I wish I could "Follow" Developers in the App Store

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by quantumpotato_, Sep 22, 2015.

1. quantumpotato_

quantumpotato_ Active Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Developer
    Discovery on the App Store is horribly broken. The games which spent a lot on marketing make a lot of money then get shown as the "Top Grossing Apps".. and the cycle continues.

I don't know how to find new indie games on the App Store.

I wish I could "Follow" or Subscribe to a Developer so I stay up to date with their games.

It'd be cool if Developers could post "Recommended Games" by other devs in their App store profile page instead of having to custom implement this within their app.

Anyone else?

2. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Speaking as a developer, we'd love that too. In the meantime we've set up an email news list (currently in testing stage) for anyone who wants the latest on what we're doing at : http://www.strangeflavour.com/newsletter/ and of course have a twitter feed at @strangeflavour
    (we've got a Facebook group as well, but we're finding FB to be a bit pointless as they only send anything you post to about 5% of your followers).

If you really like a particular developer's games, it's worth checking on the app page on iTunes for their marketing or support link and see if they have an email list or twitter feed on their website. That and of course give nice reviews for their games!

Hopefully Apple will add some of the Apple Music style features to apps soon :)

3. quantumpotato_

quantumpotato_ Active Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Developer
  4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I agree. This would be a great feature. A follow feature that the devs can customize themselves so that apple doesnt have to do anything. A virtual stall with the Devs' titles, their own recommendations, and even links to itunes music store for their games' soundtracks or something.

5. wonderspark

wonderspark Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Being able to follow developers would be fantastic. The only problem is that Apple doesn't seem to be particularly good at this sort of thing. They tried something like that before with Ping, and again they're trying it with the ability to follow bands. They've gotta make it actually prominent some way - either a new game comes out & you get a notification, or it's a section on the front page of iTunes, or something that's that in-your-face. But that means they'd really have to go whole hog on following, because as long as it's a second or third-tier feature, it doesn't *work* the way it should.

Following an artist should override editorial content - but they're not gonna let that happen.