How do your organize your iPhone/iPad games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by shlem90, Jan 23, 2013.

1. shlem90

shlem90 New Member

Nov 6, 2012
    With the holidays and an onslaught of iTunes gift cards past us, I now have tons of games and no idea what folders to use or where to put any of these new apps. I usually do this by category (endless, strategy...) but even that's qualifier is getting blurry with so many puzzle games. Any ideas on different ways to sort everything?

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I organize them all alphabetically. For letters with few games, I group them together (ex: X-Z).

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I just order them in order of download, reminds me I should be a bit more specific how I organise them.

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I don't organize at all...

Though I can always tell someone which game is on which page and what position, even the ones I haven't opened once since downloading months ago. Good memory, I guess?

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I put most of them in folders such as 80s, 90s, Platform I, Platform II, Shoot em up, Sport, RPG etc.

I have a 'Best' folder but thats now grown to 2 folders (and thats on the ipod touch 5 so that means each has an extra row)

I'm not OCD or that but i cant stand it when i see a friends phone and they dont even bother using folders, icons all over the place - bizarre.

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I just make folders and throw apps in randomly, except on the second page. There I have a folder of my top games and another folder for apps which I usually play also other folders for photography, RPG, FPS and such. I rarely scroll around, I mostly use the search function to open apps.

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I always run out of pages to put them in. Then the next download just never appears...

Hate folders. Games in there never get played.

8. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Same here! I keep trying to train myself to use folders, but no dice.

9. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I've always used the type of genre of game to label my folders as most do but break them down even more such as Racers and then separate even more by labeling another TD Racers (for top down racers).
    I also use Match3, Platformer, Brickbreaker, DualShooter, SideShooter, TDShooter (top down shooter).
    For puzzles I label them as Tangrams, Mahjong, Blocks or simply Puzzle.

For me its easier in finding then to have them scattered or trying to use the search find option as I will forget the exact wording of the game at times.

10. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark

I have a similar setup.
    I remember before Apple implemented folders, it was horrific, and I kept running out of pages so my games had to be started from the search page.
    Can't wrap my head around that some people don't use them...

11. 2133

2133 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Student
    Indonesia
    I put the games on the first column of my home screen. All of my apps are. So I can see my beautiful wallpaper :p

12. shlem90

shlem90 New Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I like by genre too, but I am like in that "in between" where there are too many games to just have "puzzle" but not enough for "match ." I feel like doing this also allows me to group by publisher too which helps my OCD just a little.

13. OneHitGamer

OneHitGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Game Developer
    Florida
    All RPGs go in folders "RPGs 1, RPGs 2" etc
    All "Vehicle Games" go into a folder.
    Anything that has multiple in a series go into a folder ie: "Angry Birds" or "Fortune Series".
    Tower Defense games go into folder. All random games that don't fit into a specific category stay on pages.
    GameVille games go into GameVille folder.
    Minecraft style games go into Minecraft folder ie: Minecraft PE, Junk Jack, Eden etc

I make several Programs folders for apps. I treat my idevices like I do my computer. Programs go in programs folder and games in games folder only indevidualised for series or collections of the same style game. I always keep app store and safari on bottom bar for quick thumb access. Along with music and appshopper.

14. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I have a few loose categories (ie: platformers, dual stick, etc) and a few misc categories that has random games (ie: long, quick, etc). Then I have one folder I just call "games" that I dump all new games into. This last folder is a reminder for me to try what I download and delete them or move them into a category. Once this folder is full, I stop downloading new games until I make room. This has worked so far since now a days I have ~60 games of different genres on my iPod touch that I may want to play. I have about 4-8 new games to try and delete.

15. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    By genre and sub genre if its a game type which have many like rpgs (jrpg, krpg,wrpg,etc.)

16. OneHitGamer

OneHitGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Game Developer
    Florida

Hmm I never thought of labeling a folder for dual stick games. They ussually end up randomly scattered. Will have to do that lol

I have about 200 plus games on my iPod touch 4th gen 32gb. I'm constantly on appshopper locating free games or games that go free. If I don't have room, or at least I don't wanna use up my space for said game, I always go ahead and start the download then stop it and remove game. This way it registers to my iTunes account that I own it now. So I don't miss out on the free promotion. Then at any time I can go fetch it up without having to buy it when free promotion ends.

17. In order to force myself to use folders, I put every game in a folder. Here are my current categories:

Arcade
    Card
    Dice
    Endless
    Euro-Style
    Pinball
    Puzzle
    Random
    Strategy
    Word

If I can't fit something into a folder because the folder is full, then I prune down the games in that folder to the ones I play the most.

TBH, I really don't know why I keep buying new games, because when I look over my entire game collection, I have enough to keep me busy until 2015 or so...

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hope you buy some as well to help out the poor devs ! If we all went looking for free games the app store would disappear as no one would make any money !

When apps are sooooo cheap its great.

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I have a "current gaming" folder I keep on my home screen, then on my last page of the device I have the games sorted in folders by genre.

Atm I think I have only around 20 on my device. I try to keep it low.

20. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Have a 'Classic' folder with 11 games that'll never leave.

I'm jailbroken, so the second page of my dock is the 4-5 I'm currently playing the most.

Page 2 is reserved for every other game in between; it's usually filled up, but gotta watch the space with only 16 gb.