What Game Is Super Popular at Your School Right Now?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Eli, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

#1 Eli, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Hey dudes,

Something I randomly thought of today is that it'd be rad if we had a thread here where people post the random weird games that are super popular at your school, at work, or amongst your friends right now. It seems like it's at this level where those super viral smash hits start off, and I'm kind of curious if we could ever track how it all works out. i.e. someone mentioned Flappy Bird was huge at their school a few months before it blew up as big as it did.

So, if you want to contribute to this weird data collection with the potential future ability to say "Huh, so that was huge in __________ a few months ago," post what games are blowing up around you right now. Another interesting data point would be where this is happening, and it's really up to you on what level of detail you want to provide to your actual school, up to city and state, or even just country if you're super paranoid about those things.

If we discover just one sleeper hit because of this thread, that would be unbelievably cool. I'm not sure how much value there is in posting obvious games like "Oh Minecraft is really big," but rather, just weirdo titles that aren't really charting anywhere that a group of people you know can't get enough of. If we get enough participation in this, we might even work it in to front page stories so POTENTIAL INTERNET FAME AWAITS! Maybe. :)

Thanks!

Edit: Serious posts only please.

2. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Triviados, although now it's called Atriviate or something like that. That was a couple of years ago at high school. I highly doubt it's still popular.

3. CL1NT_B3ASTW00D

CL1NT_B3ASTW00D Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Believe it or not, COC is still going strong at my high school, though nobody talks about it or anything. It's amazing how quickly the AppStore became oversaturated with timer based base builders. Other then that, Flappy Bird and its numerous clones.

4. PrototyperGame

PrototyperGame Active Member

Sep 21, 2014
    Developers
    US and TW
    How about Candy Crush Saga or Soda. Is King.com really not as good as before?

5. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    COC and let's get rich.... The notification for let's get rich is pretty annoying though...

6. Professor jermiah

Professor jermiah Active Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Words with friends(new version) got popular all of a sudden in my school, for no reason.

7. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    College students playing clash of clans when the professor isn't looking.

8. digikhel

digikhel Active Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Design, Dev, and marketing
    Bangalore, India
    Any simple multiplayer games? CoC is more tending towards core gamers, nein?

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Xcom is the biggest hit at my friends office, there's 6-7 of them sat around at their lunch break eating and playing Xcom. :D

10. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Friends my age (late twenties) pretty much just do the Candy Crush thing, although I did get everyone to download Super Stickman Golf 2. We had some epic 8 player battles.

11. ElizaMed

ElizaMed New Member

Dec 23, 2014
    #11 ElizaMed, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  12. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    AA is pretty crazy popular in my group of non-gamer friends.

13. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Candy Crush is the only one I hear anybody at work talking about now, before that it was Angry Birds.

14. DaynjaDog

DaynjaDog Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Make it Rain

15. alan54

alan54 Member

Jan 24, 2015
    CoC

one would have thought it had gone long enough ... remarcably it's still very popular.

16. iamagame

iamagame Active Member

Nov 19, 2014
    My cousins are always playing Cookie run.

17. Divorced

Divorced Member

Oct 22, 2014
    California
    Tap Titans has gotten a lot of players here the last few weeks and the usual Puzzles & Dragons and CoC for the last few years still.

18. mrm83

mrm83 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Toronto
    i still don't understand why candy crush is so popular..

bejewel clone in the form of candies with levels...

19. Ginakxx

Ginakxx Member

Aug 29, 2014
    League of Angels: Fire Raiders is very popular among my friends. Its popularity is because two of my friends start the game competition between them and spread out to others. Right now I involve in it and we start a guild!

20. Myqpalzm

Myqpalzm Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Pamulang, Indonesia
    At my school, nearly everyone in my class plays any games with the word LINE in the title, like LINE Let's Get Rich, LINE Ranger, etc. LINE Let's Get Rich is just a Monopoly clone with a few twist, like timers and some extra currencies. If I have to choose, I'll rather play my Star Wars Monopoly with my brother. LINE Ranger plays like Metal Slug Defense or any other similar game. I never tried it though.

Clash on Clan suddenly got popular some weeks ago. Candy Crush is surprisingly not a big hit at my class. The Five Nights at Freddy's series is still a popular thing, but it's fading.

It's just so sad that I'm the only one in the class that plays Star Wars KOTOR, MHFU, XCOM: EW and Frozen Synapse.