What are your views on the Samsung Note III?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by metalcasket, Sep 28, 2013.

1. #1 Connector, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    I am seriously thinking of getting a note 3 over an iphone 5s this cycle, pretty disappointed that there isn't an iphone 6 with a 5 inch screen.

A chillingo developer was just showing me his note 2, and recommending it over an iphone 5s. Just might bite.

The ipad 5 though looks sexy with apple joystick support, so will probably get one of those too.

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've my eye on the Note 3 as well I really like Samsung phones as the Micro SD is important to me and I like having all my media in my pocket.

I think the Note 3 will be a serious powerhouse have good battery and a good screen, I just want to see it in person before I make up my mind but it's definitely the favourite for my next phone.

3. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    It's nice, my brother owns a Note 2... So this phone must be even better.

4. Gotta love the size of the screen, sd card support, and real stylus.

Anyone know much about the Samsung S5 rumoured to be coming out in April 2014? Would anyone recommend it over the Note 3?

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    He only cares about it in relation to his own apps. The terrible quality of everything else on the Android store is a separate issue to him, but to the informed consumer... it sucks.

Also, screw large screens. We have tablets, I just want a freakin' phone that I can take with me.

6. It was interesting that the Chillingo dev showed me his game on a note 2, not an iphone 5 (he had both on him).

He was raving how awesome the Note 2 was, and how much better it was than the iphone.

But you are right, for gaming, ios is better, that is why I will get an ipad 5, but for my phone, I use it mainly for web surfing since I am rarely at home.

So for that size of screen is important to me.

Also, my main gripe about even my 64 gb ipad 3, has always been disk space, it would be awesome to download videos an stuff to sd cards and use your phablet as a video viewing machine.

Plus the stylus intrigues me.

Plus, since I carry my ipad with me 90% of the time, it would be kinda cool to have the best of both worlds, an android phablet and a ipad 5.

I was really hoping for an iphone 6 with a 5 inch screen. I would have gotten that, but now it is a tough choice.

7. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    freaking this.

8. SlightReturn

SlightReturn Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    I feel the same way. 4" screen is perfect. Heck, I loved the 3.5" screen on the 4s. I don't have any desire to get anything bigger for my phone.

9. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I jumped ship last year and picked up a Note II. While my iPhone 4 was undeniably a great piece of hardware, I had a few complaints about it - the #1 being screen size. Bumping up to 4" by making the screen taller does not help when viewing web pages as I always turn the thing sideways. If apple was going to keep me as a customer, they'd have to make a significant improvement in screen size. They failed.

One initial drawback was the clear superiority of the Apple ecosystem as per apps. However in the last year that's closed quite a bit. While Android does not quite have the selection of some of the particular apps I like (Astronomy oriented applications) it has enough for me to do what I need. There are some consolations tho - I've discovered several gems that just aren't available on iOS (Pixel Dungeon and Delver are absolutely AWESOME games, and I really wish there was an equivalent to Reddit is Fun for iOS. Plus some of that google integration is cool as hell).

As per the Galaxy Note II itself - Best phone I've ever had, hands down. I was worried it'd be to large - nope. Took me a couple of days to get used to it, but now it seems normal. I've tried going back to my iPhone on occasion (when I want to use a backup for fear of destroying it) but that screen is so incredibly cramped I give it up pretty quickly. I imagine I'll be looking at the Note IV when I'm due for an upgrade next year. I still have my iPad, and plan on upgrading to a new one probably next spring, so I kind of have the best of both worlds.

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I've been thinking of jumping ship next upgrade, but for a tablet.

11. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    It's undeniable that android is pulling far ahead of Apple tech wise. I still love Apple, but it's always the same :/ The thing that will always keep me on iOS is the gaming, which I feel is much better (or at least the selection of games)

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've been thinking of jumping ship mostly due to the huge wealth of emulators on Android.

But like you say #1 to me is gaming and i feel iOS is better for gaming. Plus if i did 'switch' i would want all my apps i currently have on Android so that would be quite expensive to buy all of those !

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #13 metalcasket, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    Just so you know, this thread was originally created by some sort of spambot (or whatever), but since there's a legitimate discussion going on here...hey, why not. :p

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Did you expect anything more of the 5s? I wasn't hyped in the slightest after the 3GS and 4s, they essentially just act as place-holders while Apple spends time working on a real upgrade. I've got a feeling they'll try to step up their game with iPhone 6.

15. Yeah, hopefully a bigger screen will come, doubt an sd card, which would be useful to be able to store mass movies, photos, music, etc.

16. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Androids are garbage. Ive had an iPhone since the original model and got tired of it in August. I picked up a Samsung galaxy 4. Still kept my 4s through the transition paying 2 phone bills. I was tired of the same look of iPhone devices and wanted a change of scenery despite being a super early jailbreaker and summer/winter boarder.

I gave the galaxy 3 months of love and at the end of the day I traded it back in, got a 5s and wasted a ton of money. But it was all worth it for peace of mind. It's like trading up your awesome gf for a new piece of ass but then realizing the new chick is just cheap plastic and doesn't feel right in your hand. At least the iPhone took me back.

It's nice having tons of features... Like the first day. The remote took longer to setup than I ever used it for, the widgets constantly needed to be refreshed and gave the impression of lag, the scrolling and responsiveness is not in the same league. It feels cheap in you hand, you can't pick it up without accidentally opening some bs app or widget positioned on the side and it's too clunky and cheap feeling.

Shit on the 5s if you must but once you get used to the fingerprint scanner there is no going back. And if you have any friends at all the slo mo camera is almost worth the upgrade itself. So much fkn fun

17. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    The thing is, emulating android is easy... And perfect. Great screen, no waiting for a jailbreak... Just root it. But... If you do get to jailbreak your iPhone/iPad, emulation is way better on iOS in-terms of compatibility/stability and developing. Ask any Dev who builds emus for both android & iOS, and you you'll get an answer that iOS is a breeze to work with. Not only for emulators... But also for actual iOS apps in the AppStore.

I just wish apple gave us root access for iPhones & iPads. They do allow root for there macs, so why not there smartphones & tablets? Maybe they will in the future... But security is a priority for Apple.. Smh

18. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    You don't need to root an Android to emulate. Maybe there are more options or benefits I'm not aware of but I just bought the apps from the Play Store.

I don't even jailbreak anymore... It was fun for a time but it got to be too much of a pain. For me emulation was a cool novelty but I never really even played the games that much. Think I got about 1/3 of the way through FF VII and 1/2 through FF IV but the games on ios have come a long way since I've last jailbroken a device and half the games I emulated have native versions now (Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, early FF's)

I still actually have a working SNES, NES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, GB Advance, etc. have a backwards compatible PS3 that I can load in my PS1/2 discs and play away. Even have a bunch of old saves from the 90's loaded on the PS3 lol. So all the games I was emulating I can play the originals. These days I don't even really play games on my phone, I play some on my iPad, but mostly just PS3.

Talking all this smack about Android, when I got the Galaxy S4 I also picked up a Samsung 10.1 with it as well. When I took the Galaxy back the trade in value for the 10.1 was crap so I still have it.. Debating whether to sell it or not. Never rooted it but I got a Playstation emulator and put FF 7-9 on it, again for novelty/nostalgia but I haven't even touched them. For me emulation is still mainly novelty but if people enjoy emulation than power to them. I realized that after the inital nostalgia I'm just not inclined to play through entire games I've already beaten years ago, in some instances multiple times.

Also just saw this today: http://toucharcade.com/2013/11/05/install-super-nintendo-gameboy-advance-and-other-emulators-without-jailbreaking-again/

But I'm not going to be bothering with it.

19. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Samsungs future I can't wait personally

20. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Not bad.... But Apple will do it better, I'm sure of it.