iPhone Uplink (Hacking game by Introversion Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jun 7, 2012.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

This game is a mix of great and terrible. The text is so both small and jagged, I find spending 90% of my energy trying to read it. And there is no sturdy tap zone around things, many times I've clicked on the wrong thing just slightly (map, I'm looking at you!!), and have to break my flow to close it.

And the fact that it's incredibly simple to delete vital game data that completely stops the gameplay, there's no confirmation.

But the deal breaker is the text, that's where it's going to cause major problems and kill my ability to enjoy the game.

2. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    I was just coming back to mention the tap zones, too. I'm finding the game really fiddly in places. I often end up choosing the wrong cracker/security/etc programme from the list, which is frustrating when I'm rushing to beat a trace, and I mis-tap when trying to dial in for new missions.

The layout mimics the PC version very closely, as far as I remember. I think it could be improved by re-structuring a little to take into account that playing with your fingers is less precise than playing with a mouse.

There's also some other little niggles, like the mail not staying open when you go to the map and back, and especially, the mail not keeping its scroll place. I can't remember if the PC version did that or not, but it's annoying when you have to scroll down for the fifth time to get a bank account number in exactly the right place, because if it's not in the top two lines of the email window, you can't read it once the on-screen keyboard pops up.

So far, I would say this is a solid port that could've done with a bit more iPad-specific playtesting.

Cheers.

3. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Okay I just started on this, am on confident level. So far I don't see a story line. I heard that there is one but is it pc only or have I not reach it yet? Right now I am basically choosing whatever mission available and just completing them.

4. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    No problem with the touch zones here but i did on a first play delete data rather than copy and had to fail the mission... a few times, could use a better tutorial for fist time player like myself, but im slowly getting used to it and really enjoying it. great game highly recommended.

5. mateofalcone

mateofalcone Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    It's in there. You're doing the right thing...you'll notice something wrong down the road.

6. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Okay. Thanks for the reply. I hope whatever it is comes soon.

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The first story mission starts at a specific date in April. After that they will continue as you complete the story missions.

8. ZiggyTheBiot

ZiggyTheBiot New Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I've just downloaded it, and one thing I've noticed is that the servers on the map don't have a border indicating what kind of access you have (none, user, admin). Is that a bug, or have they removed that feature from the iPad version?

9. Thorwan

Thorwan Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2010
    I loved the original despite its flaws. The iPad version is really well executed, but some bugs made it into this release, too. I hope they'll get those fixed and implement iCloud support.

However, still an awesome game!

10. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Eh, that's why I bought it, played for 1 hour and never touched it again.

I loved the original but the text is too small on the iPad.

11. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Now that I seen it, I really want Defcon....

12. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I like this a lot but I really suck at it, I wish there was a way of backing up your saved game, that way I might get to play for more than 30 mins before my game is ended.

13. Thorwan

Thorwan Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2010
    #53 Thorwan, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    All of you who are having trouble with the text on iPad 1 & 2 should check this out:

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink/viewtopic.php?t=39433

Jailbreak is NOT needed, just use Phoneview, Touchcopy, iPhone explorer etc.

Works like a charm! Still hope for an update that fixes the font and the other little issues (i.e. broken .usr files, some unreadable text when the iPad keyboard pops up)

14. mondoz

mondoz Well-Known Member

May 31, 2012
    Price increase to 9 bucks?

Is this so they can have a huge % discount back to regular price?

15. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hmm strange:confused: I would have payed pretty much anything for this and it's one game that has never left my iPad. I played it years ago on pc and loved it so was very happy to see it on iPad.

16. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Enjoyed it on the Mac but heard it was hard to read on the iPad and didn't see a lot of support from introversion with only 3 updates.

Definitely not going to get it for $8.99 and shocked to see the last update being April 2013 stating bug for story line.... Is be pissed if I had bought the game and couldn't access the story line and it taking so long for introversion to fix the problem....

Not sure why this didn't take off on the iPad! Surprised... Would have thought this would have been a mega hit....

Possibly not having much support or people from introversion join the forum fmhurt this launch!

17. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I had actually forgot I had this, I spent all last night playing again seeing how long it would take me to upgrade to best hardware

18. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Is the interface in this game retina and does it support the native resolution of the iPad Air models? Thank you.

19. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Just saw on YouTube on the devs channel someone did a mod for this game that redid all the graphics for this game.
    So hopefully they'll update the iOS version with this graphic update it does look a lot better.

20. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    #60 senkoujin, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Now that would make me jizz in my pants, BUT we've been playing the original version for so long, and I fear that it would kind of lose some of that retro feeling if all the graphics got updated to HD quality. I'm not saying that I don't want to see it happen on iOS, I just hope that if they do implement it, they could give us the option to choose HD graphics in the settings. :)

For those unfamiliar with this game, just know that this is the definitive hacking game of them all! No other hacking game in the entire mobile ecosystem could compare to Uplink. It's totally worth the hefty price too; this game has been on my device(s) for years, you do the math. xD