Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Focus Vision is definitely a visual embellishment, much like the backgrounds, more than it is a functional enhancement and as such it makes sense that there should be an option to disable it.

Also, I'm #2 in Asia with the Trinity! But, when I was looking at the ship specific ranks, the #1 in the world is held by someone in Europe with 33mil, and when I switch to the default ranks the #1 is some guy in Australia with 12mil... very odd.

2. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Great feedback guys. First up, Phoenix HD 2.0.1 is rolling out as we speak, which fixes the issue some people had, like Poli (thanks for the crash reports!)

@sapphire: I don't know if you are a married man (i'm not), but I heard honeymoons aren't always what they seem :) Anyway, your feedback is much appreciated and much discussed here at Firi Games. I will not reflect upon everything your wrote at this point as I think we'll gradually get there.
    Regarding the screenshot where you ask if we want people to buy drones, no, but we want the game to become harder when you progress. In the previous version there were a couple of hard turrets that were only used in a couple of mid ranged setups. Hence the 'end game' did not contain the most difficult possibilities. This model has completely been revised and was implemented regardless of boosts players might rely on. It is amazing players got to the scores they did in earlier versions, playing games that last hours instead of the mere minutes we intended :)

Phoenix Wake is indeed a 'luxury' boost, simply to save time. When activated your ship will fly at high speed and all ships will explode when they appear on the screen. This lasts for 20 encounters. Drops like weapon upgrades and coins occur as normal, powerups don't drop during that time. Hope that clarifies it.

This update brought a lot of new factors into the mix and shook up a lot of the existing mechanics. Trust me when I say that the whole endeavour is super scary and exciting at the same time for us devs and we're happy to receive your nicely elaborate feedback.

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    THIS is by far the most beautiful, most amazing Phoenix yet! I think, pretty much has been improved vastly. The new ship and its mechanic are creative and really cool. The graphics were always awesome but also got a lot better (more background, the amazing fade to black and white). I think the coin system is a perfect fit for this game. It was never leaving my device but lately I just wasn't playing it. But now, addiction came back. All prices are fair and you earn a ton of coins if you know the game. So, you now have goals to aim for, that brings back my motivation to play that game a ton! Wow, I cannot describe how much I love the update. The map based highscores, minimal menus, I love it! And yes, the resurrection animation fitting perfectly to the game's title.

I could happily die with this version of Phoenix. I'm blown away once again.
    THE definite endless shmup for me.

4. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    You mean I wasn't supposed to play for 6 hours straight?!?! :eek:

5. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    What is the maximum amount of coins you have won in a single run so far?

6. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Haven't checked exactly. But easily more than 1000. So, it's not a grind fest like most of the other IAP apps out there. Not at all.

7. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Haha, no that's fine (excellent even), but some of those 50+ mil games last over an hour on themselves.... 1 game!

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    It might seem like 1k is a generous amount, but it doesn't stack up when you compare it with the basic boosts which cost upwards of 1k altogether, and upwards of 3k if you want drones too (and 6k+ if you want that revive too). You'll need 2 or 3 long farming runs to finance one ranking run, which makes it enough of a grindfest in my eyes. However, as I've already shown, it's not unthinkable to manage a good ranking run without any boosts at all. But if you want to play the money game you'll always be one step behind the asking rate, trying to break even and scrounge up more coins for those drones.

9. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #709 SumoSplash, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    Yeah I was only teasing :), I've never played more than 30 minutes. I think my high score has been around 7.5-8 million before my fingers gave out.

This is a moot point since you aren't altering the electricity melee attack for the Shogun, but I wanted to point something out. If you look at the Trinity and the 'blade' attack that comes out of the front of the ship, the distance at which this weapon strikes the enemy vessels is a good example of the distance I wanted the electricity to come to (so you could use the electricity AND graze simultaneously). This is similar to how you can get close to an enemy with the Trinity and use this blade attack and the other weapons it fires simultaneously. Moot point like I said, but I hope that makes more sense.

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    That Trinity weapon is actually a ranged cannon, the effect is split in two parts across the blade like element visible in front of the ship and the impact visible at the point it hits an enemy.

11. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I haven't played this in the last few months, downloaded the update without checking. (Though would have anyhow.) Very disappointing to see consumable IAP. A game that once had a rock solid permanent place on all my devices is now...less so entrenched. Still a great, great game. Which makes it a shame all the more. I've read through the last few pages of this thread: would like to urge some folks to not confuse issues. A game shouldn't get a pass for something others are condemned for...just because it's "good." There's no justification for allowing people to buy leaderboard advantage. Period. This is still the same great game it once was - minus its integrity. And that of its developers, in my book.

12. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I see where you're going with this. You need multiple rounds of no upgrades just to build up enough coins to spend it on as many upgrades as possible just to have one run that counts, one run that is as maxed out as possible. I think I'm on the same page as you in that I would rather see all of these upgrades available through drops within the gameplay itself.

13. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #713 SumoSplash, Sep 20, 2012
    Well said Gabrien, although buying leaderboard advantage is only part of it for me. I just prefer doing my upgrades within the game itself instead of altering my destiny before I even play.

14. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    You haven't played it in the last few months. That sums it up. For me, they made the game interesting again. And you don't have to spend ANYTHING at all. You even don't have to grind. The game got better in my book, a ton better. But delete it, since you haven't played it for ages anyway ;)

15. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    You don't have to spend money and you don't HAVE to grind, if you're not interested in leaderboards... you know, the thing that's a major selling point for shmups and this shmup in particular. The game immediately tells you after every run just where you stand in the rankings in your local area. They have even made the leaderboards free and added the medal targets to fuel the fire. Whenever I set a good score I immediately think, I could have gotten at least a few million more if I had ponied up for all the boosts. And the perfect boosted run requires at least 6k coins. Plus, unless you're REALLY good, that perfect boosted run will only net you around 3-4k coins, leaving you poorer by 2-3k coins. That's if you have a good run, a bad run means all those coins go down the drain.

I like these guys, I really do, so I'm not being nearly as critical or caustic as I would be for any other game. I want them to do well and maybe with the current environment in the App Store this is the only way for them to move forward to bigger things, possibly/hopefully a new full scale shmup. I'm going to step away from the thread for at least today, if not a few days, so I don't needlessly poison the new update any further for newcomers with rhetoric spam.

Question about the medals, how am I supposed to get new ones? I have the highest score in my city, province and country but I only have a gold medal to show for it.

16. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    The medals are awarded based on your ranking compared to other players.
    -let this sink in for a second-
    The more players there are in an area, the more medals we can award. So you get a medal when you are better than X players. The higher X is, the higher the medal.

17. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I don't give them a pass because they made a good game. I give them a pass because they made a good game years ago, have updated and supported it continuously, and I've gotten way more than my money's worth out of it. Yes, I agree the consumable IAP, pay to score changes are a bad thing for this great game. I've called this the best iOS original shooter for as long as I can remember, and I'm sad to see it go truly freemium (in the bad sense, not the pay to unlock features and content sense). I agree with sapphire_neo regarding the effects of this change, scoring runs and grinding runs, etc. I used to like to pull out Phoenix every time I was in a new town to try to tackle their leaderboard, now I won't be able to do that effectively without having enough coins. It's a shame because this update is otherwise magnificent. The game is, in most ways, better than it ever has been, and it has always been one of the best things on iOS, but in one important way it will never be as good as it was. Anyway, as I said, I've gotten too much enjoyment for too long and too cheap for me to get mad about them changing it now. If they want to take it in a different, less fun for me, direction, that's their prerogative. I'm gonna keep playing, but I'm also reinstalling the original Phoenix right now so I can remember the good old days ;)

18. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Didn't everyone get 10,000 coins free with the update?

19. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Nope, those were only awarded to people who purchased the Online Pass in the previous version. New players receive 1.000 coins.

20. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #720 SumoSplash, Sep 20, 2012
    Ahhhh, yes, OK... I was wondering about that. I wasn't quite following your description at first.

So you can have the Trinity up against the bottom of the screen and, even though there is nothing visible between the tips of the 'blades' and the very front of an enemy vessel, you can still see that the weapon is making contact. It's almost as if the second half of the weapon is invisible and then becomes visible after it has penetrated the enemy ship.

You know what else is interesting? When you look at this weapon while in slow motion, the blades originate from the Trinity in the same pattern every time (side by side, same distance apart), but when they are hitting an enemy ship the pattern of these blades change in that they stay tight and then widen out and then tighten again.

Brilliant :)