iOS vs Android sales stats

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Quantus, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Anyone know where I can find statistics comparing iOS vs Android sales? I've heard the same app generally sells more on the Appstore. I'd like to know by how much and if trends are changing.

Any developers willing to share their numbers would be appreciated. No need for actual sales or revenue numbers. I'm specifically looking for ratios of Appstore to Playstore (or android markets combined).

2. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
  3. liteking

liteking Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Indie Game Developer
    Thanks for the link, NeilN :)
    Very informative

4. tghGaz

tghGaz Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I found that interesting too, thanks for posting it NeilN.

5. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    It looks like most people on GooglePlay just don't want to pay. So you better add iap, ads, sponsored links or whatever solution you've got to monetize your apps on android. Worst, a lot of the rare people buying the app will ask for a refund immediately (but that's Google fault, making it too easy). Android is cool because it is opening a lot more opportunities: there are more store than just googleplay and there are a lot of new platforms being released supporting android. But like everything else it isn't easy to make money on it.

JC

6. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    That's weirdly different to our experience. Right now we're making more income from Android than iOS. Not by a lot, but that's way different to the 9:1 ratio you get Neil.

Similar sorts of exposure levels too.

7. SonicSloth

SonicSloth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 19, 2012
    Games Developer
    Is it more from IAPs or from App sales on Android?

8. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I would say it's about even, ish. About 25-30% of customers go on to buy the expansion packs on either platform.

9. mokoolapps

mokoolapps Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Male
    Mobile App Developer
    Apple is much better on Revenue for sure, installs can vary on both.

I find that Android phones are often given cheaper (or free with contract), so people using it are looking more for free stuff vs Apple (you most of time pay for the phone).

10. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    For one of my games I have have 50 times more downloads on iOS than android (yeah amazing).

The other I released with a museum is fairly even with android slightly more (which really surprised me).

11. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    For free to play games, in general, PikPok is experiencing 2x downloads or more on Android over iOS, while receiving 2x revenue or more on iOS over Android.

In other words, we are finding the absolute revenue opportunity is more or less the same on both platforms, but we need to make twice as many downloads on Android as iOS because each download on Android only generates half as much revenue.

12. CrystalFortress

CrystalFortress Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    With Android you can use multiple app stores to bolster the sales somewhat such as the Amazon App Store (Which has quality control unlike Google Play). Though I'm only now planning on publishing some things to Android.

13. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I think the reason I have better results in iOS is the individual sections for games make them easier to find. In google play if you are not popular you get buried. You need to find other ways than hope they find you in the store.

14. 8-Bit Avrin

8-Bit Avrin Member

May 10, 2012
  15. Jungle Friend Studios

Aug 19, 2013
    CEO
    USA/Philippines
    Markets

I think this will depend highly on what markets you are going after. An extreme example would be if your game was only in Korean - Korean's mobile market is like 90% android, so that would make more sense :)

Keep in mind that not everyone is an English developer, but that allows partnerships galore to thrive and prosper.