GTA Chinatown Wars BOMBS (90,000 copies first month); hopefully headed to the iPhone?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    NPD sales came out yesterday and it turns out that after all the hype Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars couldn't manage 90,000 copies in its first month out. Didn't even chart in the top 20, instead 800,000 decided to buy the latest Pokemon. As traditionally game sales are heavily front-loaded, this does not look well for the DS game.

BUT this hopefully could turn out to be a good thing for us, cause I'm sure Rockstar will be taking a look at Payback and Carjack Streets and see how they are doing, and eventually make a port! They will charge a lot more than 2.99 of course.

What do you think?

2. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Maybe for the 4rth Gen iPod/iPhone....otherwise, I think it is wishful thinking :(

3. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Apple isn't gonna allow Rock Star's mature content, and Rock Star isn't going to conform to Apple's rules/guidelines for content. The only reason they made it for DS is cause Nintendo gave them the green light to exploit it's mature content.

4. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    When was Chinatown Wars released? Mid to late March right? It'll probably show better numbers for April's NPD sales.

5. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    I bet if Rockstar submitted it Apple would approve it based solely on the fact that Rockstar is a big, well known company.

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Plus all the $$$$$$$ apple could be bringing in.

7. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    Exactly.

8. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    It charted 3 weeks. Videogame sales are frontloaded, it isn't suddenly going to chart 250000 copies next NPD.

9. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's the DS's demographic? Kids aren't going to be allowed to buy or play GTA for the most part.

10. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I think there is little chance of this happening. After all, I would think Nintendo has the rights to the game.

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Two things:

1. NPD data does not track games sold via Wal-Mart, and as anyone who is anyone knows, Wal-Mart is among the larger retail chains selling games in the US.

2. 80% of the DS demographic is aged 8 to 15. So that leaves 20% for CTW to sell to, and not all of that 20% might be interested in a GTA game.

As for the possibility of CTW on iTouch/Phone...I think Nintendo has exclusive rights over the game. But...there might be a loophole. As I've stated in the past, contrary to what seems to be semi popular opinion around here, iTouch/Phone is NOT in direct competition with DS or PSP. The latter two are in the portable game system market, while iTouch/Phone is part of the mobile market. Different markets, and as such Rockstar might be able to release it on the iTouch/Phone platform due to it being a mobile platform and not in the portable game system market.

12. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    I own GTA Chinatown Wars and let me tell you... it's awesome. I think the reason it works so well is because the game was designed from the ground up specifically for Nintendo's handheld platform. Sure, the iPhone/Touch do share similarities with the DS but overall they are very different platforms. If Rockstar were going to give iDevice owners a GTA of their own, I think it would make more sense to build a game around the specific hardware. Oh, and bet your ass you'd be paying premium for it too (though I think most people would be happy to)!

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It wouldn't surprised me if it did well in April. Most of my friends (myself included) were very reluctant to pick it up because of how bad the GBA GTA's were. After seeing it in person though, it was an instant purchase.

14. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    hahaha

Rockstar to collaborate with Candy Wars people in an effort to clean up China Town Wars drug economic model.

15. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    It's a third party game. Rockstar owns the rights to the game and they can do whatever they want with it.

16. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Nintendo apparently assisted rather extensively with development...there is some talk of $$$ changing hands. So it may be an under the table deal sort of exclusive.

That said, I can see Rockstar eventually testing the waters on iTouch/Phone...with one of the older PC GTA games.

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Oh not this again, we have to deal with it everytime at Neogaf. While Walmart does not release its exact figures, NPD are the best in the business at providing estimates through insider and manufacturing figures, one of which is Walmart, and they are very close.

Walmart figures are ALWAYS accounted for in the NPD.

18. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Chinatown Wars is hands down, my favorite GTA. I'd recommend it to any adult who wishes they were a badass Chinese gangster drug runner out for blood.

19. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    That being said, Neogaf is teh sucks.

20. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

this will never ever happen, i think that more than 90,000 people bought this game too, i no i did, it beats anything on the iphone