Beta-Testing Question

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Alex Graal, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Alex Graal

Alex Graal Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    N/A
    U.S.A.
    How does Beta-testing work? As in how do people get the app?

Here is my guess;

I'm guessing that the app is put in a special section on the App store that is not visible to anybody except the actual Apple Staff. The only way to get that App is to have the code, which you put in in the giftcard redeem section?

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    The developer sends you the app by email or a hosts it on their server. They also give you a mobile provisioning file, which authorizes iTunes to install the app on your device. The mobile provisioning file contains the UDID of everyone who is beta testing the app. The method you said only works if the app has already been approved by Apple and the developer is waiting to release it.

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    They send you a file via email. You download it, unzip the files, and click and drag to your iTunes app library. Sync and play.

4. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Assuming you are a beta tester: first, the dev will need to get your device ID and include it into what we call a profile. Then you will have to download the game & the profile onto your device. There is no need to do it via itunes anymore, you can directly download it from your device (you need ios 4.2).

JC

5. Real Racing Fan

Real Racing Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    If you are going to put it on a SFTP server, you have to use one of the two programs:

Cyberduck (Mac)

WinSCP (Windows)

I've done this a year ago for beta testing Quitit! My mind is kinda rusty on this lol

6. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I'd heard a bit about this and checked the Dev forums but can't find any info on how to do this, do you have any links?

7. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
  8. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Beta testing for normal app and games is super simple.

Get the UDID from your beta testers idevices. Add them to your ad hoc profile. Build. Put it online at megaupload or something like that. Beta testers download it, copy it to itunes and sync and voilá.

However what is the process like for something with IAP? To make it simple think of 1 IAP that unlocks the entire game. What do you send your beta testers in that case?

I know there's some sort of promo codes for IAP that you can send reviewers, but I don't know how beta testing works in that case (and would like to know!).

9. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Check my previous post, no need to do that anymore, beta tester/clients can get their build directly install from their idevice by clinking a simple link.

It doesn't look like there is a simple solution for that. The only way I see is to allow all IAP for your beta build (so the testers can test them).
    I saw some guys doing some very clever stuff with online activation but I'm to illiterates with internet/server stuff :)

Are you sure? How does this work? It isn't like downloading a full game as the IAP is activated from inside the game. Anyway, if you have some info tell us please.

JC

10. crazygambit

Nov 15, 2010
    No, I'm not sure at all, but I think I read something like that...somewhere. I'll try to find the link.

11. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    That is great we can finally download straight to the device. Like the article said, I can never be bothered to sync my iPod, as I also download apps straight to device and usually takes a couple of hours just to transfer!

12. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
  13. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    An unrelated question about AdHoc builds and one that's been asked before in this forum but not answered.

Has anyone heard of an AdHoc build being hacked into something that Jailbreakers can use? Are AdHocs as vulnerable as released apps?

14. crazygambit

Nov 15, 2010
    I heard about something like that. Don't know if it's an urban legend though. However I have a big fat black rectangle with FPS and Memory Usage counters on my ad hoc versions. I imagine taking them out might be a little more work than a hacker is willing to do for a shot at a beta of my game.

15. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Yes they are.

16. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany