Universal FINAL FANTASY IV - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 19, 2012.

1. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Should I want to play this on my iPad 4 or iPhone 5 for a superior experience? I gotta stick with one but I wish it had iCloud ;(

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Just download it on both and see which you prefer. It is a universal build...

3. Johnny1st

Johnny1st Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    How can you play ff6 on iphone?

4. Romeo Longsword

Romeo Longsword Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Hong Kong, London, Osaka
    It's a great game. I have played it when I was a child on 8 bit, the story is still great after 20 years hehe, the revamp is impressive, I was more into the 8 bit graphic at first, having played about 10 hours or so and watch the cut secnce, it is a fantastic update.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Jailbreak + SNES emulator

6. Guibs

Guibs Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Had a similar decision to make (ipad3 vs iPod touch 5th) and went with the iPad just for the bigger screen. I hope too they get some iCloud save sync in place.

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The iPhone 5 screen is either slightly stretched or with FFIV borders so iPad might preserve the original aspect ratio better.

8. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Sorry to break this to you bud, but the game was a SNES title - a 16bit machine :) The NES was 8bit and that had the first 3 FF titles, not FF4 :)

All in all, I like the NDS/IOS version but I most definitely prefer the Complete Collection on PSP. Now *that* is a remake/restyle that I enjoyed.

9. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Why is the graphics on the psp not 3d? I guess it was just a port + FMV and not a remake?

Not that there's anything wrong with the old graphics (I grew up a 16-bit boy, loving all the Genesis classics). Just curious.

10. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Trying to shortchange ff4 by a whole 8 bits! ;P. I didn't play the psp remake but as a comparison, the psp remake of Lunar silver star is the ultimate way to update. Perfect graphical overhaul there, that's what the chibi ff games need.

11. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    So I'm better off with iPad playing? I guess then I'd mostly play at home anyways

12. X6m

X6m Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Is the game worth getting, how does it hold up on the Ipad.

13. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have only installed it on my iPhone. My iPad is full from all these Christmas bargains.

I do think it might play better on an iPad because I had a few niggles with the virtual joystick on the small iPhone screen.

Maybe someone who has actually played it on an iPad can chime in?

14. sabin1981

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Oh no, it's VERY much a remake. Check it out :)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not to mention the PSP version also comes with the new "Prelude" sequel as well as the visually updated Wii version "The After Years" :) It was more than a bit of a disappointment to see that iOS gamers got the 3D remake rather than the 2D one, but I guess if it convinces Square to bring FFV and FFVI remakes to iOS then I'm all for it ^_^

Aye, likewise - I'm a SNES boy myself, but I grew up with the,m all :)

As you can see above, the PSP version goes above and beyond - it looks gorgeous and it looks even better in motion, especially some of the new spell effects.

Well I can't compare it to the iPod/Phone since my Pod is broken, but it feels really good on the iPad. Typical clunky Square-Enix floating d-pad ... though you do get used to it after a while and the larger screen real estate is MUCH appreciated.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Great post... LOL.

And with a name like Sabin1981, i bet you are itchin for some FF6! :D

16. sabin1981

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Hell yeah! I'm really curious to see how SE handle an updated version, whether they really are going the 3D route as Shinji Hashimoto hinted at back in 2010 (when he said "there are technical issues bringing FFV and FFVI to the NDS" which certainly implies they've tried/considered it before later saying "We want to look at the 3DS and see how it evolves") or whether they'll go the Complete Collection way .. taking the original SNES title and giving it a delicious lick of paint. We DO know that FFV is coming soon, at least, though whether this is FFIV-3D style or not remains to be seen.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Somehow, i feel the new 3d chibi style seems fresh for the FF remakes and they do a good job at remaking the game, but they just dont offer that bit of nostalgia that made the SNES era a great part of my childhood.

Still... i'd play em all. LOL

18. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #198 undeadcow, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    I understand FFIV: The After Years was originally a mobile game released in 2008 which suggests it might end up being ported as it's own app if FFIV does well or at SE's whim (similar to FF Dimensions which also started as a mobile game).

One thing I noticed about the iOS port of FFIV is that when you die and continue from the main menu it takes you back to the exact location you died. Technically you could proceed, die, continue, then proceed farther... it would be a pain but a dedicated player could mine a dungeon without ever winning a battle.

19. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #199 Riotgirl, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    Despite being 2/3 through FFIII, I couldn't resist and bought FFIV. The 3D graphics are better than FFIII, the characters are a lot more fluid in movement, and the menu system is neater.

I would prefer the job system, and I'm withholding judgement on ABS [active battle system] for the time being. Have to admit, I dislike ABS - but that's the evolution from strictly turn based to more fluid combat, given when this game was originally released.

The narrative is more mature and has more depth. Too early for me to develop any connection with the characters, although I do like NPCs possessing different perspectives on the situation in which you find the characters.

It is taking me time to adjust and warm to the characters and to the changes to the game mechanics. I put the difficulty level to 'hard' - sure enough, adopting FFIII tactics and having to grind random encounters, as well as progress a certain distance into the dungeon, and then exit the dungeon to save progress on the World Map. Gil feels much harder to gain, and I'm only a little ahead on what I save on inn costs to recuperate.

Now that Cecil and Kain are both level 13, I'm able to progress through more random encounters before recuperating at the inn. Time to complete the first dungeon.

Note: now at Kaipo (Damcyan Desert). The narrative has now drawn me into the game, without wishing to spoil things for any other first-time players.

20. Hey Guys Video Walkthrough for FF4 For Dem Newbs: