Infinity Blade - by Epic Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #1 ImNoSuperMan, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
    Watch the live keynote :D

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1009qpeijrfn/event

here's the demo app..

Epic Citadel

Enter Epic Citadel, the dynamic fantasy setting of the award-winning Infinity Blade.

From the circus bazaar to …
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Enter Epic Citadel, the dynamic fantasy setting of the award-winning Infinity Blade.

From the circus bazaar to the sweeping cathedral in the center of town, Epic Citadel dazzles with a visual parade of special effects, as only imagined by Epic Games and powered by the critically acclaimed Unreal Engine 3.

Are you ready to explore the realm of the Epic Citadel and all the beautiful secrets it holds?

Epic Citadel was created using the same tools and technology used to develop high-end console games, now delivered for iOS devices!
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:
    Release:Sep 01, 2010
    Updated:Jan 29, 2013
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (9)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

TA Article : http://toucharcade.com/2010/09/01/unreal-engine-3-tech-demo-epic-citadel-available-for-free/

Here's the actual game demo:

==========================================================
    ==========================================================

Retina Screenshots
    (click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iPad Screenshots:
    (click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From Epic Games’ award-winning studio, ChAIR Entertainment, comes Infinity Blade, a new title developed exclusively for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.

Universal App - Play Infinity Blade on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPod Touch 3, or iPod Touch 4 for a single low price.

Optimized for iPhone 4 – Includes high-resolution graphics that fully utilize the Retina display on the iPhone 4.

**IGN: "A surefire Game of the Year contender. It just may be the best iPhone game of all time."
    **TouchGen: "This is the best game I've played on my iPhone. This is the game we've been waiting for!"
    **Slide: "A unique and enthralling experience from the start."
    **Ars Technica: "It’s one of the few games on the iPhone that if I were to get an e-mail tomorrow saying that it’s available, I would stop everything I was doing, find my iPhone and buy it."

For untold ages, the God King has ruled with an iron fist - his power is incalculable; his followers, legion. Now you must journey to the Dark Citadel to battle his Titans, one by one, until you face the tyrant himself. As it has been for all in your bloodline, this is your birthright - to free your people from an endless legacy of darkness. The immortal can be vanquished - but only if heart, mind, and steel are one.

The first mobile game powered by Epic’s cutting-edge Unreal Engine 3 technology, Infinity Blade takes handheld gaming to new heights with gorgeous visuals, adrenaline-fueled battles and advanced character progression in a fully 3D castle realm.

DYNAMIC SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN

Spectacular 3D characters and environments powered by the award-winning Unreal Engine 3 bring to life the story of a lone knight’s pursuit to save civilization.

RESPONSIVE AND INTUITIVE TOUCH CONTROLS

Attack, dodge, block, and cast devastating spells - all with the simple swipe of a finger.

SIMPLE NAVIGATION

Easy to use, tap-to-move controls enable players to effortlessly navigate and explore the castle realm while searching for collectable items such as treasure, swords, shields, armor and other magical objects.

DEEP CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION

Dozens of Swords, Shields, Helmets, Armor, and Magic Rings to acquire and master - leveling up your character and increasing Attack, Health, Shield and Magic skills.

GAME CENTER

Achievements and Leaderboards

COMING SOON!

New Areas to conquer! Multiplayer! New Swords, Shields, Helmets, Magic Rings, and Enemies!​

Infinity Blade

Epic Games
    Winner of the 2011 Apple Design Award, and more than 20 “Game of the Year” & “Top App” awards! Tons of NEW FREE CONTENT…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $5.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Winner of the 2011 Apple Design Award, and more than 20 “Game of the Year” & “Top App” awards! Tons of NEW FREE CONTENT available now! See below for more details. From Epic Games’ award-winning studio, ChAIR Entertainment, comes Infinity Blade, a new sword fighting action game developed exclusively for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Here’s what the press has to say about Infinity Blade: **JOYSTIQ: 5 out of 5 - "In terms of recreating a console-level experience on the iPhone, you simply will not do better than Infinity Blade" **GAMEPRO: 5 out of 5 - "The next generation of handheld gaming is here" **SLIDE TO PLAY: 4 out of 4 - "Any serious iOS gamer should grab this one up" **ENGADGET: 9 out of 10 - "Utterly delicious to look at" **IGN: 9 out of 10 - "Infinity Blade is easily one of the most defining iPhone games of 2010" **TOUCHARCADE: "It doesn't get much more 'must have' than this" **GIZMODO: "An iOS game like you've never seen before" The first mobile game powered by Epic’s cutting-edge Unreal Engine 3 technology, Infinity Blade takes handheld gaming to new heights with gorgeous visuals, adrenaline-fueled battles and advanced character progression in a fully 3D castle realm. INFINITY BLADE For untold ages, the God King has ruled with an iron fist - his power is incalculable; his followers, legion. Now you must journey to the Dark Citadel to battle his Titans, one by one, until you face the tyrant himself. As it has been for all in your bloodline, this is your birthright - to free your people from an endless legacy of darkness. The immortal can be vanquished - but only if heart, mind, and steel are one. DYNAMIC SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN Spectacular 3D characters and environments powered by the award-winning Unreal Engine 3 bring to life the story of a lone knight’s pursuit to save civilization. RESPONSIVE AND INTUITIVE TOUCH CONTROLS Attack, dodge, block, and cast devastating spells - all with the simple swipe of a finger. SIMPLE NAVIGATION Easy to use, tap-to-move controls enable players to effortlessly navigate and explore the castle realm while searching for collectable items such as treasure, swords, shields, armor and other magical objects. DEEP CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION Dozens of Swords, Shields, Helmets, Armor, and Magic Rings to acquire and master - leveling up your character and increasing Attack, Health, Shield and Magic skills. GAME CENTER Achievements and Leaderboards, challenge your friends to multiplayer matches online via Game Center! Universal App - Play Infinity Blade on iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4/4s, iPhone 5/5s/5c, iPhone 6/6+/6s/6s+, iPhone SE, iPhone 7/7+, iPhone 8/8+, iPad 1/2/3/4, iPad Air/Air 2, iPad Pro, iPad Mini/Mini 2/Mini 3/Mini 4, iPod Touch 3 (16GB or above), or iPod Touch 4/5/6 for a single low price. NOTES: - If you are experiencing technical issues with the App, please visit the Infinity Blade support page at: http://infinitybladegame.com/ - IMPORTANT: It is highly recommended that you upgrade your device to the latest iOS version. - PARENTS: you can turn off In-App purchasing in the iOS settings. Follow @Infinityblade on Twitter
    Information
    Seller:Epic Games
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Dec 09, 2010
    Updated:Oct 19, 2017
    Version:1.4.3
    Size:944.1 MB
    User Rating: (53)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Previous thread (Upcoming) : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=65911

A little request: Please try and not spam the thread. I'm keeping the upcoming thread for the game open till its out in US so if all you have to say is "ZOMG. I cant wait to play this" or "Point and click? No free roam??? EPIC FAIlz!!", then please use that thread.

2. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I could have made it but decided to let you do it!

They say it should be available this year :D

It will have GameCenter

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #3 arta, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  4. veecheech

veecheech Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Minnesota
    I just hope that works on the 1G... Haha I doubt it.

5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Best video I could find.

6. Akhilpo

Akhilpo Well-Known Member

Unreal engine works only on 3rd or higher gen... So you are kinda out of luck.

7. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yay. Finally they're using 3rd gens to full capability.

Gameloft - you need to man up, have a steak and produce games on a par or better than this. Its in your own interest.

8. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Now back to this, did they mention singleplayer for this game?

9. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    is it only for iphone 4 and ipod 4?

what about 3gs?

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  11. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Wow -- that is pretty incredible. Anyone try this out on a 3GS? I wonder how well it runs.

I will say though that a tech demo is a completely different beast then a real game. Even on my iphone4 the frame rate stutters sometimes in this demo, and yet there is no AI, pathing, only limited sfx, and there is no actual game logic in place, all of which tends to eat up a lot of CPU power.

But man... that is impressive.

12. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Epic Games Brings Unreal Engine 3 to iPad, iPhone and iPod touch

‘Epic Citadel,’ world’s First UE3-Powered iOS App, Now Available on App Store
    Cary, NC, September 01, 2010 — CARY, N.C. – September 1, 2010 – Epic Games, Inc. today announced its “Epic Citadel” App is now available from the App Store. The app showcases the technical capabilities of Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine 3 on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. In “Epic Citadel,” players navigate a fictional castle realm using simple controls and the innovative Multi-Touch user interface. “Epic Citadel” also features stunning visuals and special effects, with an environment inspired by “Project Sword,” Epic’s newest game.

“Project Sword” is the codename of the all-new action role-playing adventure game exclusively for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch developed by Epic’s critically acclaimed studio, Chair Entertainment, creators of the Xbox LIVE Arcade games of the year “Undertow” and “Shadow Complex.” Scheduled for release later this year, “Project Sword” will bring unrivaled visual fidelity and a highly accessible gameplay experience to the iOS platform.

“This is a testament to the sheer power of iOS devices as up until now, Unreal Engine 3 has typically been used to create high-end gaming experiences on game consoles and computers,” said Epic Games President Dr. Michael Capps. “And we’re not just keeping it to ourselves. We’re putting Unreal Engine 3 technology into the hands of game developers all over the world, and we can’t wait to see the apps they make next.”

A small team of Epic’s programmers, artists and testers created “Epic Citadel” in just eight weeks of development time. Unreal Engine 3 is scalable yet packed with the same tools hundreds of thousands of users work with to create games, simulations and animated content. Features include:

■Amazing visuals. “Epic Citadel” pushes the envelope for stunning visuals on iOS devices. Through the latest advances in Unreal Engine 3 technology, the application delivers unrivaled graphics and special effects that immerse players in the kingdom’s grounds.
    ■Bump offset mapping. Also known as parallax mapping or relief mapping, bump offset mapping enhances the visual appearance of stone walls and rocks providing intricate textures.
    ■Normal mapped architecture. Brings stunning detail to bricks and ground surfaces within the environment.
    ■Texture blending with painted weight maps. Refines nuances on roads and terrain, making them rich and lifelike.
    ■Global illumination. Unreal Engine 3’s built-in global illumination system, Unreal Lightmass, provides realistic lighting and shadows with minimal development resources.
    ■Dynamic specular lighting with texture masks. Helps create authentic cobblestone roads and vivid reflective marble surfaces, while lens flares and light coronas add dramatic emphasis when panning across light sources.
    ■Real-time reflections and animation. Environment mapping enables real-time reflections on objects such as the statue inside the cathedral. Dynamic movements of trees and banners are made possible through the use of vertex deformation and skeletal animation.
    ■Free tools. Epic’s Unreal Development Kit (UDK), available for free download at http://www.udk.com/download, ships with the same tools and technologies used to create Epic Citadel.
    “Epic Citadel” is available for free from the App Store on iPad, Phone and iPod touch. For more information about “Epic Citadel,” visit http://www.epic-citadel.com

source: http://www.epicgames.com/news/epic-games-brings-unreal-engine-3-to-ipad-iphone-and-ipod-touch/

13. RyoHazuki

RyoHazuki Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    UK
    I wish they'd stick to what they're good at and release a good first person shooter, the iPhone is badly lacking a good one with good online play.

I wasn't aware the iPhone was lacking a turn based gesture fighting game, probably 'cos it sounds dogtoffee, as good as the graphics are.

I wiss have to wait until I get my iPhone 4 to try the tech demo but it looks good.

14. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
  15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  16. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

it runs great onym iPod Touch 3G (it only feels strange when looking around, but not slow.)

17. Soi-Fong

Soi-Fong Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Illinois
    It has stuttered a few times with frame rate also on my iPhone 4, which is concerning since this tech demo does not have any AI or anything of the sort. Still, here's to hoping they can still optimize it more for the iPhone.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It was done in 8 weeks, though, and what you are seeing features all the bells and whistles. With more time for optimization you could very well see a steady framerate in a full game.

19. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I dunno, frame rate seemed really smooth to me. Amazing stuff - feels like almost PS3 quality running on your iPhone.
    Downloading the Unreal Engine to check it out.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #20 squarezero, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Actually, I agree with you -- as I mentioned earlier it felt smoother (and looked better) than, say, Oblivion on Bootcamp. People forget that they can play on airport mode and suspend most background processes, with fairly dramatic improvement in performance. PSPs, after all don't multitask.

Also, frame-rate drops happen in graphic-intesive games on all platforms.

Edit: One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, as far as I know: seems that Apple has made peace (or more likely, come to it's senses) with middleware.