Galactic Keep by Gilded Skull Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gildedskull, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

#1 gildedskull, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
    ‘Galactic Keep: Dice Battles’ takes core elements of classic dice and paper role playing games (like dungeon crawling for loot and experience on paper maps, a ‘DM’ style of telling a story and rolling dice to create characters, move and to battle) and translates them into an iPhone experience.

[​IMG]

One of the key elements of this game will be the story: we want to create a variety of story ‘missions’ in the first offering that allow quite a bit of replay. To this end, the first five missions that will ship with the game will have many branching story paths that lead to at least multiple 'endings', various different unlockable playable characters, many weapons to equip and special attacks to collect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Each mission will offer players a different experience: one will have a lot of battles, loot, creatures, enemies and combat. Others will have more exploration, larger maps and a lot of conversation with NPCs. One mission, for example, is a murder mystery on an orbital trading post. Another is a stealth-raid of a reouge laboratory compound within a skyscraper-sized freighter that's sunk partway into a gaseous bog on an uncharted planetoid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We’re also working on bluetooth battles (to take your leveled-up characters and battle your friends) and downloadable content packs that will include new missions and unlockable playable characters (among other things). We'll post more details here and on our website over the next couple months.

We’re looking at submitting Galactic Keep in 2011. We’d like to heavily beta test this game and we’ll keep you posted as we begin!

Rob
    Gilded Skull Games

2. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Galactic Keep looks really interesting. The style seems very unique to me. I am looking forward to more info on it and can't wait for a video of the gameplay.

3. Rocker1

Rocker1 Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    galactic keep looks amazing!

4. gildedskull

#4 gildedskull, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    Thanks. I'm trying to make games that I'd want to play myself.

Galactic Keep is something that I'd like people to be able to dig their teeth into. We hope to start with something really good and build on it with updates and add-on content and mission packs over time. I'm really into having a lot of weird characters with interesting stories to tell.

The mood is supposed to tap into 'serial sci-fi' classics of the 60's and 70's in a somewhat gritty...but hopeful setting.

Artistically, I'm taking a low tech approach for a (sometimes) high-tech story (on a cutting edge platform). Rough, hand-hewn graphics are my specialty!

5. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    wow, i love the graphics style in Galactic Keep, that looks really nice

the game itself looks quirky and fun, will definitely be keeping an eye on this one

6. gildedskull

Here are some portraits of characters to be used in Galactic Keep. Some are supposed to become playable, some are enemies. I'd love to get your thoughts on favorites!

Just so you know, these are concepts. Characters may or may not appear in the final game at this point. We're hoping to have a pretty wide variety of enemies and playable characters these are just a few...

[​IMG]

7. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    #3 ftw for me

8. gildedskull

yep, #3 is a 'Gharsos', a gas race that collects items and integrates them into their 'cloud' to give them a more humanoid form. That one is supposed to have collected the skull of slain enemy and is using it as a 'head' of sorts. It fights with a sword.

9. Rocker1

Rocker1 Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    #12 looks awsome

10. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    Very interested in Galactic Keep...

Dice battles, does this indicate a level of randomness in the game? Or is it all prescripted?

Munkie!

11. gildedskull

Characters have base stats and players will roll to add to those stats (when first using a character). Maps are pre-rendered but the player will roll to move on them. Enemies/NPCs will have set AI and will move after the players turn is complete. Battles are rolled, but are effected by weapon modifiers. Characters will have special attacks to use that will mix combat up a bit.

The story will have multiple paths to take (depending on the missions). You will be able to replay previously played missions to find other things in the mission that you may not have seen in your first time through.

12. gildedskull

We're working on having 'quick battles' and being able to 'free roam' maps for items and experience...

13. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

galactic keep sounds like an awesome game. I cant wait for it to come out.

14. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    ...very cool

15. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    Galactic keep sounds an interesting concept,it looks like an improved gamebook.

16. gildedskull

I was a fan of 'The Warlock of Firetop Mountain' when I was a kid! Galactic Keep will have many things a gamebook could never have, but 'the gamebook' is part of the root of the idea. ;)

17. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I think I might actually have a copy of Warlock Of Firetop Mountain in my basement somewhere! I used to love those kind of books. I was really into the Lone Wolf ones as well.

18. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    Here in italy "lone wolf" is called "Lupo Solitario"..ah my wasted childhood...

19. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    Both of these look really good. I enjoy the art style, and am definitely looking forward to Galactic Keep.

20. gildedskull

A little info on character 12 from the character sheet. You'll notice that in the character sheet that #9 is similar to #12: nine is a robot made in the image of the species seen in #12. They are (at least this particular group) engineers, the species puts focus on mechanical and bio engineering. They consider themselves above the law and aren't at all afraid to experiment in using contraband compounds and technologies in their science.

We'll see about having one of these guys as an unlockable playable character!