Games Like Dungeon Hunter 4 That Won't Put Me in Debt?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Piph, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Armour never drops as loot in Orc.
    You get new armour periodically as the game progresses. Everything else you can upgrade. And yeah, it is a lot of running to regen health or using potions.
    Solomon's not as much, I found. It's more about not getting trapped by mobs, strafing to dodge, etc. more action oriented.
    Bard's Tale is awesome, btw. Not a dungeon crawl so much. Amazing game though.
    Bastion doesn't have loot drops, the narrative and combat more than make up for that though. You can upgrade different weapons in different ways and play through with completely different styles though.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #22 Vovin, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    I heard that Heroes Call (especially after the devs removed the wait timers and all currencies except one, making it real freemium) and SoulCraft (dunno much about that) are good games and only have optional IAP?

3. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Maybe I just suck too much, but I have a hell of a time trying to dodge the poison and stun spells (the little blue and green balls they shoot). I always feel just a but more crammed than I'd like in some of the rooms and there's so many of the spells flying at me that's hard to dodge while also dealing with the other enemies. It really doesn't help that the spells follow you. :( I'm usually only able to shake maybe one or two of them, but when you have 5 coming at you, like when you first enter a room, it's just tough. Mind you, I'm in the early 20s, if that makes any difference. Or, again, maybe I just suck.

I'm mostly looking for something I can play and enjoy while listening to podcasts, which is the only reason I'm not getting those two games at the moment. I will definitely be getting Bastion, though. At some point. :p

4. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Downloading Heroes Call right now. :)

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #25 Vovin, Apr 14, 2013
    Yeah, today you can play through Heroes Call and beat it without spending money.
    I like the setting, it's more dark and sinister and the characters are all some kind of feared guys. :)

Oh, and Blade Of Darkness is another Diablo-like.

Two more really good games which don't bother you with IAP:

Pocket RPG and Rimelands - Hammer of Thor (but the last is turn-based).
    Then there's: The Gods:Rebellion.

And I agree: Aurum Blade, Crimson Heart, Master of Dungeon and Dragon Knight 4 are freemium-done-right Diablo-like KRPGs you should enjoy. There's also a new one: Valkyrie Gauntlet 2. Read the app description. It's also real free to play. But I did not check that out yet.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Would like to add the following to your lists:

Wraithborne - kinda like diablo, but with less stat crunching and more microing your blocks and rolls. No loots, but more brawlery.

The Gods - same as Wraithborne, but has its own beat going that makes it better or worse. No loots, but more brawlery.

And as some have mentioned, Heroes Call is freemium done right (after the timers were removed and tons of improvement has been implemented), and Orc Vengeance is a decent diablo-like dungeon crawler, but with less loot, but more on upgrading your items.

THere's also Ku, but i cant say much about it since i havent fired it up since i got it during the $1 sale, but there's been a lot of good buzz in its thread.

7. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I grabbed Orc: Vengeance and am enjoying it - only in a little bit. I do wish there were more customizable things - and a mage class :p - but it's still a good dungeon crawler.

Is the Blood Knight the only character you can play in Heroes Call without paying money?

About to try out the lite/free version of Blade of Darkness, it looks promising.

(Not the OP - but had the same question. :) )

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #28 Vovin, Apr 14, 2013

Your Heroes Call question: yes. You get the game and the first character for free and can buy additional characters, which play entirely different and also the storyline changes the order of events/quests, according to the character you're playing.
    Don't worry, you won't need to buy in-game currency.
    But if you're really enjoying it, dish out 1-3 bucks for the additional characters and as a bit of appreciation for the devs work.

But the most unique aspect in Heroes Call is the cast of protagonists. You'll not play your daily good vs. evil story.
    There are lots of shades of gray. The game has unique heroes. Everyone with his own motivation and background. And every single character has some bad reputation to live with. Yet they're all heroes.
    I liked that.

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hmm this sounds interesting. Is there loot on the same level as the DH games? How bad is the freemium aspect, is there a dual currency system?

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

There's plenty and plenty of loot dropping.

The freemium aspect is really good now. The game was an IAP-ridden mess before.
    But the devs listened to their community and changed a lot. They re-balanced the game AND erased the second currency (gems are gone, now there's only gold) AND erased the quest timers AND added additional characters, the Shadow Assassin and the Combat Alchemist.
    There's plenty of gold if you care to look around, so you don't need to buy some unless you want a very easy going. Gold IAP aren't neccessary.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Wow so basically you only have to pay for new character slots, and those characters are radically different + have different story? You've got to be joking. Did they make money off of this scheme?

Thanks for the letting me know about this, downloading now.

12. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I played some more Heroes Call and it's really nifty. I really like the gameplay, and it's surprisingly in-depth for an iOS game. It's also quite pretty. The default character is a Blood Knight; I play a mage in pretty much every game ever, so I bought the Plague Wizard and am using him. And yes, there are completely different starting points/plots. Lots of loot, good navigation. So much loot that I ran out of inventory space in my first quest. :p (You can buy more space with in-game gold.)

It kind of reminds me of Dragon Age, not in a "clone of way", more "inspired by". Definitely glad I found it. Thanks, Vovin. :)

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Is there any way to have virtual sticks/buttons in heroes call? Can't seem to find different controls in the settings.

14. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    No, it doesn't seem so. You can, however, hold your finger in front of the avatar and he'll follow your finger as long as you hold it there.

The geatures for the spells can be hit or miss for me, so depending on how well you pull them off, maybe using the skills from the HUD would be better.

15. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    But what's the deal with the camera? In settings, there's a slider to control the zoom. For whatever reason, it'll only allow me to place on either end of the slider and nowhere in between.

Anyone else have that problem?

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

The Plague Wizard, yeah, a really cool guy. And yes, the game is quite unique in telling the story. Very dark mood.

Play the third quest two times and you can afford another inventory bag, no prob.

17. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    Just move the zoom slider to the place you want and without releasing your finger with another finger press the button to go back

18. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    I can vouch for Dungeon Defenders, it's a really good game especially multiplayer. I think it's also cross platform with android

19. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Still playing Heroes Call, and definitely recommend it - I did end up buying an IAP but it was totally optional (just unlocking an extra class). I don't know what replayability is like, but I've been playing regularly for a few days and still have plenty of content. Lots of fun. :)

20. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Heroes Call has totally been my jam for the past week. I bought gold twice. I like the game a lot, but you'd have to grind a #### ton to play this for free.