iPhone Veggie Samurai HD from QuantumSquid

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by QuantumSquid, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuantumSquid

QuantumSquid Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    USA
    You have instilled fear in the hearts of fruit everywhere...

Now it's time to give the veggies what they have had coming for years...

[​IMG]

ALL IN SPECTACULAR HD!!

Feel the power at your finger tips! Put your swordsman skills to the test as you use your fingers to slice AND dice veggies of all shapes and sizes in all-out veggie carnage.

• 2 distinct game modes
    • 8 different veggies + bonus veggie surprises
    • Watch your score skyrocket as you perform Slice Combos, Multi-Dice Combos, and Dice Chains
    • Open Feint Leaderboards
    • 32 Achievements and counting...

Also coming for iPhone & iPod Touch!

[​IMG]

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ahem, that looks familiar...

3. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Agreed but it looks damn nice. And veggies have had it coming for years.

4. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Where are the fruits? :rolleyes:

5. Old Number 7

Old Number 7 Member

Jun 4, 2010
    This seems like it will do well on the ipad, but still ripoff...

6. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    lol so this isn't by halfbrick? looks damn good though, can't wait to buy it!

7. Cifuang

Cifuang Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    It's definitely a big rip off, everyone knows broccoli doesn't splash juice on the wall when sliced... Most veggies slice clean through and the "juice" looks VERY familiar.

8. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    It's not pretending to be anything but a ripoff - it even jokes about slicing fruit in the trailer. I can't imagine this will duplicate Fruit Ninja's success, but from a pure technical perspective, it's more impressive than Fruit Ninja. The veggies are getting sliced and diced in the direction they've actually been cut... and with simultaneous slices too.

9. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    No iPhone/iTouch support??

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It says it's coming to all three devices. It may not be universal but it's coming to iphone/ipod touch.

(there is a separate thread in the upcoming iphone games section)

11. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010

Thanks, didn't notice it.

I'm kind of torn; it's bittersweet. An idea being blatantly ripped off and used here, but at the same time, Fruit Ninja devotees will definitely jump on this one.

It would have felt more 'redeeming' if this was an actual sequel released by HalfBrickPhil and his team but, seeing somebody ELSE take the concept and improve on it kind of leaves a bitter taste in my mouth for some reason; Fruit Ninja being one of my favorite games.

C'est la vie....

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm completely fine with it. There is nothing wrong with it and they can still coexist.

Remember when Harbor Master was first announced? Tons of trash talk about how it's a rip off of Flight Control.

But they both bring different things to the table and both still sell extremely well.

Clearly this was the dev playing Fruit Ninja and seeing things that could be improved upon and taking the initiative to make that new game happen. I like the fact they are embracing how similar they are to Fruit Ninja.

just my 2 cents though

13. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Looks very slick:)

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Such a blatant rip-off but if you can make a more interesting scoring/combo system I'm willing to try it out.

15. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    How is it a ripoff.. Change two words add a feature here and there, new game! :p

16. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

but the thing is, they were still different games- the differences were big enough to feel like different games. think zombieville and inkvaders

but this? theyre basically taking what halfbrick promised in updates and making a game out of it!

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    When they first came out the only difference was Harbor Master had boats that you dock and made leave the screen and Flight Control had planes that disappeared when they landed.

The differences didn't come until later updates. Another example is Harbor Master and Harbor Havoc 3D. Last time I checked emulation was a form of flattery. There's really no reason to bash a dev until a game is released and they show what they've brought to the table.

I've also done a bunch of searches on the forum and don't see any official word that multiple cuts are coming to Fruit Ninja (not to mention that they were going to rework the game engine just to do that). Was that in the Fruit Ninja thread or elsewhere?

18. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Very smart, actually. Mean... but smart.

19. sidewinder12s

sidewinder12s Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Student
    USA
    As long as its different!

20. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    A few weeks before Fruit Ninja debuted and developed a big following, there was a game (already out) called Finger Slice, where the developers were discussing changing their theme to be about slicing fruit rather than slicing abstract shapes. There were some sweet looking mockups posted. Fruit Ninja game out and beat them to the punch. It's not like Fruit Ninja copied the Finger Slice idea - those two games surely had overlapping development cycles.

No one has here has played this new game yet, so it's too early to say whether Veggie Samurai feels like a different game. Judging from their gameplay video, it looks like a massive improvement in every possible way. I wouldn't be surprised if this had been in development before Fruit Ninja debuted. The Fruit Ninja guys have already made over $200,000 on what is a very simple, well executed concept. I see no problem in someone else capitalizing on the Fruit Ninja craze in this way. For every Fruit Ninja, there are dozens of completely original games that don't take off at all, and judging from the current response, it looks like the Veggie Samurai developers made a smart move. What incentive is there for a developer to craft a completely original game, if a spinoff of an existing concept is more of a sure thing?

Look at it it another way... if this really is something whose development started after Fruit Ninja already came out, it's rather impressive. You have one group (Halfbrick) talking about updates they might do to their existing game... you have someone else starting from scratch and surpassing it.