Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
"I would buy this game if it had less content."

Yes but doodle jump 25-100mb and that's years old with tons of content and updates, what here justifys the size?
Only having a 16gig iPad usually means big games get deleted first and where as doodle jump can stay this would likely be deleted within the week due to its size so there's no point in picking it up.

Maybe an explanation of why its so big from the devs?

For me anyway size is way more of an issue than price,
Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
"I would buy this game if it had less content."

Not really what he said.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Regarding file size, the only time a small filesize is shunned seems to be when the App Store describes it as being an epic adventure with unforgettable setpieces and ... whatever else. Stuff that is a scam, obviously. Like if an Elder Scrolls game were to come out on the App Store, it is safe to assume it would be at least 1 GB. But if an app came out that was 4 MB, people would be suspicious.

Overall, smaller file sizes are much more appreciated, especially for casual games such as this one, partly because that means they can be downloaded over a cellular connection which is an important factor in deciding whether or not to buy said game.

Larger games usually mean larger and more expansive experiences. When I think of a jumper, I think sub-100 MB, at the very most being 70 or so. Casual games generally shouldn't be higher than 100 MB.

If a game like Banana Kong can pack in as much content as it has for 46.7 MB, Jetpack Joyride with 40.8 MB, Mega Dead Pixel for 33.8 MB, Wake the Cat for 48 MB, and pretty much any well-known and widely-lauded casual game on the App Store for sub-100 MB (mostly sub-50 MB from what I've seen actually), there's no reason an app like Pocket God: Ooga Jump should be any different.

Only exception I can think of is if you can unlock Pocket God comic strips or animations in the game. If that is the case, then I can understand the high MB file size. But generally, casual games =/= large files, and that's always been an unwritten rule on the App Store.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Developer

Hey Guys,

This is dave from Bolt. The size is because everything is retina level graphics and the themes have a ton of detail. they aren't just the same repeating bitmap. retina graphics are 4x the size of non retina and we always go over the top when it comes to animation and graphics so it ends up kind of big.

Also, the marketing graphics are a mistake, apple reviewed our app before we had a chance to replace the actual screenshots, those were just temporary. we actually have an update that is about to come through any minute that will fix that.

We are actually considering making the retina level graphics an option, so that you get the non retina version with the app which will make it 75% smaller, and then you can download the extra retina level if you want them.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Developer

Here's my state of the island for Ooga Jump. It has a lot more info about the game.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...29#post3015429

Closed Thread