VLC streamer [$1.99-Free for the first time] streams media from your PC

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by ronit, Jul 20, 2014.

1. ronit

ronit Well-Known Member

May 12, 2011
    Blogger
    US
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

Sit anywhere in your house and watch movies or TV shows on your iPhone, iPod or iPad. VLC Streamer streams movies from your computer to your iDevice. One of the best streaming app for media junkies.

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #2 nightc1, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    Didn't realize this or official VLC were on iOS. Downloading both. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit. Wait, reading the full description of this it looks like I need to have an app on my PC to access files. Dang. I was hoping this would just work like the android version of vlc as I have a media server appliance already. Guess ill still try this anyway and give official vlc a look.

3. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    I highly recommend https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avplayer/id395680819?mt=8

There used to be several good media player apps, but Dolby got lawsuit happy with the AC3 codec so many were faced with paying royalties, removing the most common audio stream capability, or removing their app. Goodplayer was the other really great one, but to date they're still missing AC3 support. AVplayer went down for a couple weeks, but came back and have supported it all this time.

In any case, I have a huge video library on a 3TB drive and this plays everything I've copied to my phone. I got into DLNA streaming too and it handles that well, though I've switched to Plex for that. They also support Dropbox and various methods of streaming video online.

4. JARVIS42

JARVIS42 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I agree with AVPlayer. It's the best video player I have tried so far.

5. LayneNchains

LayneNchains Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Thank you for this information. Greatly appreciated

6. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    AVPlayer/AVPlayerHD is the best video app. You don't need any of those converting or streaming tools on your computer. Be sure to make backups of your app. You never know when copyright hits and updates silently remove codecs.

7. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Interesting options. Thanks for the heads up. I gave regular official VLC a try and it works exactly the way I wanted it to just like the Android version on my tablet. So, until I come across something that doesn't work... I'll stick with it. Still, it's nice having options and I appreciate the feedback.

8. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    This was free for a day? Ridiculous.

9. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #9 jeffyg3, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    I just use Air Video HD. It streams my movies perfectly from my computer even when I'm in another location or when I travel out of town. Downloaded VLC Streamer when it was free for a couple of days, haven't tried it tho, not sure if it can do the same thing as my main streaming app where it can stream from my computer anywhere I go