We had some fun and blew up a new iPad3.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Eclectic, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Eclectic

Eclectic Well-Known Member

A great staff fun day out as you can see. I am the one in the brown coat.

2. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
  3. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    #3 Jordanrracer, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
    Could of gave it away for a contest at least.

4. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Not only was it dumb to waste an iPad 3 like that, the video wasn't even fun to watch. What a waste.

5. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    One Word.............. FAKE. The old bait n switch, gets them all the time.

6. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Fake or real, it was generally just rubbish to watch. Not a patch on those guys who smash consoles on launch day infront of queues waiting to buy. Oh well, if nothing else, you've inspired me to seek out some of those vids.

7. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Dunno why people always freak out when someone destroys an expensive device. It's their money- not yours. Also, it isn't hard to obtain an iPad 3. Last few Apple stores I've been to had loads of the things.

I think blowing up a device is better than slowly ruining it- you know, the people that eat messy food while using whatever it is, going to the beach with it- embedding it with sand and scratching it up, constantly dropping it, letting lay around wherever leading to people accidentally stepping on it... You get the point. I've known a few people that do that, and it bugs me, especially when they wonder why it stopped working.

8. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I agree.

9. Eclectic

A huge problem in the app marketplace is gaining visibility. Many hundreds of new apps are released every day, all vying for the attention of journalists and the public. It is immensely difficult to get your app noticed at all. If you go to the forums where the indie developers hang out you can see that this is their biggest problem. As Oscar Wilde said, there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about.

There are two ways out of this that are commonly used, one is to throw money at the problem, to buy visibility. We don’t really want to do this at Kwalee if we can help it. The other is to cross promote between a catalog of existing apps on the app store. But Kwalee only has one app out there, Gobang Social.

Gobang Social is a great fun game to play with your Facebook friends. We developed it as a technology demonstrator, to prove that we could do many different things that are involved in developing and publishing an app. Also as the testbed to create our turn based server technology. This simple, fun game was ideal for the task and enabled us to climb all sorts of learning curves.

However we do need to have players using the game in order to test and develop what we are doing. So we need to do some marketing to attract these people. And as we already know, this is difficult in an extremely crowded marketplace.

Our solution was to create a really wacky video and to incorporate a competition. In marketing terms this was very inexpensive indeed. And it has worked, it has done exactly the job it was intended to do. Not only that, the staff had a great fun day out. And we continued to build our brand image as a company that doesn’t take itself too seriously and which has a laugh.

10. Eclectic

It wasn't fake. Why would we fake it?
    You can see the screen operating right up to the explosion.
    And after it has been blown up you can clearly see that it is the iPad we started with.
    The cost of the iPad was not significant at all in marketing terms.

We have kept the remains and are framing them to put on the office wall. Anyone lucky enough to visit us will be able to clearly see the bigger camera that marks this out as being an iPad 3.

11. kwaleeareajoke

kwaleeareajoke New Member

Apr 15, 2012
    :D

Bruce, you deluded old fool.

Visit us includes......

Bruce Everiss with his psychotic evangelism & me vs the world attitude

David 'rat boy' Darling and his extreme social awkwardness and charisma lacking presence

A blue haired snorlax

A framed broken Ipad 3

A waste of money & time

And shit youtube videos being created

12. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    #12 earthclaw, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    +1 @ Breakbeat

@ Eclectic
    They sell dummy ipad 3 on ebay for 20 bucks you can blow up instead of wasteing money :p

13. Eclectic

In the video go to the point where Alexi takes the pickaxe to the iPad. At one stage you can see all the internals. And most prominent are the three black plastic bags that are the lithium ion batteries. In fact they take up most of the internal space. As you can see on this website http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ipad-3-benchmark-retina-display,review-32421-4.html

Here is what they look like:
    [​IMG]

Blowing up a real iPad3 was the whole point of the exercise!

14. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I thought the video was a good marketing strategy for a game that might otherwise be overlooked.

As far as the comments from people who drone on and on about how the iPad wasn't real, how it was a waste of an iPad, blah blah blah.....all I can say is "Welcome to TouchArcade, eclectic!"
    :rolleyes:

15. Eclectic

So we have made a short edit of the video now and we have included the bit where you can clearly see the innards of the iPad3. You can compare this with the shots of iPad3 internals that are on Google Images.

16. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
  17. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
  18. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Don't listen to him/her. Clearly they have no clue as to what they are talking about.

19. Eclectic

Thanks for this.
    It is pretty obvious that we have better things to do with our lives than put effort into faking something that isn't worth faking.

Anyhow.
    Later this year we have 2 new Apple products, iPhone 5 and iPad mini (7 inch tablet).
    At Kwalee we could blow these up as well! Then we could build a YouTube reputation for wacky videos destroying Apple's latest toys. Alexei seems to be a natural actor and can be our Borat.

With these explosions we have two options, either we can make a big bang, like we did this time. Or we can be more technical and use a plastic explosive, like C-4, with a shaped charge to utterly destroy the device. This second option is a lot less spectacular to watch but will give a far more destructive result. We could smash an iDevice into thousands of pieces.

So it is a case of spectacular looking explosion Vs spectacularly destroyed device.

In fact in the second video we circle the iPad and you can see how the explosion mainly launched it very high into the air. It looked good but didn't do massive damage. Hence the need for a pickaxe!

20. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010

I mean if you have the funds available I would love an iPad 3 sent to me ;)