Misunderstanding of TA policies

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by STP_Tim, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    #1 STP_Tim, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    I recently wrote a review of Jet Car Stunts that somebody commented on in the thread and a forum member publicly asked if I would provide a link. I replied with the following:

Arn then edits this out and says that I am breaking their rule, even though I did not post a link. In fact, I feel I am enforcing it here.

He also gave me an infraction for "Spammed Promotion". Prior to this event, Arn has personally told me that putting a link to my site in my signature is perfectly appropriate, so has something changed or is this infraction just for the sake of it?

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
  3. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Really quite weird... I've gotten an infraction for "Spammed Advertisements" because I was saying a review of the game would be up on my site (this was when I wasn't with NoDPad yet). However, I haven't received an infraction after that yet though I have posted links to NoDPad when people asked for info on a specific game or subject that we did a write-up on. Maybe it's because I put "if this link isn't supposed to be here, please feel free to remove it" in my post? :confused: Still pretty weird though.

4. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Yeah, that is weird...

5. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
  6. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    You can have them in your sig but not allowed to say anything about them being there

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Sure, you can put links in your sig, but posting "Hey, click on my sig to read my review" is the same as posting a link.

The whole point of the rule is not whether or not you physically post a link or not. It's to reduce or eliminate spam.

"Hey, check out my site, click on my sig!!!!" is clearly against the spirit of the rules. We welcome all participation, but if the purpose of your post is to drive traffic to your site... well, that's called "spam".

arn

8. STP_Tim

Apr 7, 2009
    Arn just told me that.

However, I was only trying to help another forum member. I can understand TA's issue with me pointing to my signature if it was purely promotional, but this was an act of selflessness.

9. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    You can't refer to links in your signature. That's just completely trying to go around the rule. You can have links in signatures but you can't say in a post "go click the link in my sig". That's the exact same thing as just posting the link in a post.

Your options were to say to that person "Sorry can't post links" or just wait for someone else to post to it.

What you did was still self-promotion.

10. STP_Tim

Apr 7, 2009
    That was not my intent, nor could my post possibly be taken that way.

11. STP_Tim

Apr 7, 2009
    It seems both of the mods missed my point by miles. I think the rule needs to be edited to allow people like myself who come from other sites to help others if they request our assistance. That is morally right, no?

12. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Infractions really don't do anything.
    Don't worry about it, once they expire, its gone forever.

13. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    I suppose if it's the first time you had done so I might have agreed with you. We're not "out to get" STP. In fact, we've been very lenient with the site in general with regard to self promotion, and it's not an exaggeration that another site would have been more strongly warned over time.

In this situation if you had said nothing, another user would have certainly posted a link.

arn

14. STP_Tim

Apr 7, 2009
    Assumption.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I suppose you could've said something along the lines of "Another user might be kind enough to link you to the article", but it seems like an unneccesarily long way of doing it, since either way the link is going to be pointed out.

16. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Come on Tim, this isn't STP, its TA

17. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Simplicity is key. The mods don't want to spend time debating fringe cases.

Simple rule:

You own a site, work at a site, are otherwise significantly associated with a site? Don't promote it here.

arn

18. STP_Tim

Apr 7, 2009
    Thank you. Somebody is finally getting the point.

Why does it matter if I post it or the next person does? Its still a link to STP.

19. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    That's because we don't care about the actual link itself. Once you realize that, you'll realize why the rule exists.

arn

20. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Would it be acceptable if Tim pm'd the link to the member?