Anyone tried Chromecast with their iDevice?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Dec 15, 2013.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I know there's people with fancy HDMI set ups but I was curious how well Chromecast works with iOS (and or Android) devices. Is the picture good? Fun to play your games on a big screen TV on the cheap? (Think they're $35 and work with any WiFi enabled device)

2. OrionnoirO

OrionnoirO Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Anderson,IN
    AFAIK, Chromecast only works on supported apps on iOS.. YouTube, Chrome Browser, and maybe Vevo... I am unaware of any others. I wondered the same and that's what I got out of the Chromecast webpage.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    That's interesting. I guess I need to read more. I figured it was just transmitting whatever was on your screen regardless of what it was.

4. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Get the Apple TV. It hooks up seamlessly with any A5 generation device or newer.

5. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    It's great for streaming movies, etc.
    not designed for games at all. Even with a controler, which will stop you from having to look at the screen. The lag between things happening on the device and mirroring makes most games unplayable.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I had a misunderstanding from the commercials that seem to make to sound like anything on a device over wifi would be displayed. After some research, yeah, not so much. Oh well, guess for $35, what can you expect. Still, not something I would find useful.

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #7 iPadisGreat, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Does your Chromecast solve the issue of lag?

I guess if you did get a Chromecast or Apple TV, you would probably end up using it to watch Youtube on the telly.

8. Even hdmi is like that now. Ipad 4 hdmi sucks big time compared to ipad 3 hdmi. So sad.

9. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Yeah. Hopefully the rumoured "New" Apple TV solves the issues. If it does I'll pick up another Apple TV. The decrease in functionality with the lightning port and HDMI is a shame. Apple better solve the problem they've created. Being what they are, I expect it'll take some time.

In response to the other comment. I wasn't commenting on chromecast. Just responding to the suggestion of getting an Apple TV and pointing out it's flaws. I knew about them when I got mine. Would've been very disappointed if I'd expected it to work flawlessly. I assume Chromecast would have the same issues. Never bothered with it though. I'm not a fan of peripherals with limited compatibility.