I'm back! Kind of...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jakooistra, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    (Prologue)

So I've been silent for a long time. Some of you may remember me from 2008-2010, when I brought you strange color-centric action gameplay in the form of Blue Defense, Blue Attack, and Red Conquest. I collaborated with a friend of mine who brought his genius forth in the form of Fastar! - a game that truly still warms my heart when I hear the intro screen's theme music.

(Act 1)

I came from the beginning, right from the Canadian launch of the iPhone 3G all the way to iOS 4, and participated in the meteoric rise of the App Store. It was a thrill, and I had the highest hopes of making my games studio a success with my best friends and creative souls from university (who were also groomsmen at my wedding!).

And then I went quiet. So very quiet. And you all deserve better than that.

(Act 2)

The basic story is that we weren't making enough money, and I was a newlywed looking to make ends meet and start a family. So I got a "real" job, and had less time to dedicate to my real passion of making video games.

The more complicated story is that I got that job at Research in Motion, who paid me very, very well - but did not at all let me work in my spare time on any project involving code. In fact, during the contract negotiation stage, I fought tooth and nail to have a clause added where I could continue at least updating our current games. Sadly, in the end, they refused, and I needed the money, so I accepted their legal terms. I was barred from promoting, updating, or even blogging about my games, and completely unable to create new games and content. Actually, I did get a clause amended where I could work on red conquest for two months after starting, but I didn't manage to get the update for red conquest out.

From there, Cat in a box fizzled out. Red conquest was too large for the others to carry on as they already had another project, which ended up taking a year of their time and then not being releasable due to crazy legal issues (that's a whole other story!), and then they also needed money and got real jobs.

However, there is hope!

(Act 3)

Working at RIM slowly ate my soul, since I couldn't work on my personal projects. By early 2012, I was back in active discussions with RIM legal a out it, and generally being pretty depressed that I wasn't getting anywhere, all over again.

I resolved to quit. :)

For me of course, but also for you - the people who care about my games and want more. I loved the community. :)

I found a job where everything is completely flexible, they don't care about personal projects as long as I'm not stealing company IP or working less than I should, or doing something in the same field that they could use. As it should be! I guess it's easier to police that in a company of half a dozen people though, instead of the monstrous 10,000+ person company that RIM is now.

I'm done settling in there, and I'm finally back to being inspired to do my projects, so code is being written! Actions are being taken!

Cat in a Box is back!

Kind of.

(Epilogue)

All three of us Cat in a Box guys have day jobs. Generally that means if we do find the time, and are inspired, we still only have 1/10 the time to work on projects as we would when we were full time.

I am currently in active development on a side project, not sure of it'll go anywhere, but it's exciting to me, and that's the biggest thing - this is a hobby now, and I have to be able to come home from work and still feel the desire to pull out the computer and get going on a different code project.

So, my final question to you, the community - would you rather see updates, or new stuff? Or bringing back old stuff that's been pulled from the App Store? (Like Blue Attack and the original Blue Defense)

And be warned that any releases will be much slower than three years ago, but at least it will be much faster than they have been in the last two years. :p

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I would love to see an HD/Universal update - or even separate HD build of Red Conquest. This game was still on my iPod up until last month when I deleted everything to give the device to one of my daughters, and it's still on my iPad. It's been one of my favorite strategy games for quite some time now. I also love Fastar and Blue Defense. Fastar was unlike anything I'd seen when it came out - and I was completely addicted to it.

But I'd also love to see something new - I'm sure you've learned quite a bit over the years, and have got some pretty funky/interesting ideas floating around in your head!

Great to see another crazy talented dev on the forums. I hope more people comment... maybe even check out some older titles that still hold up years later (quite the feat in iOS gaming)...
    Anywho...
    WELCOME BACK!

3. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    That's what I like to hear. :) Blind faith in my ability as a game developer. There is no greater flattery. :p

You really think so? Blue Attack was a bit iffy (noticably low res graphics now and difficult controls), and the control scheme and tutorial for Red Conquest could really use an overhaul. Those could have been overhauled day one. :( Fastar! is pretty timeless though. :) I love the style.

Thanks! I'm super excited to be in a position to develop again. Even if it's slow, it's at least something. :)

4. c4r105

c4r105 Active Member

Apr 3, 2010
    IT
    UK
    Good to hear your back as Conquest is still on my new iphone 5, never removed it! In fact I think I've had it on my orignal iPhone 8GB, 3GS, and 4S so a real iOS classic IMHO, top strategy game and good luck with future projects.

5. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Retina + universal updates for the older titles would be nice.

6. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    I vote for something new. No point spending too long trying to crowbar the older stuff into the "modern" age (in relative terms). I own all of your titles, I remember first hearing the blue defense advert you used to have on the gamers with jobs podcast! Would be great to see something powered by new hardware! Glad to see you back, we will take you in whatever form you come in! #

7. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    #7 Unfrozen, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    Like everyone else, I am overjoyed to hear that you are back to some extent. I have been an avid 4X and RTS gamer for many years and Red Conquest struck me as a near perfect iOS space RTS. Manuevering my fleet works so well that I keep coming back to it. Even with it being outdated I continue to play it on my iPad mini and iPhone 5, even more so than more known titles such as Gratuitous Space Battles or the Blue Libra series.

Updates to the old game would be preferred but perhaps not as financially beneficial as releasing a new app. Although Red Conquest has accumulated a lot of positive reviews over the years that give it a good head start. Either way Game Center multiplayer, universal or iPad support would be amazing. Anything else would be gravy but I am sure others mig have some cool suggestions for new features.

I live in Ontario as well, and the tales of problems at RIM are something that I have heard from former employees. My cousin used to work for Nortel and its a shame to see RIM going down a similar path. Glad to hear that you have found a smaller employer that you are happier to work for and can get back into game development.

Whatever you plan to do, I look forward to any new life you would breath into your old games or future ones.

8. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Welcome back! I'd love to see your older titles optimized for iPhone 5 and maybe bring back Blue Defense 1 but I'd rather see you guys create new projects rather than add content to old ones. A ton of great memories in those older titles and I look forward to something more! Good luck and thank you for sharing your story.

9. Rusothil

Rusothil Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Welcome back, don't leave again!!

10. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    - Universal updates to all existing games. It would open up to more gamers (iPad owners).

- Possibly add IAP to all existing games as add-ons (or something) so people can support the Dev further.

- New games down the line. I happily own all titles and only stopped playing them because I don't own a smaller device anymore (though Red Conquest hasn't been deleted and probably never will) and don't prefer to play at x2. I love every title and would love to re-download and play them on my mini.

BIG welcome back and Godspeed. :)

11. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    A quick question, do you replay the missions? Do random skirmishes? Or is it just nice to have red conquest on your device, like a comforting teddy bear? I have apps like that. :)

12. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Welcome back! Glad you could find yourself with a job that lets you code, because in the end, it's all about being happy.

13. allaricb

allaricb Member

Jan 5, 2013
    hey i am allaric and it is obviously i am a new member here, so what can i say to u? WELCOME BACK! :) i would like to see new stuff

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Do it. Really hoping the next chapter will be released too. Want to see people start playing online again, heh. An HD version of RC would just be downright incredible.

15. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Welcome Back! As we speak FASTAR is being redownloaded on my phone. My God that game was fantastic. Makes me feel old considering it feels like just yesterday I downloaded it on my 2nd generation ipod touch. Where has the time gone? Oh well haha, anyways welcome back!

16. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Just responded in the Blue Attack thread but happy to see this one sprout up. Welcome back :)

My vote is to spend some time "warming up" to game dev again by updating your old titles with universal/iPhone 5 support, if it isn't too daunting of a task.

If I had to pick JUST ONE of your games to be brought up to date, it would be Fastar. FWIW :)

Of course I'd be extremely interested in your new projects as well.

17. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    There's an interesting point of note here, that I am currently developing something new, and it's got me totally fired up and inspired - which is exactly what I need to keep me going if this is going to be a hobby thing now. :p

I'm very interested to see all the demand for the old games though, I figured they'd be dead and gone after years of neglect - but no! You guys have really surprised me.

Maybe I'll create a poll or something, if demand is high enough I'll totally update the old titles. It just might take a year for me to do it at my current rate! :p

I like the idea of a blue arcade type title, in general. I also really like the idea of simple updates to get iPhone 5 widescreen support and universal support, but as I mentioned before, the apps are in need of an overhaul - Game Center is a necessity if I'm going to get approved on the App Store, for technical reasons. So updating the old code isn't quite as easy as you'd think.

Keep letting me know your favourite games, and your favourite parts of them - its really encouraging! Which is another thing I need if I'm going to continue this work in addition to having a day job and a baby! :p

18. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    Red Conquest and Fastar are some of my favorite iOS games, great to see you back, can't wait to see what you have in store. I think you should try to concentrate on making a new game, instead of re-releasing old ones. But I'd love to see an HD update to Red Conquest with maybe a few more features.

19. touchten

touchten Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Welcome back

You made the right decision now,
    It is always a motivation to read stories like these,
    Especially coming from a very talented individuals like you and your team

All the best!!

Anton

20. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    \:D/ Yay! \:D/

Glad to hear from you!

I'd love to see HD versions of Blue Attack and Red Conquest, but new or old I'm sure whatever you're willing to grace us with will be fan-damn-tastic!

Welcome back!