I'm going to buy PEP just because of you!

17. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    It's not free and it's never been free?

18. Touchgamer3g

Oct 18, 2009
    Nice!! :)

Actually, The Magic Blackboard Free is the free full version of the game. Take a look at the App Store description.

19. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    So you get exactly the same things in the Free version as in the paid version?

20. Dandarya

Dandarya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Student
    Playground in Skidrow
    Kill.A.Ton by far. It pwns iShoot 1 AND 2