So sick of Zombie games! Change the tune!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bmanashe3, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Bmanashe3

Bmanashe3 Active Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Damn!!!! I'm so sick of all these zombie games coming out!! Every other game is 'Zombie this' and 'Zombie that'.....Developers need to open up their imaginations a bit more! Its the same with most films out recently....Vampire this and Vampire that! I'm getting so bored of the same genre's time and time again!!! Lets face it...of all mythical creatures...Zombies and Vampires have to be the most boring of them all!!

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I'll agree and disagree with that one.

I'll agree that I'm sick of crappy zombie games. Seeing those "cute" or "cartoony" zombies gets extremely annoying after a while, and seeing even more crappy games, or just typical games with zombies tacked on and absolutely nothing changed is just... ridiculous.

But, when a developer comes out with something original (ex. N.Y.Zombies, Dead Rising), or takes a popular mechanic and either adds to it or uses it well (ex. Zombie Infection), then it's a whole different story. Basically, it's just a matter of being able to discern between good and bad zombie games, which can be tough at times (I've fallen into that trap before... Simply put, don't buy Chainsaw Zombie Massacre).

And as for the vampire thing, same argument. There's good stuff out there involving vampires, like Vampire Origins (I didn't think it was that bad), Van Helsing (according to my friend... still gotta see that), etc. Then again, there's complete crap out there that involves vampires, with the most well-known being that disgrace of a movie Twilight. But other than that, I haven't seen any vampire movies lately.

3. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    I actually love zombie games.

4. Bmanashe3

Bmanashe3 Active Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Yeah I have to admit, I quite liked Zombie infection (but I like most gameloft games tbh!) and Dead rising will be an instabuy for me....but still, It just seems thats every game now turns to zombies, adds zombies in an update or just has a zombie theme in one way or another! All i see is a once popular genre (which turned into a gaming trend) being milked hard!!

I for one would like to see a change of genre.....like I said, these developers are just milking it now!

5. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I'll agree with that. They really take it overboard at times... A good zombie game here and there is great, but when it's every other game either doing nothing different, just adding a zombie theme, or arbitrarily throwing zombies in, it just gets stupid.

A change of overused cliches would be nice... I'd rather see something else take the fall for once, especially if it's something I've never liked to begin with.

And as for your other question in the OP, I think those two are used most since they're two of the most human like creatures. Zombies are used quite a bit since they're easy to incorporate a story into (a simple disease or infection usually works), they multiply quickly (take a look at Infectonator, an awesome flash game), and they're ridiculously easy and fun to kill (also take a look at More Zombies, another favorite of mine). Plus, if used right, can be pretty creepy with their slow movements, cannibalistic goals (Capcom pulled those zombies off perfectly), and can be modified to be even creepier or more dangerous, and add quite a bit of variety (check out Left 4 Dead for that). Also, both have become popular in both good and bad ways through a game or movie, and the ideas just took off (Nazi Zombies starting the whole zombie craze, and I'm guessing Twilight with the stupid vampire one).

6. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Meh, I'm not a fan of zombie games, but if the game is a quality one with a good concept, zombies don't ruin it for me. Though the only thing that had something to do with zombies and I really enjoyed was this week's episode of Community. : D

7. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Just don't buy them. Ignore the zombies.

8. Bmanashe3

Bmanashe3 Active Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Thats my point! My choice of games are greatly reduced if I avoid games with zombies in them! :p

I agree that if it's a decent game, then fine! But most developers are just jumping on the band wagon because it seems like the popular thing this year...it's just getting a bit boring!

9. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    If you can't beat em' join em'.

10. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I'm completely over zombies and have been for a couple of years now. Whether it's in games, books or movies, I'm tired of them.

Having said that, I understand why there's so many-they sell. Unfortunately for every great zombie game, there's one hundred crappy ones (same for books and movies).

I say bring on the werewolves!

11. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    It's Halloween. What did you expect....

12. Bmanashe3

Bmanashe3 Active Member

Oct 27, 2010
    So when u think of halloween, the only thing that comes to mind is zombies? Its been like this all year anyway...

13. steezybreezy

steezybreezy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Boooo hoooooo is the wittle baby scared of the big bad zombies booooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooo

14. Bmanashe3

Bmanashe3 Active Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Wow....real constructive!! People like you bore me AS much as the zombie games!

15. Zombie games are like lolcats on teh interwebz, they'll never go away...

16. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    In the 1980s, they were aliens.
    In the 1990s, we had ninjas.
    In the 2000s, it was pirates.
    It's 2010 and we have zombies.
    Can we have our space aliens back soon?

17. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Of the classic horror movie monsters, zombies are far and away my favorite. I really hate vampires - too self-aware and oh soooo sexy blah blah. Werewolves and such are OK I guess, but they tend to get a little too caught up in psychological mumbo jumbo too. Zombies are simple creatures with simple needs. They don't care how they look or concern themselves with questions of good and evil, they just wanna eat a nice brain now and then. :)

Having said that, yeah - I would prefer game devs leave them alone for a bit unless what they are doing is really "zombie-centric." I'm still waiting for a really good zombie apocalypse rpg...

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Age of Zombies will probably be my last iOS zombie game. I also feel this trend needs to change.

19. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Hey, I'll take Zombies any day over the never ending load of physics 101 balancing acts.

20. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I remember checking to see how many Zombie games there were before starting on Zombieville USA to see if anything similar had been made, and back then you could type "Zombie" into a search and get about 4 results. What a difference a couple years makes... now its been done to death. Har har.