Elite space game iOS Port in progress

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by UnknownGameDev, Sep 26, 2011.

1. UnknownGameDev

Sep 26, 2011
    Sweden
    #1 UnknownGameDev, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
    Hi,
    I've been working on an iOS clone of the classic space game Elite. I grew up playing Elite and have been waiting for a decent (and authentic) clone to show up on the iPhone but after years of checking and waiting I decided to just do it myself. I've looked at number of clones/remakes as a basis for the clone as well as studying the manual. Here's a screen shot:

[​IMG]

I'm not a game developer by profession and a bit unsure how to progress with this, so I just wanted to see if anyone else out there is interested in playing this?

Happy to answer any questions.. If I mistakenly posted this in the wrong forum I apologize before hand (I did not see anything in rules against showing a game in progress here)..

--UnknownGameDev

2. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
  3. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    About time somebody did this! As one of my all-time favorites and inspirations for our own upcoming game, I'd love to see this in the store. I clocked many hours on the C64 version of Elite.

Also, I tried the DOS version on the iDOS emulator for iOS, but the keyboard controls were a bit clunky which made getting into the game difficult. Hopefully you can update it for iOS and add some touch/swipe controls to the mix.

I wonder about the legal state of the code/art/sound and if you can re-use it in a commercial product. Supposedly, David Braben, one of the original developers has said he's going to make Elite 4 for multiple platforms, so hopefully he's not the litigious type (though history might say otherwise).

4. UnknownGameDev

Sep 26, 2011
    Sweden
    Hi swiftest,

Yeah, I'm aware of Braben's stance on Elite clones. Bell released his part of the source code so the universe generation and planet descriptions are readily available. The "arcade" portion of the game is rewritten from scratch to be true to the original but obviously the controls are optimized for touch. Releasing the game under another name than Elite will be required to solve some of the copyright problems. The rest of the materials such as sound and graphics are not really an issue: the graphics is really minimal, and the objects are made up out of a few points and polygons. The ranking system and ship names might be needed to change for the release version.

--UnknownGameDev

5. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Just to be safe, I'd suggest using different names for the ships. Otherwise, it sounds like you have your bases covered, so keep us posted on the development and release date.

What control methods are you making available? Also, any additional features like missions?

6. Doches

Doches Active Member

I think Blizzard said it best a few years ago: hell, it's about time.

I'd absolutely love to play this when it's ready. Hell, I'd love to play this before it's ready -- hit me up if you wanted some testing and early feedback. I've played more than my share of Elite-style games, and it's been a pretty significant influence in the kinds of games I develop.

7. UnknownGameDev

Sep 26, 2011
    Sweden
    As it works now the touching the screen anywhere gives you control over roll and pitch, double tapping and dragging up and down controls speed. All other controls (firing, missiles, ECM etc) are accessed by the on screen icons.

Simple missions are in there, but not tested yet. I'm still figuring out how to launch a beta test.
    --UnknownGameDev

8. UnknownGameDev

Sep 26, 2011
    Sweden
    Sure, when it goes into testing I'll let you know. I'm also considering teaming up with another dev to finish this off.

--UnknownGameDev

9. Doches

Doches Active Member

I cannot recommend TestFlight highly enough for running public betas. We're using it right now for Distant Star, and it's so much easier than gathering all the device info and generating .ipas by hand .

10. Hed Candy

Hed Candy Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I've heard lots about Elite but never actually played it! - I'd look forward to checking it out!:)

11. UnknownGameDev

Sep 26, 2011
    Sweden

Thanks for the tip, will check that out! Mostly just gameplay tweaking and finishing the graphics up though, I was thinking more about setting up a forum or a page for the beta testing..

--UnknownGameDev

12. UnknownGameDev

Sep 26, 2011
    Sweden
    I'd say the gameplay is still solid, albeit the pacing is a bit slow compared to modern games.. But that was one of the fun things about Elite back in the day, it took a minute or so to fly to another planet, while that happened you picked up a book or let your imagination flow..:)

13. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Bump to see where status is. I am still hoping for an elite 2 port though one day.

14. UnknownGameDev

Sep 26, 2011
    Sweden
    I'm still working on it..!

15. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    #15 ge0c31t, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
    Soo looking forward to this!
    cant tell you how much ive wanted an ios version.
    If you need any help gimme a shout,played bbc,spectrum,c64 versions back in the day :)
    -geocelt
    ps still have the dark wheel novella on my phone!

16. UnknownGameDev

Sep 26, 2011
    Sweden
    ge0c31t, good to hear..! People showing interest definitely helps..!

17. Skarn

Skarn Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Also looking forward to play this game. Never played elite before, I've heard so much about it but my eyes would burn while playing it in fullscreen. As an iOS game however, this would be huge.

18. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I bet this project would do quite well on Kickstarter..

19. UnknownGameDev

Sep 26, 2011
    Sweden
    Hi, just a quick update. I've been working quite a bit on this lately, and I can reveal one new major feature: Multiplayer! It will have game center support and 2-4 players in one match.

I pretty much had to rewrite all the code again to manage this, but it was probably worth it.

20. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    That is some good news about the game development progressing. I can't wait to try the multiplaye r mode. Thanks for the update.