Eye Strain and Neck Pain

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by gezoyte, Mar 22, 2017.

1. gezoyte

gezoyte Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Hey folks! Odd place to ask but looking for some tips. I work in an office so I stare at a PC all day.

Lately I have been playing games on my iPhone to pass the time. I've noticed some eye strain type headaches and I'm curious if you all have tips for this, as mobile gamers.

I haven't really played much since Gameboy back in the day. I'm on an iPhone 6 if that matters.

Might sound cheesy, but figured this was a good place to ask :)

2. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    #2 Jakeopp, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Well, this may sound obvious, but try to take breaks from starring at any screen for too long. I have had similar issues and it usually helps me to get up/walk around/stretch things out after a while.

Edit: Also, good posture is important (probably obvious again). I tend to hunch over or slouch a lot & that can give me issues if I do it for too long.

3. gezoyte

gezoyte Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Analyst
    Natural State
    No you're fine, I'm up for any advice. Just found it odd b/c I'm used to screens all day then gaming at home and I'm fine. I think maybe b/c I'm looking down or something.

4. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Did you just recently start having these issues after you started gaming on your phone?

5. gezoyte

gezoyte Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Seems that way, but work is also more stressful than normal, so it could just be stress related.

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    This should be in the 'Old Farts' threads! Lots of us are dealing with this! Or at some point we will to be sure! You use reading glasses to play with your device, and after extended periods of time you get fatigued and the screen gets blurry, and after you take your glasses off, EVERYTHING is blurry, you get a headache, and it takes a while to feel back to normal! Or take a nap! #I'm sure stress can be a factor, tiredness as well. Definitely age will be a factor though. I know this through personal experience! # Just like everything else though, do things in moderation, take breaks, do something else for a bit and then come back. But you know you hear your device calling for you wanting attention, and you can't resist coming back as soon as you can!! LOL!!

7. gezoyte

gezoyte Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Analyst
    Natural State
    So it's pretty much because I'm a grumpy old man! GET OFF MY LAWN KIDS.

8. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I personally have a train wreck of a spine and lots of neck and head pains because of it. Probably the most useful treatment I've used is doing "range of motion" exercises for my neck. You can look it up on YouTube and find tons of videos showing you what and how to do them. its basically just stretching exercises you do while sitting in a chair but when I'm really hurting it makes all the difference.

Good luck my friend.

9. gezoyte

gezoyte Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Analyst
    Natural State
    On it. Thank you!!

10. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Finding that using the "range of motion technique" does help my neck and upper back region. Good info, thanks!

11. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, that does work! I've been doing that for years! You gotta move around if you're gonna be in one spot!

12. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've always fancied a pair of Gunnar glasses for my PC have never splashed the cash though given the prices (I'm also sure you can probably get the same thing cheaper not from Gunnar).

There are also a few software programs like F.lux that claim to make things easier on your eyes as well.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Teknikal: interesting glasses, bookmarked ;)

@gezoyte: The above reminded me: Since Apple introduced "Night Mode" (warmer colors, less blue) , I use it almost permanently, as it is much easier on my eyes (I sit in front of a computer all day too) . Did you give that a shot yet, if it makes a difference for you?

14. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Hmmmm. Good idea! Honestly, I didn't know that and have never used it! Wonder if I can get that on my iPad? Looked in display/brightness and didn't see an option for that.

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I cannot remember if I had to activate in the Settings first. If yes, it's under "Display & Brightness". You can even set it to automatically switch on, and set the color temperature.
    Then, when swipe up to get the CommandCenter (or whatsitcalled), I have a big button "Night Shift: On".

However, if I recall right, they only added Nightmode with iOS 10.

16. Nsprielaw

Nsprielaw New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    In order to ensure that the eyes do not hurt and eyesight does not deteriorate, it is necessary to do exercises for the muscles of the eyes and neck. Systematic exercises improve vision and remove pain in the neck

17. Warmskin

Warmskin Active Member

Jun 20, 2015
    If it hasn't been already mentioned, when sitting in front of the PC, your eye level should be lined up straight with the top of the monitor. Not the edge or border but the actual screen part itself at the very top. A comfortable chair is important but not TOO comfy. You don't want to be sinking down in it. I had problems for years at a desk with a monitor in front of me. Also, if you're writing or reading something, don't have your head tilted all the way down looking at whatever you have on the desk itself. Use something to elevate the work you have in front of you at an angle. I found a large 3-ring binder, empty, one the three inch jobs (up off the desk at the top), filled the bill quite nicely. Or you could always do what I did, RETIRE! # I've been much better since I did that! No stress, less pain... less money, of course. But, you only live once, as they say. Now if I could only get rid of my Carpel Tunnel from years of playing games, I'd be doing great! Good luck to you.