Call of Duty's new "social subscription service"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by natedogg213, May 31, 2011.

1. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/05/31/confused-about-call-of-duty-elite-youre-not-alone/

http://kotaku.com/5806775/how-call-of-duty-elite-works-and-why-you-might-be-paying-for-it

Wow, Activision seems to be putting in an extraordinary amount of effort to nickle and dime gamers. These articles refer to "Call of Duty Elite," which apparently offers some free and subscription based content. Yet, nobody knows what is free or not, or what Activision is going to charge. Kotaku says Elite will include stat-tracking, lots of social-networking options and a bevy of competitions, some of which will be organized like the season of a professional sport.

First $15 for 4-5 map packs and now this. I hope BF3 blows this game out of the water.

:mad:

2. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Who cares. Screw Call of Duty. Real gamers know that Battlefield owns CODs sorry ass. Lazy gamers who just follow the herd out of convenience more than anything, end up playing Call of Duty.

And it's just like all those idiots who are stupid enough to download some freeium craap and then pour tons on money into consumable IAP. It only works on the weak-minded. Kind of like the Jedi Mind trick.

3. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    I have both Battlefield: BC2 and Black Ops, and enjoy them both (BC2 is superior to BO, especially on PC), but it drives me nuts watching one of my favorite series get flushed down the toilet by Activision and IW. The original COD, COD2 and COD4:WM were fantastic and ground-breaking. But since Cod4:MW, it has turned into a repetitive franchise like the Madden series, Tony Hawk Series and the doomed Guitar Hero series.

As for your comment about IAP, I don't like them either but to each his own. The thing that bugs me most about them is that I am a competitive gamer, and am not interested in games for which competitive advantage can be purchased.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If this works we can probably expect the "big thing" of 2012 to be subscriptions for every damn game we buy. Utterly shameful if you ask me, talk about maximum milkage. Activision are abusing CoD's popularity and using it to squeeze more money out of the very people it owes its success to in the first place. What a strange way to say thank you.

5. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    The video on the Kotaku page is worth watching if only for the last ten seconds.

6. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
  7. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I saw that too :D

8. Neptunes

Neptunes Active Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Virginia
    I guess that $1 billion in sales isn't good enough.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm not sure how in this day and age this is still a surprise to people, but Activision is a publicly traded company whose sole goal is to turn as large of a profit as possible. So, no, $1b in sales isn't good enough.

Console games have already been trending this way for a while now with the online keys that you need to buy for $10 if you bought the game used. This is just the next step. Don't like it, don't buy it.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That's not even close to the same thing.

11. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

agreed a company wanting to make some money off of used games is reasonable. A company wanting to make more money off of a game that makes tonnes already is greedy. The worst thing of all is people will still do this. People buy the map packs which are way over priced so Im guessing theyll still pay for this. It does suck that COD is about money now and not about making a great game. I miss COD4 :(

12. b00mers

b00mers Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    whiterun
    i dont think its that $1b is not good enough in sales, its just that they are trying to get as much profit as possible, so if this is done by the whole subscription process, then activision will do it. this is the company that has used the same game engine for 4 games after all... and the thing about this being the next step, i dont think so, as it online keys are alot different to subscriptions