Would you buy an iOS device just for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CaptainAhab, Jun 22, 2014.

?

Would you buy one just for gaming?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. CaptainAhab

CaptainAhab Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I recently started dipping my feet into the more serious side of the iOS gaming market on the iPhone 5 and I have been blown away by the quality of some of the titles.

Simply put, would you buy an iOS device, like an iTouch or an iPad, just to play iOS games?

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    To be perfectly honest, gaming is the best part of iThings right now.

That said, even though I voted yes, I would not buy an iPhone/iPod touch with the sole purpose of gaming. It will never replace PC or console gaming. But the beauty of iThings is that they can do more than one thing.

The iPad is pretty much my favorite device.

3. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Got a PS4 and a Xbox 360, but I still use my iPad for gaming quite often because there are a ton of awesome iOS games (Wayward Souls, DEVICE 6 or Neon Shadow) that deserve to be played, also I travel a lot and honestly I wouldn't travel with my PS4 on a backpack, so yes, I would buy a iDevice just for gaming

4. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Hell yes. :)

5. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I bought a 5s for that reason. Now I'm going to have to get the 6, too.

6. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    It is a jack of all trades, but not a master of one. The reason I won't buy an iDevice solely for gaming. But it does an overall good job.

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    It's what I do 99% of the time and the main reason for buying the iPad. I will use it on rare occasions to scan documents, star gazing, etc. but that's just a fraction of use compared to gaming.
    I've tons of games on the Touch but its become more of a pda after the purchase of the iPad but it was initially bought with gaming in mind as well.

On the flip side of things the next Touch device I purchase will become a pda mainly but will have games although not a priority. The iPad fulfills my gaming needs at this time mainly because of the convenience and larger screen.

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I did, I bought this ipad just for gaming.

Good games mind, stuff like KotoR, FTL, Dragon Quest VIII, Phantom Leader, Baldurs Gate etc etc, not trash like candy crush ;)

9. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    It's inferior in every respect besides gaming; so yes and I did.

10. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Haha iDevices aren't that bad :D but yeah I would buy one for gaming if I could afford it.

11. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    That question could be taken two ways. I think the way you mean is, is gaming on iOS enough to justify purchasing one of these devices today, solely for games? I'd say yes, mostly because a lot of my favorite games of all time received updated iOS ports that make them better than they ever were originally. And besides, I've been gaming on iOS since the old installer.app jailbreak service on the original iPhone, and I'm not ready to stop just yet.

I think the more interesting way to look at the question is, what if Apple made an iOS device specifically for gaming? Something like an iPod Touch with an upgraded GPU, built-in MFi controller, big screen, and stereo speakers. Personally, I think that would be a very tempting product...

12. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I'm not sure I understand. What else would I do with my iPad? :D

I guess people use them to "surf the net" and stream media.

I disagree iPads are inferior. Spec wise, I suppose. But without (worthy/worthwhile) software, hardware means zero, nadda, nothing. ;)

13. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Yes. I'm on my second iPad purchased solely for gaming.

14. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I haven't touched an iPad yet.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally. Only reason I got an iPod touch and iPad

Now I have an iPhone but that's due to gaming. Not blown away by the phone, which seems normal to me. It's all about the apps specially the games

16. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I wouldn't buy one just for gaming, I'd probably go with a 3DS or vita. Games on that devices are far superior to iOS games.

17. TheWorld2

TheWorld2 New Member

It's funny now. As someone in the industry, I can see the Android market is starting to grow faster and bigger in developing countries and the industrialized ones. It's hard as a dev just to make your game App store only now when there are so many of us going cross platform.

18. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Really?

Show me how I can play Knights of the old Republic, Baldur's Gate, FTL and Transport Tycoon etc etc on a 3DS and I'll buy one.

19. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Not at all,I would rather buy a 3ds+vita+cheap android which would be a million times better deal than buying a 850$ device not even capable of handling old ps2 ports.

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I bought my first idevice, an ipod touch 4th gen, because a friend let me play Infinity Blade 1 on his touch4 a little. I got a bit jealous, so i got me one. Next thing i know, i had an iphone, then 3 ipads.

My iPad Air is my favorite thing right now next to my wife and son. :D