Announcing Tonga

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Patricia Curtis, Jan 9, 2013.

?

How much would you pay for my game ?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2013.
  1. Below $1 (£1 uk)

33.3%
  2. Between $1 & $2 (£ uk)

33.3%
  3. Between $2 & $3 (£ uk)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Only if its free

33.3%
  5. Only if its free with Advertising!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Patricia Curtis

Patricia Curtis Active Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Games Development
    Nottingham UK
  2. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

#2 schplurg, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    I'm trying the free version. I'm on level 3 and the thing I'm shooting with wants to aim itself after I let go. It only happens when using the Offset Controls option - it doesn't have the problem when using regular aiming. When I aim and let go, the thingie rotates a little bit by itself. I like the offset aiming better too... iPhone 5. Haven't tried on the iPad yet.

Looks pretty cool though.

Update: Offset aiming doesn't seem to work right on iPad 3 either. It doesn't stay where I want it to.

Update 2:
    Game is pretty fun, but I don't really understand why I win a level when I do. I'm not very observant so maybe it's right in front of my face. Sometimes being able to launch a ball by touching anywhere on the screen ends up in accidental shots. I'm also a bit colorblind, so some of the colors are kind of difficult for me to differentiate when only little piece of the next ball is sticking out of the turret. That's very subjective though, everyone is different. I see you have designs on the balls but they are sometimes difficult to see. For me, it's the lighter colored balls, like white and some other color hehe. I dunno. It's a common problem for me in match 3 style games.

The aiming is better on the iPad, especially since offset controls don't work right - or if they do I am using them wrong. The game gets difficult after just a few levels, though I keep forgetting to use my powerups.

3. Patricia Curtis

Jan 4, 2013
    Games Development
    Nottingham UK
    The offset controls was for small screen, thanks for finding it and trying, yeah i think its because our fingers are fat and the last point to leave the screen when you lift creates a turn.

Have you tried pressing the head as the firing mechanism, like using outside the circle for turning and then press inside the circle for firing.

4. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem that the turrets movement is from finger slip like when you lift it up. It moves sometimes as much as 15-20 degrees, slowly, after I lift my finger.

I like tapping anywhere to fire rather than just on the turret, however sometimes it fires when I don't want it to. Maybe have an option for "tap turret to fire? Or maybe if you tap where you want to fire, the gun has to be aiming at least close to the point you tap. That way if I tap behind the turret it doesn't fire the opposite direction.

I dunno, usually my accidental firing is when I touch the screen inadvertently while moving the iPad or changing seating positions.

I like the game and played it more last night. A couple of other notes: I wish the turret would aim/spin faster sometimes, as I will aim and shoot quickly before the turret has fully rotated. That's okay though, I need to slow down.

The only mild annoyance is the animated doors that open and close when entering a menu, etc. I kinda get impatient waiting for it after awhile, as it seems unnecessary.

All minor gripes though, except the Offset aiming, that's driving me nuts. I like the game and will purchase it. I still don't know what makes a completed level, perhaps I should read the Help section more haha ;) I tend to rush things.

Nice game!

5. touchten

touchten Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    congrats on the release!
    :D
    How long did it take to make?

6. Patricia Curtis

Jan 4, 2013
    Games Development
    Nottingham UK
    I put some information about Tonga on my website http://luckyredfish.com/tonga , but if your in a rush, I spent 12 months writing the game then shelved it for 1 and half years because of an argument with Oberon games over another project, then discovered the backup, and spent 6 months making the PC and Mac versions with new graphics, sold the mac version through big fish games, and the pc version i shelved again because they wanted it to run on too low spec machines. Then a year later I spent another 2-3 months making the mobile versions, with odd time here and there adjusting it for Blackberry play-book, Android, and Ios. But its just been me the whole time and when I say 12 months, that's normally 12 months at 10 hours a day 6-7 days a week. so quite a lot of hours.

To all of you on the post , thanks for your feedback!

7. Patricia Curtis

Jan 4, 2013
    Games Development
    Nottingham UK
    The doors are there to mask the scene changes and the loading of new graphics. Because of the huge amount to art I have made for this game over 15Mb. There is so much that needs to be loaded over the things that is already being displayed on the screen so i show the doors that are permanent in memory. The doors are only shut for as long as it takes to load the new graphics.

And maybe you should have a look at the help :) just a little. I have tested the offset controls today again and the normal controls, and i cant see a problem with it. are you actually taping the screen rather than pressing?

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)