Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 HD - By Fishlabs

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Taytay

Taytay Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    It seems this is only for the ipad2 & iphone4s cause it does say universal HD & thats not for 3gs or ipod touch 4 or iphone 4

2. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Can't wait to play it on the iPad 2. But I'm definitely waiting for a price drop...paid $10 when the non-HD version came out, not gonna pay another $10 for better graphics, plus it sucks I have to start all over again :(

3. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    If you bought Valkyrie SD maybe you might think again as I did, since they announced the Valkyrie HD to be free for those who bought and installed Valkyrie SD on their iPad 2s. But, everyone does their way.:)

So what do you like the most so far? I like the EMP effect.:D I find it very cool!

4. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    would love some screenshots or videos of the ipad 2 version. Really curious how well it performs, i recall people complaining about a lot of bugs and what not for mac version.

5. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    #25 the9quad, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    So glad I was able to grab this before they got a chance to pull it. I don't think I could stand waiting2 more days knowing I missed it. It does have a lot and I mean a lot of crawling jaggies, makes it look considerably worse than screenshots in motion. Only played a few minutes, but really it is kind of jarring when coming from pc games with anti-aliasing, I was under the impression the ipad2 would be powerful enough to do anti-aliasing, but I guess not.

6. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Yep, loads of iPad 2 (and 4th Gen iPhone and iPods for that matter) do indeed boast anti-aliasing. The best of which, in my humble opinion is Real Racing 2. Then again, almost a full year later, Infinity Blade still amazes me every time I go back to it.

What with this, Scribblenaught, and Super Crossfire already bought, and Espgaluda II later tonight (82mins and counting..) it's a rather expensive Big Wednesday, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

7. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    Has anyone actually played this version yet? Would love to know how much better it actually is.

8. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Got it today using ipad2. I concur it looks nice,but like others said, it appears to have anti-aliasing disabled as distant polygons tend to have jaggies and flicker a bit.

Other than that, it looks amazing.....

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Guys i am already working on an HD Gameplay Trailer just give me a little more Time...

10. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

11. Simon Potticary

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Yeah, something's up here. I've spent a little time playing the HD version on my iPad 2 alongside the standard version on my brother-in-laws iPad 1. If anything, the standard version looks better!

Not happy with this. Surely, it wasn't mean't to be released like this?

12. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    Hmmmmm, undecided. Some mixed comments on the graphics, which after all would be the reason for getting this as everything else is the same.

Dev - are there any plans to fix the AA issues mentioned?

13. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    They are definitely more detailed textures, but because of the lack of antialiasing(?) there's a lot of graphical crawl. After playing the intro side by side on both on my ipad2, I'm finding it really hard to say this is worth another 10 bucks if you've already ponied up for the regular version. Unless they throw in aa, I certainly won't be ponying up for the expansion.

Heck, I'd be tempted to go so far as to say I might prefer the regular version. Rather disappointing.

14. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #34 violentv, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  15. fishlabs_games

fishlabs_games Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Hi Rangerlump, thanks for the instant purchase, really appreciated! We would have implemented anti aliasing if it wasn't too expensive. Just keep in mind that this version uses the indentical (!) assets from the Full HD version for the Mac. We think it is amazing that the A5-powered devices can handle that. We are still optimizing the game though and if we get some more fps with anti aliasing on we will definitely implement it. Can't promise anything though.

Cheers,
    Michael

16. kappa

kappa Well-Known Member

inside cockpit view please... please... just a little, simple, standard cockpit view.

17. Simon Potticary

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    #37 Simon Potticary, Oct 13, 2011
    DITTO! I'm 100% with you Redribbon.

I've always been a fan of Fishlabs and have always purchased every one of their iOS games within minutes of landing on the App Store. That includes the GoF2 Valkyrie DLC that was added to the original game way back on 28 April.

As per, I instantly grabbed this new HD (Full!?) edition the instant I saw it on the UK App Store - a decision I wholeheartedly regret. I'll certainly be pursuing a refund from Apple. I promise you that the standard edition looks better!

As for Fishlabs' post above, the very fact that Michael stated the lack of anti-aliasing was down to expense has done nothing but rub salt into the wounds. What an absurdly inappropriate thing to say to say considering I have handed over £18.35 (about $30.00 US) on their iOS Galaxy on Fire franchise alone (incl. Galaxy on Fire 3D).

if anyone else is considering purchasing this new HD edition, I'd recommend preceding with extreme caution.

18. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#38 Sanuku, Oct 13, 2011
    Don`t get me wrong but that`s not true and that`s coming from somone that did literally hate Fishlabs because they didn`t just brought an Update for the Original Version.

But let`s start from the Beginning...

The Orginal Version does look like this:

And the HD Version does look like this:

As soon as i will be Home i will create a new HD Gameplay Trailer for the Normal iPad Version too and then you will see that it isn´t the Same.

Still, paying another $10 wasn`t as Easy as i had thought about it but at the End i did it since i thought that Fishlabs might need it to finally get over their Galaxy on Fire Shadow and buy the Schleichfahrt/Aquanox Licence and bring us the Submarine Game we all have waited since Ages on our iDevices.

19. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I think he meant expensive in terms of resources, ie costs too much in framerate....

20. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    yes, that was how I interpreted it as well. The lack of anti aliasing is a big disappointment, but no one should ignore the fact that all ships and stations have been remodelled and re-textured from scratch in high resolution. Not to mention the new lighting,explosions,firing effects etc.

Perhaps FISHLABS will be more ..eh ..enthusiastic in fixing the problem in the next few days after they realise their choice of leaving out AA is rather unpopular with their customers/fans.