GTA 3 Graphics modding guide (must see)!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dan007, Dec 19, 2011.

1. I tried the .set file, and it doesnt have the things that will make the graphics like the A5 devices, So I tried changing that, and I made the graphics blurry (probably my fault)

With the handling, i've tried the ambulance, and I can actually drive that fast, but I could use more testing in that

2. Cypher

Cypher Member

May 4, 2012
    Your packs run great on my new iPad,framerate is the exact same as vanilla gta3,everything works as far as I can tell..skid marks,newspapers,reflections,aa,etc,handling of the cars feels even better with my Logitech joystick then before,all is A okay!

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA

Hmm

I believe that when I downloaded the file it was actually an iPhone 4 .set, with the only things changed being the draw distance and particles (hence the extra smoke and leaves). It wasn't changed to turn on a5 lighting and shadows, it just let the game auto detect that.

You wanted a5 lighting along with tire treads, newspapers, extra blood and leaves? I'm afraid the game would take a huge framerate drop. If you just want the a5 lighting I think I could do that or there are uploads a few posts back that might be working.

4. thirstydude

thirstydude Well-Known Member

First i want to thank JBRUU for his awesome settings! They run perfectly on my iPad3 tough i had to enable AA manually. Except manually added AA everything worked out of the box! Great work!

The links for the cars are down, could you upload them somewhere else? that'll be awesome!

And i can't get interstate highway to work with iOS (iPad3). At the loading screen when it's done loading it just jumps back to the home screen :(

I have no jailbreak and i'm 100% sure i've modded everything correctly but it just doesn't work :( could someone give me advice with this?

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I'm currently working on totally revamping the entire selection of cars. I'll probably be able to post them Monday or this next weekend, right now I'm just going though all the sites and seeing which ones work and which ones look nice.

As for your loading problem, what's the interstate highway? Callahan bridge? Your having trouble loading between an island, is that correct? Hmm that's a little strange, afraid I don't really have an answer for you. I'm running on the exact same device, the problems I'm getting is the occasional
    (every 45 min) totally random crash. Maybe reinstall the game and re add the mods? (save your save files)

Until then, I could just upload my current .img file. It's not complete, but there are roughly 6 or so cars replaced with higher poly ones. I'm hoping to replace around 20 with my future .img file, I just need to find the time!

6. thirstydude

#246 thirstydude, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
    Take your time, i'm sure your mod will be amazing!

As for the interstate, no i get the crash on the loading screen (already reinstalled gtaIII and started a new game - still crash)

i got a few cars in my img too but i get crashes too, i share your pain :p

EDIT:
    In case you want to try your luck, here's a link for the complete manually installable interstate map:
    http://www.thegtaplace.com/downloads/f1021-intercity-highway-miss-liberty-pack

EDIT2:
    I am very interested in map mods, unfortunately i only got the bridge between the 3 islands working, if anyone knows which maps are working for gtaII iOS, please please tell me!

As soon as i'm done with modding, i'll upload my files so anyone can try out the new cars (simple drag and drop in iexplorer!)

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Crash while actually loading the game itself? Not while in-game and going between islands? Then you have a file or two in the wrong place. It's probably a duplicate or maybe an imported car that just doesn't work. I get those a lot, no idea why it would load except to many polygons, but then gta3 was designed to work on the crappiest of 10+ yr old computers and the iPad 3 has the vita's gpu. My only get is big brother apple's iOS refusing compatibility. Can not wait to jailbreak...

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I'm pretty sure odie's stunt park is working. Another guy said he managed it.

9. thirstydude

Thx, I'll give it a try!

I finally got some cars and a few little map changes without crashes, i'll post them tomorrow when i tested everything!

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Nice...I'm especially interested in those map changes.

Anyone interested in customizing Claude (your character) btw? I saw a mod that lets you do that, it looked pretty neat.

11. thirstydude

#251 thirstydude, May 20, 2012
    i couldn't get odie's stunt park to work, i think i even got the wrong files it was a 70mb download (for a map? o_O)... idk i think i messed it up, switching back to the small changes, they worked. (BTW, the only map that works so far is the small bridge connection between all islands)

is it possible that you can get me the files for odie's stunt park? that'll be great!

12. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Thankyou to those who have chosen to take up the baton and run with it...time is very limited for me and my new family, as is my net connection at the present. I look forward to some of your new .img files.

One thing I keep noticing is the mention of random crashes with custom cars (or mods). This is usually caused because of the ram limitation of iPhones/iPads and especially iTouches. Remember that even the iPhone 4S only has 512Mb ram and 1/3 of that is used up by the OS and background tasks.

So although there is a poly count limitation aswell, the ram is causing most of the problems that certain devices are experiencing. My advice would be to make an .img file just for the new iPad A5x (most ram 1Gb) and include as many customs as the device can cope with. Create a separate .img file for the A5 devices (iPhone 4S & iPad 2 - 512Mb ram) and one for the iPhone 4, iPad and below (these have the least processing power).

Also don't forget that altering the .set files for added effects also adds to the ram & processor, leaving less for the customs to be rendered...

K0N3

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Thanks K0N3. I'm actually pretty newbie at fiddling with the .set file, unfortunately. It was a five minute task just to enable AA...anyone have some basic guidelines for using the hex editor to change the .set? I would really appreciate it.

As for the cars, does anyone by any chance know the poly limit?

--------Maps-----

At the moment they're off my radar. Currently I'm going to be working on the img file. Hopefully I can get that up this coming up weekend.

14. thirstydude

#254 thirstydude, May 20, 2012
    old post.. keep scrolling!

15. thirstydude

#255 thirstydude, May 20, 2012
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GTA III iOS Mods

gta3.set and other files --> Basically JBRUU's work, i just enabled Anti Aliasing so it looks way better on the iPad 3. I also added JBRUU's handling file.

Contains:
    Max. Settings, Uncut Patch, Leaves and Papers on the Ground, new lightning and easier Dodo steering. (As I said, kudos to JBRUU!)

gta3.img--> This is what I edited with various cars and maps.

Contains:

Banshee --> Lamborghini Murcielago
    Kuruma --> Alfa 156
    Stinger --> Dodge Viper
    Infernus --> Lamborghini Countach
    Cheetah --> Porsche Carrera GT
    Sentinel --> BMW 760 Li

MAPS:
    - Bridge Connection between the cites and
    - A high stairway to the top of the hospital in the second city and
    - Ghost town bridge connection!
    (kudos to the makers of those maps!)

here are the links:
    (choose the link you want and download the .zip, unzip and simply drag and drop the files into the gtaIII folder via iexplorer or any iOS browser you want to use.)

MIRROR 1
    https://rapidshare.com/files/1798422211/gtaIII_-_iOS_mods_-_thirstydude.zip

MIRROR 2
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/nayOHt5I/gtaIII_-_iOS_mods_-_thirstydud.html?

I'm not done with this files, i want to add more as the week passes by, with the iPad 3 jailbreak coming in a few days i'll be definitely playing around with GTA III's files even more.

Future plans so far:
    - include stunt parks
    - include orbital city OR interstate highway
    - make a "perfect" .img file with every car replaced with a high quality one
    (i hope i can count on JBRUU's help here ;) )

THESE FILES ARE ONLY CONFIRMED TO WORK FLAWLESSLY AND CRASHFREE ON THE iPAD3!
    Other iOS Devices MAY work, but i only tested the iPad 3. But with highest possible resolution, high poly cars and other graphical improvements (even AA) i think the iPad3 (A5X) and likely the iPhone 4S / iPad2 (A5) are the only devices which can run this preset at smooth frame rates.

Have Fun!

PS: JBRUU, could you make a particles.cfg for me without the extra smoke? i really want the new reflection system and all but the extended smoke really drops the fps on the new iPad3 when driving around and randomly crashing my car into a wall or having an "argument" with another driver ingame :p so i decided to stay with the original particles.cfg.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA

I think you can disable the smoke in the .set file. Unfortunately, I'm familiar with everything but modding that...so I'm afraid you're on your own there. The only files that are my own are the handling, the rest I merely download, tested and compiled.

I'm actually really surprised you're getting a low fps with the smoke-I notice a slight drop but nothing like nova 3.

17. thirstydude

#257 thirstydude, May 20, 2012
    Yeah, there actually is a slight drop, but when i'm done with my mod, everything should be playable at a smooth framerate. The smoke setting actually is inside the particle.cfg, but i don't really know how to modify this one... :( although, i'll give it a try now!

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    use notepad, just like the handling

19. thirstydude

#259 thirstydude, May 20, 2012
    i did it, actually it was quite easy. i removed the uber tire smoke and reduced it so it doesn't eat my fps but still looks pretty neat. (Basically not that tiny-ass smoke as in original game neither the uber smoke setting, i'm exactly in the middle so it looks awesome and doesn't eat fps away!) I'll include the fixed file in my complete mod!

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Nice!
    Made some progress on the .img today, too. hard, though, because 60% of modded cars don't load.

Found some nice ones, though.