iPhone iJAMMA - looking for beta testers

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Stroffolino, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    iJAMMA is a thin client alternative to gaming on an iPad, based on ideas published by James Burland.

iJAMMA is not an emulator. iJAMMA works alongside a Mac/PC service installed on your home network. The iPad client automatically discovers this home network server, connects, and presents video/audio + onscreen touch controls, extending your iPad to run a rich collection of apps/games.

I think there's an excellent chance that iJAMMA will be approved by Apple, in the same spirit as the existing "PocketCloud" application.

I'm looking for folk to help test this app prior to an official submission. If interested, please send me a PM.

Some details:

iJAMMA's protocols are optimized to use limited network bandwidth.
    In my home, several fast action games run at ~60fps with ~1.5Mbits/second of audio/video data and no perceptible latency.

iJAMMA core client software and server SDK will be published as open source.

iJAMMA supports high performance apps, including games with lots of emulation overhead (such as MAME) that might not be capable of running natively on an iPad at full framerate.

The iJAMMA client is tiny, and capable of running complex games with no additional iPad flash storage consumption.

iJAMMA will include optional support for using iPods/iPhones as additional virtual controllers, suitable for multiplayer gaming or for gaming where the iPad screen real estate is used 100% as a monitor.

iJAMMA can support browsing photos and other media from your home network without having to physically sync them to your device.

The iJAMMA HN server can be extended with new content as quickly as that content becomes available, and without jailbreaking.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
  3. noogen69

noogen69 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    This sounds like a great idea. I'll be interested.

4. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks,
    Please shoot me a private message with your 40 character iPad deviceid and let me know whether you plan to use a PC or Mac for the HN server.

I'll be distributing the beta tomorrow, and setting up a social group to collect feedback.

5. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    needs a better name?

to extend out the original idea what if you could package the game platform with that of a news platform too? call it TouchArcade branding logo and all and allow it to be both a MAME, a riche arcade blog and have it's own forum too :)

well it doesn't have to be TA it could be anyone really...

Just as long as it has reviews, screenshots, videos, news about the project or devs, releases ect and a forum too :)

I would love to beta test but I don't have an ipad nor can I afford one at the moment :(

D

6. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #6 Stroffolino, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    I think the name is ok, considering the main motivation for this project (search for "JAMMA" in google). But if you or anyone else has better ideas, I'm listening!

I do hope this takes off for things other than the most obvious use, but I have no intention of personally maintaining any central servers other than a website with the latest SDK, news, FAQ, and some sample apps/sources.

7. noogen69

noogen69 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Referencing JAMMA is a bit obscure unless your familiar with the arcade scene. Unless you have lots of press, I think naming the app to match its function would gain more popularity. Here are a few names that you might like:

Stream Arcade
    Emu Stream
    iCade Remote
    RetroStation

Ipad Arcade Super Turbo 2 Remix

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I agree. Basically, what you've created here is a way to turn your iPad into a general arcade cabinet -- similar to what Microsoft is doing with XBox Live. I'm sure that you can come up with a name that does a better job of suggesting the golden age of arcade gaming.

Just not iArcade, please.

9. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    There's a balance to be struck though. My goal first and foremost is to get this approved by Apple so it can be used on non-jailbroken devices. Picking a name that more obviously suggests emulation or arcade games could easily flag it for rejection, justified or not.

it doesn't matter too much to me if this becomes popular or not, since I have no intention of charging a dime for it. In fact, as a free app, I'm quite sure it will get tons of 1 star user ratings from people that don't read the instructions or visit the support page :)

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I see your point...

11. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    PM sent.

12. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    hmmm i see....

i mean a legit arcade emulator is great and all... i like the idea, and it depends on if apple approves it or not, but your going to have to package an "arcade store" with it am i right? how else will users get the games?

if so it would be wise to come correct with a news platform within the app too if only just a news tab that fetches content from your personal blog page that outlines the project from your perspective but down the road (if this takes off) this news tab could also serve as a way to let developers issue press releases/blog post too

not to mention if a store is packaged it will need to have the whole works...
    -description of the game
    -bio/history
    -wiki link
    -upload screenshots
    -attach videos
    -ratings
    -user comments
    -top tens
    -categories
    -new and noteworthy section

the whole works...

assuming apple approves such a venture of course :)

good luck!!