Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    And it looks better on android anyway.

iPad 3 was beat by the Samsung S3 in graphics benchmarks a few days ago I suspect a lot of phones will start doing the same now.

Also video ram is much more effective than shared RAM which is already being hammered by IOS running, and trying to dismiss double the CPU power is wishful thinking. Fact is the iPad 2 is a better gaming machine due to the silly resolution.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The S3 beats on PAPER, perhaps, but what about the shitty OS? We all know android hogs system resources like crazy. I'd have to see what benchmark was used, besides. It's hard to compare android and iOS systems because they are so different.

Shadowgun was specifically designed with tegra 3. Mad finger said that they would not port over the extra effects for that reason.

The CPU is not relevant for gaming. It's the gpu, gpu, gpu and ram. And as for the iPad 2, the 3rd was twice as powerful at native resolution. Again, most games either won't be released in native res or will have a toggle like nova will and galaxy on fire does.

And, despite all you have said, resistance looks like crap compared to nova 3 mc3 on retina. And I can't get past the 8 player limit on multi...

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    But I want to get into a stupid vita vs ipad spec war. They're both powerful devices capable of pushing very sharp-looking games. Suffice it to say that at this point, iOS shooters look superior to the vita's. Wait for the vita to mature.

4. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #1784 Teknikal, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
    I'm going to refrain from replying to your posts just so I don't help drag the thread down.

But we will see what the reviews say when Resistance Burning Skies is actually out, I'm quite confident it will be ten times the game compared to Nova 3 and the reviews will reflect it.

I don't want to bash the iPad 3 either they share almost the same GPU, so are capable of almost the same graphics not taking resolution and controls into account, the latter is very important to me when it comes to fps games.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Ok. You make good points. I'll leave you guys in peace as a drawn out debate wasn't my original intention.

6. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Wouldn't worry it's at least partly my fault I find it hard not to defend the Vita when I've been playing it daily I suspect I'd feel the same way about the iPad 3 if I bought one.

On another Vita related topic there a rumour that two upcoming E3 titles have been leaked.

http://i.imgur.com/GKjgb.jpg

Whether it's true or not is 50/50 as it may have originated on 4chan which isn't exactly a reliable source of information.

7. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Ummm... Have you ever played PC games on a computer that had a bad CPU but a good GPU and RAM? It definitely plays a role in how good a game will run.

If the CPU is too slow or inadequate, the game may look nice, but it'll either run slower than it should or possibly be unplayable- at like slideshow speeds. So yeah, the CPU doesn't matter if you're fine playing games with a lot of lag. The CPU is A LOT more important than the RAM.

The CPU is also responsible for in-game physics, AI, data calculations, etc.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    *sigh*

I thought I was done with this.

If you read a few posts back, I acknowledged the cpu's importance in some areas of gaming. And it doesnt take an amazing cpu to process physics and where the enemy is. The ram and gpu are far more important overall. Try playing BF with an awesome octa-core overclocked 4ghz CPU with a 256 mb video card and 512 mb of ram and report back with your findings.

@technika
    Yeah me too I like to argue tech, and can get a little to snippy about things. Srry if I trolled.

9. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    I don't give a damn about tech specs in gaming. My all-time favorite game is X-Com UFO Defense which was released in 93 and even then it had bad graphics. I don't get all these orgasms about Retina displays or xCore processors when all you get is games with copy/paste stories and terrible ART in graphics, not to mention moronic AI and repetitive gameplay. I also think Resistance Burning Skies graphics look bad (e.g., just take a look at the Chimeran yellow tubes in the back - laughable), but I've played every single Resistance game and all of them have great story and gameplay. In the iOS front, things get much worse due to the casual playing dominance and the emergence of this freemium model which in my opinion is one of the worst things that EVER happened to gaming. I rarely play iOS anymore and when I do that is mostly because I bumped into a hidden gem; that happened a few days ago when I discovered Trump's Journey which is a wonderful game but reminds me all the time of the final and greatest iOS gaming flaw - the lack of physical buttons make A WORLD of difference, touch controls are fine for adventures and some RPGs (FF Tactics for Ipad is by far the greatest iteration of the game) but unbearable - at least for "hardcore" gamers - for platformers and shooters.

10. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm also a huge fan of X Com I really did play that one to death I hope the remake later this year does it a bit of justice it almost looks like a cross between Xcom and Valkryie Chronicles to me.

I really don't think Resistance looks bad at all I'm quite excited by it and it should sell a fair few Vitas on it's own.
    Should also add so far I've found every Vita game looks way better on the console than the screen shots I guess it's just the nature of the OLED screen.

11. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #1791 HardcoreEricXXX, May 15, 2012
    Tech and file sizes can be debunked with one word....nintendo. Some of my favorite DS games were 16mb and what was the processor? like 133mhz?

edit: a 66mhz arm9, and 33mhz arm7. 64kb and 4kb ram respectively, and 512kb vram.

12. Same here. To be fair though, GameCube was more powerful than PS2 in terms of specs. It wasn't until last gen (Wii) that Nintendo started to focus less on specs and more on gimmicks.

13. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Even nowadays I still play it from time to time. X-Com is my favorite overall game ever, and Valkyria Chronicles is my favorite game noone played; so, if the new game is a cross between them, I'm happy and fine with that. But even if the game turns out to suck, as the original game will very likely be re-released at least as a PS1 Classic, we win anyway, imagine playing the original X-Com in our Vitas, assuming by that time Sony will have already given us that feature (PS1 support), naturally.

14. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
  15. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

After taking the time to redo those Soul Sacrifice video's with English translations, they better release the game in the west at some point! The game looks fun.

16. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #1796 x999x, May 15, 2012
    Available Today
    PSP Titles:
    Cho Aniki Zero (Aksys Games Localization, Inc.)
    Strikers 1945 Plus (PM Studios, Inc.)
    Tom Clancy’S Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (UbiSoft, Inc.)
    Tom Clancy’S Rainbow Six: Vegas (UbiSoft, Inc.)
    Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (XSEED JKS, Inc.)
    Ys: I & II Chronicles Digital (XSEED JKS, Inc.)
    PSP minis:
    Aero Racer (Halfbrick Studios)
    Age Of Zombies (Halfbrick Studios)
    Blast Off (Halfbrick Studios)
    Dynogems (StormBasic)
    Echoes (Halfbrick Studios)
    Me Monstar: Hear Me Roar (Cohort Studios)
    Vempire (Impressionware Srl)

----

AGE OF ZOMBIES!!!

Just gave AoZ a go and just remembered the PSP only had one analog stick, so firing is done the SMASHTV way on SNES using a button, or combination of buttons to give you 8 directions to shoot. Wish HalfBrick could update the game with the other analog for aiming.

Edit -

Need to redact that last statement, I decided to see what the OS menu did (tap and hold screen) whilst AoZ was running and it lets you define the 2nd analog as the fire buttons!!! w00t dual stick shooter :D :D :D

17. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    That boss battle in Resistance. *-*
    Can't wait to get my hands on that game.

18. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    There's so much dead space that it makes it increasingly difficult over the face buttons.

19. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

So does AoZ have more content than its iOS counterpart or is it pretty much the same?

20. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    less resistance on my fingers with using the 2nd analog for firing, that equates to longer sessions in survival mode comfort :)

This is the PSP version, of which I've never played until now. Judging from what I've seen, it looks identical to the original iOS release. Woulda been cool if it was at least AoZ: Anniversary Edition.