★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is TA somewhat dead?

02-03-2018, 10:10 AM
TA is my go-to and source for all the games I have, since long before I actually signed up and started supporting it. I’m here almost daily, and intend to be even more active now.

I can get ‘supported posts’ and ads masquerading as articles anywhere. Here is real passion. I especially treasure the long-form pieces, the retrospectives and the articles aimed at encouraging game developers.

In the world of gaming, TA occupies a singular and irreplaceable place.
02-11-2018, 10:55 PM
Mobile gaming changed and TA did, too. This place was leaps and bounds more active back in 2012. (6 years ago...yikes!)

Obnoxious self promotion: My little site
Show me some love, eh? You might even find it a bit interesting
Hey, why not? Ask me your worst: http://ask.fm/JBRUU
02-12-2018, 12:08 PM
I've mostly switched back to consoles/handhelds. I rarely ever play games on my iPhone now. So I was mostly here for the PS4 and (now Switch) threads, but those are pretty dead now. I guess that's not surprising.
02-12-2018, 01:17 PM
The problem we've run into is that the drive for discovery in mobile has been significantly reduced as people settle into the few games they play that are run as a service. Back in 2010 when this forum was bustling, folks were HUNGRY for any kind of new game. Everything was paid, so there was a huge need for someone to "take one for the team" to see if the rest of the community needed to jump on downloading it or not.

In 2018, that hunger has been replaced by an all you can eat buffet of free mobile game content. You don't see the same amount of people dog piling in every thread for each new game anymore because even someone who is only casually interested in mobile gaming will have a folder full of games on their phone that they heard were good but haven't even launched once. That problem is only compounded if you actually follow the scene and hop on sales and other things.

What's really killing general interest mobile game communities (and this isn't limited to TA, but also the iOS Gaming subreddits, other forums with mobile gaming threads, etc) is that developers have gotten so unbelievably good at retaining players and making sure they never run out of things to do in their games. For example, if you downloaded Clash of Clans and got into it, that game has enough content in it to keep you busy for *years* and they update it on a cycle that's fast enough that you will literally never run out of things to do. If you want to talk about Clash of Clans, you can either do it in game or via the official channels Supercell provides.

These types of games are scientifically engineered to never give you the opportunity to be like, "I wonder if anyone is talking about this anywhere else," or "This is getting boring I wonder if there's anything else I can play," etc. Hell, I even get hit with this and playing new games is my job. The two free to play games I follow are Arena of Valor and Hearthstone, and both games have enough for me to do in them that I could delete every other game from my phone and still not get bored.

We're in the process of updating our forums to XenForo and doing what MacRumors does with their comments which are all run through the forums. From there, the plan is to use the forum login as the main way you interact with everything on TA which hopefully will generate more interest in threads here since people will already be signed up and logged in to deal with things like their wishlist and commenting.
02-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
The problem we've run into is that the drive for discovery in mobile has been significantly reduced as people settle into the few games they play that are run as a service. Back in 2010 when this forum was bustling, folks were HUNGRY for any kind of new game. Everything was paid, so there was a huge need for someone to "take one for the team" to see if the rest of the community needed to jump on downloading it or not.

In 2018, that hunger has been replaced by an all you can eat buffet of free mobile game content. You don't see the same amount of people dog piling in every thread for each new game anymore because even someone who is only casually interested in mobile gaming will have a folder full of games on their phone that they heard were good but haven't even launched once. That problem is only compounded if you actually follow the scene and hop on sales and other things.

What's really killing general interest mobile game communities (and this isn't limited to TA, but also the iOS Gaming subreddits, other forums with mobile gaming threads, etc) is that developers have gotten so unbelievably good at retaining players and making sure they never run out of things to do in their games. For example, if you downloaded Clash of Clans and got into it, that game has enough content in it to keep you busy for *years* and they update it on a cycle that's fast enough that you will literally never run out of things to do. If you want to talk about Clash of Clans, you can either do it in game or via the official channels Supercell provides.

These types of games are scientifically engineered to never give you the opportunity to be like, "I wonder if anyone is talking about this anywhere else," or "This is getting boring I wonder if there's anything else I can play," etc. Hell, I even get hit with this and playing new games is my job. The two free to play games I follow are Arena of Valor and Hearthstone, and both games have enough for me to do in them that I could delete every other game from my phone and still not get bored.

We're in the process of updating our forums to XenForo and doing what MacRumors does with their comments which are all run through the forums. From there, the plan is to use the forum login as the main way you interact with everything on TA which hopefully will generate more interest in threads here since people will already be signed up and logged in to deal with things like their wishlist and commenting.
That makes a lot of sense. At the same time, there seems to be anothe tier of games emerging: multiplatform paid releases like Dandara, Inside, Gorogoa, Morphite, and Jydge (to name a few). These games are benefitting from pre-order buzz and seem to be generating a fair amount of discussion in the forums. And, of course, there’s also crazy releases like FF15 that are getting tons of attention.

I wonder if there’s a way to highlight these games in the forums — maybe even a monthly round-up.