Top 3 RPG games for iPhone

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by timedblades, Nov 18, 2013.

1. I love Silversword, too ;-)

If top RPG means "top graphics" (e.g. Infinity Blade), then I have to find another categorization for my game. RPG is not RPG.

Kind regards
    Mario

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Infinity Blade isnt an RPG at all, shouldnt be in any list.

My top 3 RPG's..

Aralon - Had a lot of fun with this
    Ravensword 1 and 2
    9th Dawn - My favourite, its like having an old Ultima IV style game on your iphone. Non-linear, sub missions, can just go killing goblins etc, a brilliant game.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    IB3 isn't an RPG, while your Silversword definitely is. So no need to worry ;)

Slightly offtopic:
    I really tried to get into Silversword a year or so ago, but was turned off by the then(?) terrible movement interface. That, and as someone who grew up playing all 3 original Bard's Tales (on Datasette, to boot) and other games of the time, Silversword just felt too old-school to me. Couldn't wrap my head around it anymore.

4. Shaarr

Shaarr New Member

Dec 6, 2013
    East Coast, US
    Zenonia is also a fantastic Adventure/RPG

5. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I think the reason is that there are places in silversword that no matter how many levels you are, there are places in the game that you can't get passed. Have mentioned this to the dev on several occasions and sadly they claim that is how the older rpg games were, which sadly they weren't. Oh sure, I know you can die and all that, but if there are "choke" points in the adventure, it no longer is an adventure but hoping for good rolls initially.

6. Sorry for the late reaction.
    I can only think of one single square that isn't passable.

As for good rolls: With three different game modes right now, you can eliminate some of the randomness.

Kind regards
    Mario

7. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    The World Ends With You
    Oceanhorn
    Ravensword: Shadowlands

Runner ups:
    Aralon
    Final fantasy 4 (NOT FF4tAY)

8. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I think Bastion deserves a mention.

Thanks

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #29 Exact-Psience, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    If it's an RPG then yeah. After all it's one of the best games on iOS. ;)

EDIT: Oh and my picks right now:

iOS originals:
    Chaos Rings 2
    Doom & Destiny
    Symphony of Origin

honorable mentions:
    Dungelot
    Swordigo
    Ravensword 2

Ports:
    KOTOR
    TWEWY
    XCOM:EU

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Top 3 eh? Tough choice.

1. The Quest - I have spent countless hours playing this massive game and haven't even touch any expansions yet (I buy them to support the devs though)

2. Cavern - More of a rogue-like but with loot system of Diablo and some fixed content mixed with randomly generated areas. An IOS gem that has been generously updated since release and should not be missed.

3. Pocket RPG - Another IOS original that's likely to be more action-RPG than RPG-Action but nonetheless is very entertaining. Randomly generated levels and an interesting level-up/unlock concept keep me coming back for more.

Honourable mentions: Avadon The black fortress (a port, but an amazing turn-based RPG that brings back memories of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2). Dungeonism - plays sort of like a rogue-like but no permadeath, however it oozes style and originality (buy it now, basically)

11. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    #31 Topherunhinged, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    To see such taste... ah.

I'd definitely throw The Quest and Undercroft on my list, then probably fill it out with Avernum; beyond that series, a few blobers and rouge-likes there isn't much I care for.

*wait... Baldur's Gate. Top of my list. I just keep forgetting that these got an iOS release.

12. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    #32 Womble, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Baldurs gate - ill lump them together
    Kotor
    And

Hmmm...

Probably Undercroft.

If no ports of old pc games, then add The Quest and chaos rings 2.

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Fall of Angels
    Kingturn series
    Final Fantasy VI (FF Dimensions is great too)

Runners up: Lunar Silver Star Story, WazHack, Cavern, The Quest, Mission Europa, Gurk III, 9th Dawn, Nameless: The Hackers, Dungeon Plunder...