Super Crate Box vs. Muffin Knight

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Neehan, Jan 6, 2012.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Super Crate Box

55.6%
  2. Muffin Knight

29.8%
  3. Both are equal

11.3%
  4. Both of them stink

3.3%
  1. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    #1 Neehan, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2012
    Well we know who came first, SCB was released for Windows in May 2010 and MK came out in Sep 2011, but which one do you like better. Don't vote unless you actually have both games (as if saying that will actually make a difference).

MK has benefited from over 4 months of life on the AppStore and has received frequent updates. MK has more levels, more weapons, more unlockables and online multiplayer. It also has IAPs which are not necessary but some people hate anyway. More weapons and the ability to upgrade them, combined with the added perks and heart upgrades makes MK a much more forgiving game.

SCB has just three levels right now, three game modes, and no mp as of yet. SCB is harder with wicked fast unforgiving gameplay. But man is it satisfying to beat your high scores!

Both have exceptionally high fun/addiction factors. Both have spot-on controls with MK being a little floatier and SCB being slightly faster.

2. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    The main thing I didn't like about MK was the floatyness , SCB feels smoother and more fun for me. Not that I didn't like MK, it was fun, just not better.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Hahah that is how I feel about SCB...the controls feel a lot less fluid, while MK feels smoother.

After hearing all of the hype about SCB, I was really disappointed by it. Muffin Knight has so much more in terms of unlockables, rewards, smoother gameplay, and much more appealing graphics/style. But that's just me.

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    The basic platforming in Muffin Knight feels perfect to me. Add to that a ton of content (albiet with a few annoying glitches) and you have an amazing game.

Super Crate Box doesn't feel quite fun to me yet.

5. Hero Killer Id

Hero Killer Id Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    I enjoyed both games equally. Each has it's own merit. MK has a lot more to offer but it seams to simplistic and quick to be over. Where as SCB had less polish on the levels and characters but was simply more difficult and more satisfying when you beat a score and unlocked a character or mode.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Voted for SCB. As to why, I will quote my post from the SCB thread:

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    For me it's SCB. Not just because it's the original game, but because it's more fast-paced, it has pixel graphics and the jumping is not as floaty as in MK. Both are excellent games and even though MK has more content, I still found SCB more addicting.

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's hard to say at this point because both seem like there will be substantial updates so they are a work in progress. SCB only has there stages (they will obviously add more) but Muffin Knight has added a capture the flag mode and multiplayer (with more coming soon). Right now based on mechanics alone I prefer Muffin Mnight. SCB has hit detection that feels slightly off leaning towards death by vague enemy radius and MK is more polished although SCB is amazing and has more frantic enemy pacing and stages that seem more strategic. In the end developer support and content updates cod swing this either way.

9. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    To be honest I'm sick to the back teeth of retro graphics, so given the choice between a very playable game with really, really dated graphics and one that is equally playable but has very good graphics there's no competition. Just my opinion.

10. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    SCB is pure fun! The fact that you die so much but keep coming back for the butt whoopin is proof of that. All of the added content in Muffin Knight didn't do anything for me. It was a dull, boring game that was skinned with, the ever popular, "Googly Eyes".

I wonder if MK would've gotten 5 million crates, or whatever, as fast as SCB did. There are a lot of googly eyed lovers on iOS so...

All in all, SCB beats MK when it comes to controls, gameplay, and overall action. Muffin Knight is like a sad puppy...but, ya know, in that cute googly eyed way.

Also, I love retro graphics...ya so what. :p Hell, most of them have more personality than the modern day graphics. Don't get me wrong modern day stuff is cool too (i.e. IB2, Lumi, Glowfish).

11. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    I don't think I've seen anyone defend a game so much as Goofy has.

;)

12. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #12 GoofyJmaster., Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    Lol...I laughed so hard when you I read that. I have been on the "defense" warpath this week. :eek: This, Bit-1, and Streetbike.

13. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    SCB is more fast-paced (like everyone else has said) and is definitely more fun IMO. I like the retro pixel graphics way more than MK's graphics.

14. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    SCB because unlike Muffin Knight it's hard as hell to get to 10.

15. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    lol that's the exact reason I voted for MK. It's hard, but not "whip your iPhone at the wall" hard. GoofyJ, you can't really be that much FOR one title and that much AGAINST the other, can you? They're so similar in nature!

16. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    More like MK is similar in nature to SCB.

17. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    SCB, because it's more popular. :rolleyes:

18. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    #18 cabdog, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    +1

I honestly don't see the appeal of retro graphics. Maybe its the 'older' crowd Who have been gaming for years, and like to relive High School glory days and are more comfortable with older styled graphics as it puts them in tune with those times and therefore they play best with retro style. Based on my comments, one might think i am a young buck noob; I'm actually quite old myself.

I have been a gamer for many many years, and I am bathing in the new art and game styles, as opposed to some that just want to stick with what they are used to or something along those lines. Im not saying I envision these gamers as only having retro games either.
    Technology is a constant; some people love going With the ever-changing game types, graphics etc., while others appeal to retro for whatever individualistic reasons.

19. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    For me, when you look past the fact that the goal in both games is the same, they are two completely different games. Both are awesome. I give full credit to Vlambeer for coming up with the awesome gameplay, but Angry Mob deserves credit as well for getting it on iOS and making it fun in their own way. I can't say one is better than the other because the each game's gameplay feels entirely different from the other. Fast paced 'rage-collecting' in SCB compared to character-upgrades and leveling up in MK. I love both games.

20. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Sorry, did I say it the other way around or something, or are you just pointing out that SCB came out first? Yes thank you, I'm aware of that. Problem is I think many of the votes here are based largely on that alone. I admit I was tempted to vote for SCB solely on the fact that it came first and deserves much of MK's credit. The fact that MK is even hanging in there in this poll speaks to what a quality game it is, despite it being a very blatant copy-job. People don't take kindly to copycats around here (me included), but I have to give credit where credit is due in terms of creating a quality game, and MK is most certainly a quality title.