My gaming resume after one month of absence.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheFrost, Jul 3, 2013.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Hello again! As most of you know Im been in time out for a month for mentioning a website - bad one, lesson learned), so back to gaming!

And now for the gaming part...

These are the games I bought:

Quadropus Rampage: Absolute brilliant endless game. I want more of these games: freemium done right, great sense of humor, addictive,... Only have good words about its gameplay, art and such things. Bought the doubler but it should be permanent, not consumable. But there its still time to make a permanent coin doubler + orb doubler pack for a couple of bucks, I would totally buy that.

LIMBO: The same experience on iPhone, and that means the exact same features that made it a masterpiece: Excellent controls, atmosphere, and learning curve. Same as with life: you learn from observation and from learning from mistakes. Stunning and marvelous. An indie gem.

1001 Attemps: I liked Leaping Legend so much that I also bought this one, and while the mechanics are almost the same I find this one a lot better: No IAP, faster gameplay, more addictive,... Having a blast.

CRUSH: Another Radiangames masterpiece. Awesome endless gameplay, hard as nails and incredibly rewarding, unlockable content, no IAP, will keep it forever.

Cling Thing: The colorful version of Tentacles with big replayability that never ceases to amaze me level after level making it the best Chillingo game of late (with permission from Dead Ahead).

Chubbins: One useful thing I discovered from SlideToPlay... Incredibly hard but at the same time incredibly good kind of platformer. My first world under 15 minutes and on the second one I cant get pass the first level. Still very good. Hardcore players only.

Some mistakes I made:

IceBreaker: I bought this for the solely purpose of helping development of Super Feed Me and hoping that sometime it finally arrives on iOS.
    As for the game, I thought that I could stand yet another physics puzzler (after the Little Luca and Bridgy Jones fiasco) but no, I was wrong. I despise it. Nitrome sure knows to make good games but I wonder what could have happened if this wasnt published by Rovio.

Little Luca: Hit and miss game, half of me likes it because it has amazing gameplay mechanics but the other half hates it, so much trial and error... You have to do it perfectly or you fail miserably. Skipping ahead made me see all it has to offer anyways. On the verge of being deleted.

Bridgy Jones: I liked it at the beginning but quickly grew old: repetitive, dull... In resume, not my kind of game at all. Deleted. Wont look back.

These 3 games made me loose my likeness for the "Physics-" genre. Wont buy any more games that starts with that. Never. Physics and Flinging games, both out.

Some iOS7 problems:

DOT Space Adventure: Not the games fault, its good, but on iOS7 doesnt control well, misses taps constantly and have to hit the home button and get back in to make it work. Will place it on hold for now. Will reinstall in the future.

League of Evil 3: Doesnt work well on iOS7, deleted until a patch comes up. But what I played was fantastic.

Tasty Tadpoles: Not compatible with iOS7 but it is good enough to make me persevered until I finish arcade mode, I will leave puzzle mode until the official iOS7 and a patch arrives.

Some other stuff:

Sea Conquest: Got a promo code for this one, its an endless runner with no IAP and all, its good but way too difficult and too grindy as items on the shop are way too overprices. Also unpolished as in lack of indicator for the shooting for example.

Despicable Me Minion Rush: The more time I played it the bigger grind it became. It was Gameloft in the end and it didn't surprised me. Got a few things going on for it but it didn't fool me one bit from the beginning. Fun for a very brief period of time. Deleted.

I finished these games:

Bastion: Amazing from beginning to end. One of those few games that sticks on your gaming heart forever only leaving good memories. Outstanding, amazing, stunning, addictive, awesome, lush,... You get the idea. Buy it.

NightSky: Not very long, only took me few hours to complete (exaggerating a bit), but what an amazing time I had with it. Incredibly clever and a great gaming experience overall, another amazing game that sticks to your heart never letting go. Buy it.

Scurvy Scallywags: A breath of fresh air for a dying genre. Enjoyed it but took longer than expected to finish... Way too long. All bosses should give you a Shanty Verse... Coin doubler gives you everything you will ever need. Now waiting for The Cave.

Miseria Worlds Apart: Half fun half frustrating but was well worth the trip. Didn't take long to complete though.

Cling!: Update didn't remove my progress but encouraged me to finish it. Its was a good trip but didn't log into GameCenter and didn't registered anything :/

And thats all I guess... Did I miss a really good game? Haven't looked at the threads at all and the forum itself except on wednesday nights, so I could have missed some.

Oh, and I been enjoying the hell out of Worm Run lately, it has become my best endless runner of all time. The more I play the worse I become, but some reason I love it and has me glued to it. Its fantastic. Play it at least once each day. So good.

And some other things:

I discovered the full potential of Twitter and I talk there from time to time, doing "140 character long" reviews, chatting with developers, suggesting them things and recommending worthy old and new games. You can follow me: @Matt__Frost if you like.

And the ban also gave me the time to find a job, LOVE, and much more outside of gaming, lots more... All for the better. No hard feelings just gratitude.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Welcome back. Twitter is awesome. There is life outside of the abyss that is Touch Arcade, congratulations on love (whatever that is, says the married guy... haha).

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Haha! Welcome back Frost!

Reading through your list, you have to buy and play Spiral man!

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Kinetic damage is a great fighter if thats your thing.

5. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I used to be a twitter fanatic, that's where I signed up to beta test my first game (Questlord, I think?). I talked to a lot of devs and shiz. Might have to go back some day.

6. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Welcome back cool gamer Frost
    "And the ban also gave me the time to find a job, LOVE, and much more outside of gaming, lots more... All for the better. No hard feelings just gratitude."

Iz tht y ur so #. ? Do u think about Maximus?

7. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #7 TheFrost, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    Thank you all. <3 For some reason it doesn't let me quote it all so...

Yes I like Twitter but I look at it really often so I think it may becoming to much of an obsession now, must resist it :p

I think see is everything I ever wanted but lets see about that marriage thing you talk about...

I saw Spiral and Kinetic Damage but its not my kind of games at all, prefer endless runners, platformers or unique endless games. And dont like episodic gamer either. When the full thing arrives lets talk again. :p

I will download Maximus its free so no harm there, thanks for the suggestion, keep em coming... :)

Thanks again for the welcoming back, much appreciated!

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Now that you've mentioned that, try Attack of the Spooklings. It has a full free version with ads to try, and a premium version if you like it. It's got good controls, nice retro looks, and really good arcade mayhem pacing.

Contra Evolution was updated, and it's surprisingly playable now. Controls have improved, so you might want to check that out too.

Dark Nebula HD is a re-release, but with more levels, and visual improvements. It's tilt-based (which is the reason it didnt stay long on my device), but i can safely say it controls well enough to be playable. If tilt doesnt bother you, it's a good pickup. It's a sort of a speedrun game, but more labyrinthine than the usual platformers.

9. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    And here comes the frost,so winter is coming..Hehe ;)

Welcome back,man..
    Try incredible jack..It's a very good platformer..

10. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Wait you were in a time-out? Wow I really don't really pay attention :p

11. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Welcome back Frost :D . How is Bellyfish?

12. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep, Attack of the Spooklings for bursts of arcade mentallness. Was wondering where TheFrost and that Connector chap had got to.

13. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #13 TheFrost, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    Yep, both Connector and me got banned for doing stupid things, but Connector sentence is bigger and although he annoys me sometimes I hope he comes back

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will check them all: Incredible Jack, Attack of the Spooklings and Dark Nebula HD got my interest above the rest, keep em comin'

Bellyfish is a very good endless runner: its tilt only but you can play in any position due to the auto-calibration it has that work wonderful, plus tapping with two fingers in mid game you can recalibrate to a new position so I could place it next to Tilt to Live (well, second Place). It has fun powerups (shooting, being a ghost, eating chilli), you "eat" oxygen bubbles along the way so you can survive getting hit, it has interesting enemy patterns and a lot of coins (the secret is that it gives you 500 coins each time you tweet and that helps a lot getting upgrades 1000, 5000 and 15000 in cost each) so its my new Twitter client. There are also a lot of missions, achievements, leaderboards and a lot more. I dont like that it has revives.
    I really like Bellyfish if you enjoy endless runners (swimmers) for a buck you cant go wrong here.

Thanks again you welcoming me back, thanks! :)

14. Pixel_Gamer

Pixel_Gamer Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Hi Frost, Icebreaker had been on my wish list for a while. Could you elaborate more as to why it's a mistaken purchase? I see many glowing reviews on the thread.

15. I somehow missed this thread :|

Welcome back Frost :)

16. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep - agreed good to see TheFrost back and I hope to see Connector back at some point too. I thought you were just on holiday or something. Together, obviously.

17. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    #17 Nobunaga, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    Welcome back.
    You need to get better (not worse) at Worm Run. On the forums you were the only person that stayed in the top 25 for a decent amount of time.
    I don't think I'm in it anymore. I blame hackers. :0
    Anyone else that hasn't tried it should to. One of my favourite iOS games.

Edit: I'm in the 300's now. Top 20 or more are definitely not realistic scores.
    Trying a combination of fully upgraded bombs and skunk juice with the frequency upgrade turned off.
    Seems like a good combo.

18. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks for the encouragment, as you say the top 25 now is plagued with hackers and its unrealistic scores, I will try now a few games with that combo of Bombs + Skunk juice and see what happens :) Inreally like Worm Run and will encourage anyone to get it, endless running at its best (if you can get past the initially strange control method), and I agree on that is one of iOS best games to date

As for Icebreaker, if you can handle more physics puzzlers go ahead and get it, it has a story, its long with a lot of replayability and lots more, Nitrome sure knows how to do good games thats for sure, but for me I am burned on te trial and error formula and being in the hands of the physics engine, so many time I have done it correctly but due to the slighest mistake I had to repeat the level because the viking fell an inch short of the box to made it fall to the correct side, for example. Im done with that. But if you can do, you will find a good game.

Thanks again guys, means a lot :)

19. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I totally missed this thread.
    Welcome back Frost :)

20. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks! By the way, how is the IAP on Fatty? Looks good :D