Apple Representative - Do you have one?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by David Phan, Jun 4, 2012.

1. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    As a new developer to the iOS marketplace, I was recently quite surprised to learn that developers can actually acquire and establish a relationship with an Apple Representative for the long haul. I found this out when reading up on an answer provided in Quora on how start-up mobile game teams deal with marketing and user acquisition. The responder, William D.Volk mentioned in his write-up that his team has a relationship with an Apple representative which can help them with opportunities such as "New and Noteworthy". He did clearly state that this relationship was difficult to establish.

Anyways, here's the link: http://www.quora.com/iOS-App-Store/Given-that-Freemium-is-now-the-mobile-gaming-standard-how-does-a-start-up-game-studio-achieve-success-when-user-acquisition-costs-are-so-high-and-conversion-rates-so-low-without-turning-to-a-publisher-and-losing-control-over-your-game

So do any you devs out there have an Apple Rep in your corner? If so, what type of impact has that had on things like submissions or marketing? How did you establish your relationship with your Apple Rep?

Thanks,
    DP

2. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    I guess visiting the WWDC is a good place to start something like this. Unfortunately I live in Europe and can't afford to take off a week and visit San Francisco. Maybe in the future.

3. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    So how does one go about getting an app representative. It seems like every time I submit I get someone different, if I'm even allowed to know who is reviewing my game. Thoughts?

4. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

I have 7 in 10 games in New & Noteworthy in 2011 without any relation to Apple, so I think an Apple relation is not a condition of New & Noteworthy at all.

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    But how many app of the weeks / editor's picks did you get ;)

6. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

It's quite a different story, I personally don't think that a relation with Apple will be a major condition for this case too as some indie games can be contacted by them if the content is good enough. However I do know that big name like Gameloft, Open Feint... always have a strong relation with Apple on the way, but they're not allowed to spread the contact out...

7. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Well the guys of world of good decided when they were featured by Apple...
    So the relation with Apple can go that far.

They choose a week near Christmas...
    Of course their game was great and was already a hit in other platform.

8. jDun1212

Feb 2, 2012
    Antony! How in the world did you get 7 different apps into new and noteworthy?? That's insane.

9. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    PikPok has an Apple representative. In fact, we have multiple reps and contacts with slightly different roles. Fair to say those internal advocates have had a positive influence on getting our games featured and on occasion smoothing the submission process.

They approached us first to establish a better relationship recognising we have built quality games and a sizable and successful portfolio. Keeping them up to date with our progress and plans, responding to whatever requests they have had promptly, and taking any possible opportunity to meet in person has helped nurture this relationship.

Something to bear in mind is that nobody you talk to at Apple directly has the final say on what is featured and what is not. They keep that group in a black box. Having a rep that can promote and recommend your game to that group is still very valuable of course.

10. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver

Thanks PikPok Team for confirming the Quora post and providing additional clarification on the nature of the relationship with Apple and how they operate. Their (Apple) level of direct communication with developers often feels clandestine so it's good to get any type of info on their inner workings.

Regards,
    DP

11. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Yes, at least in the greater china region. we have contacts. It doesn't affect their decision, but still it's good to know that they know us.

12. jDun1212

Feb 2, 2012
    So this might be an obvious question, but how would you suggest that those of use with out reps get into a working relationship with one? I only have 2 games out on the AppStore, and will be doing more. Is there a form of contact or a method that works the best?

13. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    The number of people working on the games side of the App Store is actually pretty small (way smaller than you would think), so it is even hard for us to maintain an already established relationship at times. Those guys are slammed given the number of games releasing daily. There is unfortunately no magic email address you can ping to get the ball rolling.

The best bet to get on their radar is to make great games that get good reviews and support them over time with new features that Apple introduces to the OS and hardware. Beyond that, you should consider attending Apple developer events, GDC, whatever to try and meet them face to face at networking events or talks.